New to forum, New to diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie Berber, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie Berber

Julie Berber Member

Hello, my name is Julie. I have a 3 year old female cat named Nippet. She was a healthy 11lb cat. 4 months ago she became very tired, stopped playing, and started loosing weight. Took her to the vet and they gave her steroid shot and sent her on her way. She started loosing even more weight. I took her to another Vet. She was diagnosed with diabetes. First week we tried just changing her food. We got her levels from 440 to 404. Had her retested at week 2 with a 12 hour fast and she was still at 380. Vet put her on 4 units a day (2 per) of Vetsulin and they put her on script food. 8 days later, we rush her back to vet. Nippet was a whopping 6 lbs. She stopped eating the DM foods (both dry and wet). After a very expensive vet stay in the emergency clinic, Nippet was diagnosed with DKA. They now have her on 8 units a day (4 units each). They wanted her to still eat the wet DM food. Shes refused to eat it. Now at 5 lbs 14 oz I've put her on anything she will eat. CORE, INSTINCT and Fancy Feast seem to have done it and now shes eating like shes starved. Guess she was... Now just scared to death I'm going to loose her...

Also would like to add, her levels at the hospital was 580. By the curve it never got below 360 even with 4 units of Vetsulin. They think because she was stressed out, and sent her home in the hope she can calm down. I don't have a meter yet. I would like someone to give me some options on meters PLEASE. They have brought but if she doesn't start to respond to the insulin, she might be insulin resistant... Im so dang lost on everything at this point.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Julie and Nippet. My heart goes out to you Julie. Not only for what you are going through now but because I too had a young kitty diagnosed (4yrs old in my case) and it's heartbreaking when they are so young. You have had a harder time with Nippet (love her name!) with the DKA on top of the diabetes.

Take some deep breathes. There is an extraordinary knowledge base here and we are here to help in whatever way we can to get you and Nippet on a better path.

The dose of insulin Nippet is on seems very high for kitty only diagnose a few months ago so please join us on the Health forum HERE and ask any and all questions you have. Give us a few more details about Nippet like when she was diagnosed, when insulin was started, how much the insulin was increased at a time, and if she has any other health issues so we have some more details to consider when responding. Please also let us know if you are home testing and if so what glucometer you are using and your general location helps too so if you need any supplies etc. we can offer suggestions appropriate for you.

More deep breathes now. You are in the right place to get the assistance you need for Nippet!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Julie Berber

Julie Berber Member

No other illness. Nippet went from 2 units twice a day (4 units a day) to now 4 units (8 units a day) in 1 1/2 weeks. Shes only been on insulin for about 3 weeks now. They upped it when she was hospitalized with the DKA and she was not responding to insulin. She went from 380 with no insulin to 580 while at the vets with them adjusting the insulin each day. They sent her home at 8 units a day. I honestly feel its too much. She goes back for her 2nd Curve on the 8th. I think the trip is stressing her out WAY to much. I rather home test her.

Thank you for the link. I definitely have a million questions to ask.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We'll look for you on the main health forum. The dose she's on after only 3 weeks of insulin therapy is awfully high. Home testing of blood glucose is the key to figuring all this out and keeping her safe. :)

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Don't worry Julie. You are going to find all the help you and Nippet need and want here! I'll be watching for you.

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome, Julie & Nippet. :bighug:

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Julie and Nippet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.