New to forum - thinking of adopting a diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cookbook, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookbook

cookbook New Member

Hi folks :)

I'm thinking of adopting a 10 year old cat with diabetes. I'm a retired RN and have diabetes myself which is now controlled with oral medication. I've been reading a lot about feline diabetes. It scares me! I'm not sure that I'd be able to give Elroy, the shelter named him, the care that he needs. I don't want to take him in and then not be able to care for him and disrupt his life more than it already has been. There's just something "in" me that keeps pulling me to that shelter's page. I see that cat, week after week, month after month - and no one wants him. I love animals and it breaks my heart.

Cost is a huge factor, from what I've read. The vet, where I think he "lives" now, has offered to donate all of his medical care at no charge. The board of directors at the shelter has agreed to donate all of his needed insulin and syringes. Those things would be beyond my ability to pay for as I live on a pension, so I was very pleased to read of their generosity.

I'm widowed, my adult son and I live together on the first floor of a two family house. My daughter lives upstairs, separate apartment, with four cats. My son "adopted" a cat about 4 years ago, a stray in the neighborhood. He was someone's cat at some point in time because he's very friendly and has what I call good house manners. I'll never understand how people can do that to a pet - abandon them to fend for themselves on the streets. We found out that he's FIV positive. The vet said there's nothing we can do other than feed him good food and love him. We do both :) He gets vet checked regularly, more often than a normal cat, just to be sure he's doing ok. She warned us that if he bites another cat, he could spread the FIV to an unvaccinated cat. He's an inside cat now - too many dangers outside -- cars, fleas, diseases, feral cats etc.

"Hey" (weird name with a long story behind it) is the first cat that ever owned us lol. We have always had dogs as pets. Our knowledge of cats has come from reading and practical experience. I've never introduced a cat into a household with another cat. I've read about it though. It's another area of concern that I have.

I'm not sure that Elroy would take to me or my son. Do cats settle in after a while and then it seems like they've always been here?

I hope that I'm not writing too much! I'm just really in need of help, guidance, opinions - good or bad. The needs and happiness of Elroy are what's important here! Please, don't be afraid of writing negative things!

If there are any questions that anyone may have, I'd be glad to answer them!

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I congratulate you on considering adopting a diabetic cat.
    Since you stated
    "Cost is a huge factor, from what I've read. The vet, where I think he "lives" now, has offered to donate all of his medical care at no charge. The board of directors at the shelter has agreed to donate all of his needed insulin and syringes. Those things would be beyond my ability to pay for as I live on a pension, so I was very pleased to read of their generosity."

Cost should not be a consideration and I would adopt the diabetic cat. I would not let the FIV+ cat stop the adoption.

I have only had two of my cats become diabetic. All the other ones were adopted as already diabetic, some be treated and some not.
    The last four were obtained from the local shelters and were not being treated. One went into remission after a month on insulin.

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to FDMB and thank you for wanting to adopt a sugar kitty (because they are extra sweet :cat:) I have had 4 sugar kitties, two of which were adopted.

Caring for a diabetic cat can be done economically. Getting the cat on a low carb/high protein canned food diet, home testing and using a long acting insulin will help a great deal in managing his diabetes. For food, you do not need to feed him prescription foods. Many of us feed our cats either Fancy Feast or Friskies canned foods. You can also feed Walmart Special Kitty canned food. Pate flavors are lower in carbs than anything with gravy in it. Almost all dry food is high in carbs.

Home testing will eliminate the need for taking him to the vet just to be tested. You will test before each shot to determine if it is safe to give the dose. Also home testing will tell you how well a dose is working and then you can determine if you need to change it. Don't worry, we can help you learn all of this.

Long acting insulins work best for most cats. Lantus and Levemir are human insulins. ProZinc and BCP PZI are pet insulins. They all work well. If your vet prescribes either Lantus or Levemir, ask for the prescriptions for the pens instead of a vial. With a vial, the insulin will become ineffective long before you can use it all. You will end up throwing away a lot of it. With the pens, one package of pens should give you enough insulin to last 9 months or more depending on your dose. Most cats only need 1 - 2 units twice daily.

It may take a few days for Elroy to settle in, but since he has been living in a cage, I expect it will happen very quickly. We can help you learn how to care for his diabetes. Since you are already familiar with diabetes, you probably will learn everything quickly. If you have any questions, post them on the Health board. That is the one that is visited the most.

cookbook likes this.
  4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

This is just a message from my heart: but your story struck a cord with me. I really wanted another horse (I had none at the time), and and in my mind, I wanted an older horse that was already trained, and I could just enjoy the trails on. But there was this advertisement in my local newspaper for weeks and weeks and weeks, for a 5 year old "unbroken" Arabian, and the add just kept jumping out at me. For months. In my heart, I guess I knew there was something, special, about this horse. Eventually, I enquired, went to see the horse, fell in love with him, adopted him, and he was my soul mate. I will never forget that horse. I think you should go with your heart. We can help you to save money on treatment and the fact that that his previous vet said that he will help will insulin and supplies is just an added bonus.

I would change his name.

Critter Mom and cookbook like this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Bless you for wanting to take in a "special needs" kitty! :)

cookbook likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you give him unconditional love? Can you promise that when his quality of life is bad, you'll give him the gift of a peaceful release?

If the answers to both are "yes", you're more than able to give him the care he needs.

The rest is gravy (but stay away from foods with it!!....LOL)

We can teach you everything else you need to know!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.