NEW TO FORUM

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Janet & Wendell, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janet & Wendell

Janet & Wendell New Member

Hello...my name is Janet and my cat Wendell, has been diagnosed with diabetes recently. He is going on insulin, and although I will do anything for my boy, I am a little nervous about learning to five him injections.
    Can anyone give me som advice as a newcomer to this?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Janet! We can certainly help you and Wendell. :) If you repost on the main health forum more people will see your message. Please give us some basic info so we can get started as soon as possible:
    1. what food you give Wendell
    2. what insulin has been prescribed and in what dose
    3. whether you have been/will be taught to test blood glucose at home
    4. if so, what blood glucose meter you will use
    5. whether Wendell has any other health issues and/or is on any meds.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Janet & Wendell

5. Janet & Wendell

sorry, I am not use to posting on forum. I will go to health forum to reply. Briefly, Wendell is on Purina DM (very costly) canned food. NO dry food. The insulin he will be taking is, don't have it yet...waiting for Fructose test results. Insulin mentioned was Provlin??? not sure of spelling. Will not be taking blood tests at home for now, just urine. Wendell is a senior at 12 years, has arthritis meds for this are homeopathis (all natural pain pills) and has hyperthyroidism, but vet said concerned how is counts are. Homeopathic meds have been given to him for many years. I am concerned how hungry he has been, likes the Purina DM, yet is losing weight. Will post on Health Forum thread in future

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

It's great that you're feeding low carb wet food only. Many of us feed grocery store brands like Friskies and Fancy Feast pates (no sauce/gravy types - too high in carbs) that are fine for diabetic cats and much more economical.

I think you mean ProZinc. My cat is on that. There are many here who can give you advice.

Will you be testing urine for glucose or ketones? The test strips for urine give only a very general idea of urine glucose levels. Blood glucose measurement is more important to know.

Unregulated diabetic cats are always hungry because they can't get enough glucose from their food into their cells. This hunger will improve as blood glucose numbers come down.

7. Janet & Wendell

Yes, you are correct, the insulin is Prozinc. I am only giving him this food (Purina DM) because it was recommended since he wasn't on insulen, just taken oral medicine Glipizide which doesn't seem to be working. I use to feed him Fancy Feast, regular Purina, Beyond wet food since I thought that was the best route to go to bring down his high sugar levels, but this didn't work. I think when I get him regulated on insulin, perhaps I can switch back. Not sure yet. The vet said I didn't have to test with his blood yet because I think she didn't want to overwhelm me. I feel, as I get use to giving him the injections, I will start to test using his blood. Wendell keytone levels are normal.
    Thank you are helping me, I will admit I am a bit frightened about starting the injections, but truthfully, I watched videos on how to and it doesn't look hard so I think once I actually start, everything else will fall into place.

8. Kris & Teasel

The oral diabetes meds are rarely a successful treatment for cats. A good insulin used properly in conjunction with a low carb high protein canned food (no need for DM) is the way to go.

Many vets don't want to overwhelm their new diabetic cat "parents" . Testing BG is much easier than you think and will give you great info on how Wendell is doing. Doing the injections is also much easier than you think once you get past the idea of having to do it. There are many ex-needle phobic people here. :)

Post any and all questions you have on the main health forum.

JanetNJ likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome Janet! I'm Janet too. :). You are in the right place for help and support. The first few weeks are scary and overwhelming, but it will all quickly become routine. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.