New to forum

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Larry Murphy, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Murphy

Larry Murphy New Member

My cat Tommy, 12 years old, was recently diagnosed with diabetes. The amount of information is overwhelming. I am about to try a glucose curve at home. I have watched many videos, read a lot and also had my vet show me how to test. Glad to finally find the forum. Wish me luck.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Larry and Tommy. You are in the right place for information and support as you learn the sugar dance. The amount of information can certainly seem overwhelming, but just take it step by step. Work on learning about the three basic components of effective diabetic treatment: diet, insulin therapy and home testing the blood sugar.

Good going on getting to the testing already, now you are going to help keep Tommy safe and know how the insulin is working for him.

I am providing some links that will walk you through creating the signature, adding profile information (in which you can tell us more about yourself and Tommy, if you wish), and then setting up the spreadsheet we use here. The spreadsheet is for recording the insulin dose and testing data you will be getting and is very helpful to you and other members to see how the insulin is working.

If you need help with the spreadsheet set up, please let us know. There are members who can assist or set it up for you.

We do wish you luck, testing is a process of patience and practice on both parts. I would be happy to provide some additional information about "desensitization", or getting both of you ready for and used to testing. Please start a new thread in the Main Health forum so that more members can meet you and Tommy, and help out with any questions and concerns going forward.

Just a note, if you are not able to complete the curve right away, and since you and Tommy are new to this that might not work out, please be sure to get a test before each injection at least. Just to be certain it's safe to "shoot" and keep Tommy safe. Getting a mid cycle test is good too, all data is good data. Give yourself time to learn how to do this, give Tommy time to learn that this new procedure is ok. :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.