New to group-could use advice on food change

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sandra Downie, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandra Downie

Sandra Downie New Member

Hello- since Purina is discontinuing Friskies Special Diet, I need to find an alternative. I contacted Purina to voice my disappointment as have others, but since profit is involved I don't expect them to change the decision. I've been feeding my 9 cats Special Diet for years & my Perkins, who is diabetic, has had problems with food changes (diagnosed 8 months ago), I'm looking for something comparable to what they've been eating that's hopefully reasonably priced if possible. Any suggestions?

2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

If you're in the US you might find the diet and nutrition post (in the FAQs forum) useful. It has a link to a spreadsheet with the carb (and other) counts of a wide variety of cat foods.

You'll want to change the food gradually, over the course of about a week, to try and avoid tummy upsets. I would also try to keep some of the current food in reserve in case one of your kitty has appetite issues down the track. Their old faithful food might be just what they need to get them eating again in those circumstances.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.