New to group, senior kitty and newly diagnosed...at a loss....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Imlah82, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imlah82

Imlah82 New Member

Hello, I found this site on accident while researching insulin. Yay! But bittersweet...

My kitty’s name is Jasper. He is a BEAST of a cat and I’ve become accustomed to hearing things like, “Is that your CAT???” The first time someone new meets him. I have had him since he was a kitten, and he’s always been solid, and large. Never fat. At 4YOA he was 15lbs. Now at 13YOA, he is 21lbs.

I wish I would’ve got him to the vet quicker but honestly he was his normal self until the day I noticed he missed his litter box and that the urine was tinged pink. I promptly took him to the vet. They tested him for everything, and found nothing kidney related. They told me he was probably diabetic but sent me home with antibiotics anyway. Two days later I got the call that his BG numbers were good, but there was concern he was hyperthyroid. Being as I have HYPO myself...I was confused as to how an overweight cat could be hyperthyroid but I am not a doctor. The vet told me to keep an eye on him and retest in a few weeks. Less than one week later I noticed blood inside his eye. Of course I called the vet and they couldn’t get me in, so I went to a local vet. The local vet looked over all his labs and said he saw no concerns of hyperthyroid from the blood work, was concerned about the eyes that remained fully dilated , and blood in the urine. He kept him overnight collected new urine and did new bloodwork. Two days later I receive a call saying his numbers slightly make him a pre-diabetic, but not officially diabetic. I the purchased the wet food Purina DM, though his current and only food at home is tiki cat (strangely more expensive then the DM) the vet said to keep him on this diet for two weeks and at that time he would then recheck him. Well, we made it ONE week into the new diet. He is completely blind now, he paces the house...seems lost, is still eating, is peeing a lot and in odd random places (still blood in the urine) and he now mostly lays next to his water bowl. He will at times come lay on the sofa next to me, collect a few snuggles and then return to water bowl. I took him back to the vet yesterday, he stayed overnight...new bloodwork, new urine testing. The vet says he now thinks he is full blown diabetic and his numbers were around 320 this time. He is thinking the two times a day insulin injection is what will be needed. I’m at a loss right now. The vet said that he’s concerned about the various things going on...the weight, blindness, and age. He initially told me that diabetes and insulin routines at this age can be hard on kitties and that it often doesn’t end well. I just want to do what’s best for my kitty. :( I don’t want to give up hope if it can get better..........

2. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Jasper's parent. I am so sorry that you are going through so much all at one time. I am really surprised that they didn't seem concerned about the blindness or blood in the eye. For the blood in the urine, it could be an infection, but it also could instead be inflammation of the urinary tract, interstitial cystitis or which will not be remedied by antibiotics. If it is an infection, that getting that cured could actually resolve the high blood glucose.

Two things: First, while we ask for general introductions here, we usually don't dive in too deep here because not all members visit the Welcome Forum at all. So I'd suggest copying and pasting your post over into the Main Forum (http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/) so that you get more eyes on it for the best advice. Second, you might want to at least browse over this recent post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...wing-going-around-in-circles-bg-lower.221786/ It just happens to discuss blindness, hyperthyroid and high blood pressure so it might be worth a read.

Hope to see you over there soon, and let us know what to call you -- first name only or even a nickname is just fine. And welcome. You are in the right place for you and Jasper to be able to get diabetes advice, and other experiences similar to Jasper's other issues.

Best,
    Sandi.

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

"Yay! But bittersweet" is right. This is the best place to be. We also had a Jasper, he loved hearing his name called and it's a great name.
    And... 21 pounds ain't nothing! This is what two 14 pound turkeys with four legs and a tail looks like.
    kobi004.JPG Kobiashi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.