New to group...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by wildcatwoods, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildcatwoods

wildcatwoods New Member

My female DSH cat Georgie was diagnosed in Nov 2014 with diabetes and was in ketoacidosis After IV fluids and monitoring, she was put on 2 units of Lantus once a day. I was unfamiliar with this illness so didn't question the vet. Several months later Georgie developed hepatic lipidosis and we almost lost her. She had a feeding tube put in by another vet and her insulin changed to 1 1/2 units twice a day of Lantus. This seemed to work - her readings were under 200 before food and in the 200s with food. I feed her wet low carb food and check her blood glucose often. A month ago she started going up to the 200s and 300s pre food and higher with food. Altho some days it was back to under 200 pre food. It was all over the place. I did a curve and the ER vet dropped her insulin to 1 unit of Lantus twice a day again. She is back at the vet now with a UTI and high BG in the 400s or higher. I know the infection could cause this but every few months we have a crisis involving her BG. Should I try another insulin or vary the dose according to her BG? She has seen three vets - all have different views on this. Thanks!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Lantus is a good insulin and really needs dosing twice daily like you are now doing. Without BG values I really say what to do. However, I suspect a dose increase is likely required.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb cannedhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. wildcatwoods

wildcatwoods New Member

I feed low carb wet food and test with a human meter at home. I would like to try tightly managed insulin protocol (changing the dose after the BG reading like people do) but none of my vets seem to think it works. This dosing a set dose twice a day doesn't seem to be working.

4. Larry and Kitties

If you create a spreadsheet and fill it in then we can look at the BGs trends and give suggestions. We need BG before shots and then periodically at various times between shots.

5. wildcatwoods

wildcatwoods New Member

Thanks - will do when she comes home. I printed out the spreadsheet and will use it.

Cheri

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The spreadsheet is online in Google Drive.
    You enter the data there and share a view-only link in your signature so others can see it and provide feedback.

Andy & Pimp likes this.
  7. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Lantus is best utilized at a steady dose. It is a long acting insulin that works over a period of days. Come join us in the Lantus & Levemir group to learn all about it. Read the stickies at the top of the page first and then post your "condo"!

PS Get that spreadsheet up and running first or we really can't be of much help.;)
    here are instructions for the spreadsheet.
    If you have previous data (you said you test often) go ahead and fill it in.
    If you need help post back here.
    Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be.

8. wildcatwoods

wildcatwoods New Member

We lost Georgie today - too many complication for her to get past. Thanks for your help.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Georgie.
    {{hugs}}

10. Larry and Kitties

Sending purrs and prayers

11. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

So sorry for the loss of your sweet Georgie:bighug:

12. wildcatwoods

wildcatwoods New Member