New to group

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharon2665, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharon2665

Sharon2665 New Member

Just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I share our home with 4 rescue cats who we love dearly. Our oldest has had an eye tumor rarely seen in cats and urinary blockages to the point of needing a PKU. Our next to oldest was diagnosed with DM late last fall and we are still trying to get him regulated. Finally had him down in the 100 range and now three wks later he is back up to 387! We have gone between 2 and 5 units. We switched them all to canned food a long time ago as on it we did not have problems with stones or urinary blockages. We have always given them some dry SO food at nighttime to hold them over but now that has been severely limited and will be stopped completely due to the carbs. Hoping that change of carbs might help in controlling it. Can't wait to read everyone else's adventures and suggestions. I have always found power in knowledge and talking with others who have gone through it can prove very helpful. Thanks for listening.
    Sharon

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    What insulin are you using?
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

If you fill out the spreadsheet then maybe we can help you get your cat (name?) better controlled. Pleae post that in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.