New to group

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary Martin, Jun 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Martin

Mary Martin New Member

My Kitty (9 yo) diagnosed with diabetes, UTI, severely dehydrated, and something else I can't remember. In vet hospital for 2 days and sent home with insulin and a pill I give him once a day. He does not seem much better and is hiding under bed. He got up to eat at 630 am then 1230pm and nothing since. I took food to him and he ate little but enough ( I guess) for me to give him insulin. I am so concerned he's dying on me. I have spent a small fortune ($1250) and feel I need to take him back. Hes barely drinking water. He urinated yesterday( in liter box) and this afternoon on rug! I'm distraught.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

I would mix food with water and try to get him to eat. You could try stinky wet cat foods, baby food made of plain meat, food sprinkled with tuna juice or freeze dried chicken or fish. I would just try anything to get food in him.

Try posting this in the feline health forum to get more responses. You could also ask the vet to give you subcutaneous fluids to give him. That can really make a sick cat feel better.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Mary. Are you checking for ketones? If not, please do. You can get test strips at any human pharmacy. The infection, not eating and no insulin can cause ketones and they can get bad fast and are very serious. If you can’t get him to eat, you may need to syringe feed so you can give him insulin. Please let us know how he’s doing.

4. Mary Martin

Mary Martin New Member

Thank you. Going to call vet when they open. They sent him home when the k's came down from 4 to 1. I wonder if they have.gone up. I'm trying to administer the insulin. I hope I'm getting it right. I'm near tears.

5. Mary Martin

Mary Martin New Member

Thank you. Going to repost it. The advice is good. Hes just not responding to food now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.