New to Group

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jack the Cat, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack the Cat

Jack the Cat Member

Hello. My name is Jane and I have Jack the Cat. Jack is 12 years old and recently diagnosed with diabetes. I have been struggling as most people do when your life gets turned upside down.

I haven't ventured into the home testing yet. That's actually how I found this site as I am was seeking information on that topic that doesn't come from a source trying to sell me something.

I haven't had luck with transitioning Jack to any of the diabetic wet cat food. He won't touch it and after smelling it and looking at the ingredients, I thing I agree with him.

I've been feeding him a high quality wet food for years and reached out to them to find out what the carbohydrate values in their wet food are and was informed of a value of 3-5% which is significantly less than the diabetic food. So in order to make sure Jack is eating I am sticking with the old stuff. I hope I am not making a mistake.

Things are further complicated with Jack's partner cat Rufus. Rufus has a super sensitive nose and have had issues with Jack coming home from the vet smelling different and Rufus doesn't recognize him, so then we have cat fights...I just cry.

We have gotten the flow down with the shots twice daily. He eats and then just waits for me to pick him up and put him on the counter...I pet him and show him the needle and he just sits waiting for it and really doesn't react at all. I hope it will be this way when I start to home test.

So thank you for letting me share my story and thank you for the information shared on this site. I don't feel so alone anymore.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

3. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcoming you and your little Jack!

To start, take a deep breath and be happy! From now on, you will never be alone! We are all together with the same issues and all looking for the same thing! Getting our sweet litle kitties back to a healthy life!

First, your are such a lucky person to be able to shoot that easily, it took me 6 months to be able to get where you are! You will definetely be able to home test as well, which is vital to keep Jack safe! Testing should always be done before each shot to make sure kitty is in a safe range to get his insulin! You will see with Sharon's link how easy it is!

For the food:

Diabetic cat food is not necessarily the best! Most of us are feeding regular LC wet food ONLY, no dry food; and we refer to Dr. Lisa Pierson's list which gives the percentage of most cat food! (I still have about 2 dozens of diabetic cat food that my vet sold me last December, still sitting in my cupboard...!!)

A few things that help when starting when you have a minute...:
    - we all have a signature to make it easy when someone looks at our posts; it gives a brief history for our kitty; here is a link on how to setup your signature and profile;
    - we also have a spreadsheet where we enter our Kitti's testing numbers; that way when we need help, experienced members can give us advices. How to set up spreadsheet
    - If you like to see how to use the Forum, here is another link FDMB

I know this is a lot of information to start with, just take your time, there is no rush, do it at your own pace! If there are any things that you can't do or are not familiar with, let us know, someone will help!

Subsequent posts should be on the Main health Forum and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need !

Welcome again, take your time, you will get there!

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.