New to having a diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dana & Juno, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana & Juno

Dana & Juno New Member

Hi All -
    Any advice would be greatly welcomed!!
    I have owned cats 35 years out of my 40 years of life. My baby (Juno) was diagnosed with diabetes in early June. I adopted Juno when I lived in Santa Cruz, CA. Since then, we moved to southern California, then Louisiana, now Georgia. He is approx 12 years old. He is my first cat that ever had diabetes!
    The diagnosis really hit me hard, but the vet was very nice (the first visit) - we set him up with 2 shots (2 cc's) of insulin per day and a new diet of Hills MD (he was previously on Hills CD because of crystals in his urine- this was diagnosed when we live in Louisiana). He seems more energetic, and he is now jumping into my bed without help. But he still throws up every once in a while. I shampoo the rugs at least once a week (which he hates!)
    After his first blood test, the vet upped his dosage to 3 cc’s twice a day. Again, I see progress, but his legs are not functioning like normal. He plays with his toys, and plays (fights) with his sister – Tahoe.
    I have been reading the posts on this site and my mind is overwhelmed!! I often travel for work. I am a banking consultant and half my clients are overnight travels. My neighbor usually takes care of my cats when I travel, but has recently told me that he cannot “give shots” – I am at my wits end. I spoke to the vet; they will come to my house to administer the shots – at a cost of $40 a day. That will break me! I have no problem with the vet visits, the food (since he was already eating Hills CD), and the insulin (which my vet called me this week and told me that the price over doubled - $120 per bottle.) I have been delaying my travels, but I know I must hit the road in August. I usually leave on Sundays, and don’t return sometimes until Friday night.
    Does anyone have any advice on help? I have been reading many blogs about “self monitoring” and I think that I will try to start self monitoring. But if anyone knows of services that is more affordable to take care of Juno when I travel, I would more than thankful! Unfortunately, I move around a lot, and with my current job, I have virtually no one here that I can trust to assist me. Unfortunately, my neighbor has let me down in a big way, but I cannot blame him for his fear of needles.
    Thank you in advance,
    Dana & Juno

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Hi Dana,

I am sure that others will come along soon with more advice, so first, I want to tell you welcome to FDMB.
    This is THE best site on the planet to get you help for your sugar baby.

A few things - I know that you are saying cc of insulin, but I am hoping that you mean UNITS of insulin.
    Can you please tell us what type of insulin that you are currently giving to your baby?

LEARNING TO HOME TEST SAVES LIVES!! here are a lot of links to help you learn how to home test: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287 And, if you can post your city/state, often there is someone who lives close enough to you to be able to come over and teach you how to home test.

FOOD: Canned, low carb foods are what is suggested for diabetic kitties. Canned foods are also VERY helpful at avoiding crystals and a whole lot cheaper than RX foods. Go here: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html and look at the links for the old and new canned food tables. Choose foods that are BELOW 10% in carbs - 5%, or below is even better.

The dose that your baby is now on could probably be reduced by at least 50% per day, (if not more), if he were placed on all low carb canned foods.
    If you DO change to low carb foods, you MUST lower the insulin dose at the same time as the risk of hypoglycemia is VERY high if the dose is not lowered.
    Read this, print it out - and know how to treat a hypo episode as hypos can, and do kill! viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1122

hth,

~M

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

As far as traveling with a sugarbaby. My husband plays for a classic rock band and occassionally I would travel with him. When our Muse was dxed with diabetes, I worked out an arrangement with a friend that is a CNA to trade babysitting for Furbabysitting. All she asked was that I show her where on a cat to shoot. Now of course not everyone has a CNA living next door, but maybe see if there is a nursing school near by where you could get someone to just come over to give Juno his shots and test his BG? Perhaps a student would a) like a little more practice on shots b) a little extra pocket change that isn't going to break your wallet. Just a thought.

Also how well does Juno travel and can you take a furry companion when you travel? That might be an option too. Muse loved to travel so many times if it was a long trip we took her with us and that was before she became sick.

Mel & Muse (GA)

4. Dana & Juno

Dana & Juno New Member

Mary & Stormy Sue –
    Wow – that was a lot of info – thanks for responding. This is so new to me – and I am totally non-medical (hence – the banking business).
    I am located in (or around – I guess) Canton, Georgia. Closer to the Holly Springs/ Bridge Mill area.
    The insulin I am giving Juno is Pro Zinc –“protamine zinc recombinant human insulin” (I retyping this from the label). – I say 3 cc’s b/c the needles are 10 cc syringes – I am to fill up the syringe to the #3 mark – again, I am a banker, not in any way medically savvy.
    I give Juno half a can of wet Hills MD mixed with some dry, and place extra dry out for him to munch on. Juno LOVES to eat!! The vet was very impressed with his appetite! I always need to feed him and Tahoe separately and make sure Juno does not eat Tahoe’s food. Tahoe is the exact opposite. She is a very finicky eater. But I do find her munching on Juno’s dry cat food (the dry Hills MD). I have not figured out what she likes best to eat.
    Now, after reading the link to “hypos”, Juno does meow after eating. The vet told me to give him the shot while he was eating. Tonight, I did it an hour after eating, he did not meow crazily.
    Again, I am so lost – and I feel VERY alone!! When I tell people about my situation, they say stupid things like “why don’t you take your cat with you on your trips?” OK – traveling by car is usually 4-6 hours, if I am not flying. Then, I get to a client, work all day, then check into a hotel maybe by 7-8 p.m. Take Juno with me??? Are they crazy?? I am just so frustrated. I am so happy I found this blog.
    Juno has been with me for the past 10 ½ years. Without family or friends moving to new places, he has been my rock. I want to everything I can to help him, but I feel helpless. The vet (I hate to say) has been offering me nothing but ways to pay them more money.
    OK, I am about to cry again. If anyone knows of a support/help group in the Canton (Cherokee County), Georgia area, please let me know.
    Thank you,
    Dana

5. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Hi Dana and welcome! Your post caught my eye as DH and I were just watching the movie Juno (don't ya love it) so I started to read it and voila, guess where we live -- Santa Cruz! It was the same for us, owned by cats for eons but never a diabetic until Yoshi. Can't tell you about traveling with a diabetic, we never did and got lucky with remission not too long after beginning insulin, but if you're not hometesting (human glucometer) please get yourself one. It makes a huge difference in that it gives you info to much better manage as well as saving $. You couldn't have come to a better place for help and information. Welcome former Cruzer :D

6. Dana & Juno

Dana & Juno New Member

Hi fellow Santa Cruz friend -
    Actually, Juno was found on the streets of Wattsonville, I adopted him from the Santa Cruz County Humane Soc. in February 2000. I call him my "strawberry" baby!
    We (Juno and I) would love to return to Santa Cruz!! But Tahoe (yes, named after Lake Tahoe) is from Louisiana. SHe may not like the west coast as much as Juno and I do!
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    The more I am hearing, I guess I better buy a self testing kit. CVS - here I come!! Again, I am clueless, I better do more research tonight. Should I tell my vet about self testing?? They NEVER even mentioned it!
    Dana & Juno

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

The cost in testing is not the meter but the strips. Most everyone has a Walmart nearby. Their house brand Relion has a couple models. The Ultima and the Confirm Micro. Meters are about $9, 50 strips about $20, and 100 strips around $39.

I usually recommend the Relions to newbies because your can easily obtain reasonably priced strips if you happen to run low. Until you get into the swing of things, you may not closely monitor Juno's diabetic supplies.

Also, we have a member in Marietta who has shown other how to test BG levels, and would likely love to come visit you. he is Linda Lee and Napoleon, and I will give her a call and ask her to visit this post.

8. Dana & Juno

Dana & Juno New Member

Thank you Venita.
    Today I visited a Rite Aide. I asked the pharmacist many questions. But I want to ask my vet before I buy the test kit (the kit is not costly, but the pharmacist indicated that the test strips were very costly). If I buy the kit, how often should I test Juno?? He does not mind the insulin shots, but will he mind the testing if I take blood from his ears??? Should I postpone the "vet" testing if I do "in home self testing"??? HELP!!!
    Thanks for the information about the contact in Marrietta - that will be REALLY helpful!

9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't buy a glucose meter at Rite Aid...I went there when Bandit was diagnosed and they were selling meters for $50-$100 more than you can get at Walmart or Target, and strips are far more expensive there. I would pick up the Relion Micro or Confirm at Walmart, because they both require tiny amounts of blood and only cost about $25-$30. The strips are affordable, too...I think about $25-$30 for 50.

10. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I've used more meters than I care to admit to over the years, but have found the Walmart Relion to be my new best friend. Strips are cheap enough and even though I did buy many test strips off eBay for the same low price, if I run out of strips I can easily get to Walmart.

Keep your vet visit, but tell your vet you plan to hometest.

It's the only safe way to treat the diabetes. Tucker's been FD for five years and just this month we've had three separate occasions where he almost hypo'd. His blood sugar went too low, into the 30s.

Two of my adopted FDs are not taking insulin because when I hometested them they were in healthy numbers and continue to be. They went off insulin due to a change in diet, and one was taken off steroids a while before so her FD may have been transient.

I used to give shots while the cats were eating, but I find it pretty easy to just play with Tucker's side, pet him a bit and then pull the skin out, make a tent and shoot. It's so fast he doesn't even notice. Hometesting becomes very routine, it gets to a point where you never think twice about it, it's just natural.

Actually it gets to a point that if you cut yourself you think of testing your own blood sugar :lol: My husband asks me to test him once in a while too.

I'd recommend you look into food, switching to a low carb canned food or raw food diet has helped some cats get off insulin. My own Mr. Darcy went off insulin due to diet change. Some cats like Tucker will always be on insulin, but food can be a major factor and if food alone can help your kitty, then you wouldn't have to worry about a cat sitter. But, if you do need a cat sitter, when you go to the vet, get to the know the staff. Vet techs and receptionists are animal lovers and some have side jobs, at my clinic there's a vet tech who is a pet sitter and she would hometest Tucker if I ever got to go away.

11. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

Hey Neighbor!

Hey Dana ~

Welcome to the FDMB. I'm in Marietta off Canton Rd, not very far from Holly Springs. I would love to help you & Juno with his FD. Please send me a private message & we'll try to get together. I'm in Savannah for my DH's work & will be back Wed/Thurs. I have a couple of meters but will look into a cheaper meter at Walmart that Venita has mentioned.

A little background... My Napoleon was dx'd 6/03 at age 12. He was on twice daily injections of PZI insulin, hometested, & fed canned food only. He's one of those kitties who had difficulty with regulation. He was a brave little soul & passed away in 12/04 from complications & unrelated illnesses. I've kept active on the FDMB as I've made many friends & share common interest in keeping our felines healthy. I currently have 2 girl kitties, 16 & 5 yrs, who are currently (knock on wood) healthy. I seem to learn more about FD every day I'm here. As I'm sure you've already seen, there's a ton of info available here. Plus, a bazillion friends who are available 24/7 to advice or lend a shoulder.

I hope to hear from you soon & maybe we can get together this weekend.

Hugs to Juno & Tahoe!
    Linda Lee

12. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Hi Dana,

I also live in Marietta, near Sandy Plains and 92. I think Holly Springs is just up the road, so PM my if you need anything! I'm around a lot...

There are a couple techs at our vet who pet sit. Let me know if I can connect you.

Definitely start home testing, then consider a diet change. A significant number of cats can go into remission OTJ off the juice, with a food change, especially if you caught it early.

We used Prozinc from December- until early June, so I can help you there,
    and there are others in the PZI insulin support group, which is a subgroup of this site. Heres the link: viewforum.php?f=24
    Folks post there each day for support with PZI insulins. Check it out. Maybe we can get that kitty OTJ!

And as for $120 /vial, I may be able to help there. Unless it's gone up, I was paying $90 at the vet, which was lower than many. Pretty sure that by law, your vet has to give you a written RX to fill where ever you want. Also Prozinc will last until its empty, 400 units, just keep it out of the light as much as possible and don't let it freeze. Its a vey durable insulin.

The Walmart in Woodstock has the Relion Confirm meter and strip which are very reliable and close to the most affordable. Sams also sells it and is a few dollars cheaper on the strips.

WELCOME!

13. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Not much help, but I live near Watsonville, LOL (I'm in Morgan Hill). Just wanted to say hello & ((((hugs)))). You have come to the right place, there are lots of wonderful people here who know a lot and can really help. You are definitely not alone, we have all been in your shoes, and can help you figure out what to do.

14. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Dana, welcome to the FDMB. This place IS full of knowledge, and very helpful people. And even met one of them (Mary). She came over one day to show me how to home test, and without her help, I wouldn't have my Blackie. Blackie went hypoglycemic the day after Mary left, and with her help, she and I were able to get Blackie back to where she needed to be (at the time). In case you ever need help (heaven forbid) for hypoglycemia, here's a link that'll help you:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2354

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887

I would highly recommend getting a blood glucose (BG) monitor (you can get one fairly inexpensively at Walmart), the strips, and lancets (there are different gauges of lancets ranging from about 25 to 33... 33 being the finest one.. You may need to see which ones would work for you both). Hometesting is the best, and most effective way, to find out how your baby is doing.

The low carb food also needs to be fed. No high carb food. (I think someone's already posted a link to Binky's low carb food website, and if not, here it is: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html ).

If you haven't already done so, create a spreadsheet, and start posting to it, as well as on here. There are several people on here (many perhaps) that can take a look at your SS and give you advice on what to do next, if possible.

Not to scare you, however, there's another good site that you may want to read, also:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=375

The more information that you have to arm yourself with, the better to be able to treat your baby with should (again, heaven forbid) anything happen.

HTH & good luck! :)
    :)

15. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Unfortunately many vets are ignorant or worse about home testing. If you test, they lose a very profitable income source. a day at my vet for 3-4 spot checks costs about $100. At home those same spot checks cost me my time, and about $1.60.

You do not need your vet's permission to test the blood glucose of YOUR cat. Thousands of us do it. A human diabetic does it multiple times a day. It can prevent hypo and death, and over or under dosing. There is nothing bad about it other than a sore ear ocassionally. The animal meters are very costly and the strips are very expensive (and mainly available from the vet). There is a small difference in the readings from the animal vs human meters ( Pretty sure human meters give a slightly lower reading than animal meters-) but they provide trends for comparison and decision making.

By the way 3u is a significant dose for a new diabetic kitty. Testing could help you determine a hypo situation some night at midnight when the vet is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.