New to home testing, please help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Aveira Paterson, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aveira Paterson

Aveira Paterson New Member

Hi! My sugar cat was diagnosed several weeks ago. We were told to feed twice a day, 2ui morning and night. Nothing about home testing.

I spoke to people in the feline diabetes group and based on their recommendations switched to fancy feast pate and ordered a home monitor which came in last night. After struggling to figure out how to work it, I got it.

This is where I'm confused. I was told there was a spread sheet here but I cant find it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Also, I tested him twice so far - at 6:51am he was 6.3. This was roughly 20 minutes after eating a whole can. At 8 am he got ahold of maybe 1/4 of a can my other cat didnt eat. I tested again at 8:44 am and its 17.3

Why did it jump so much and what do I do? Do I give insulin, and if so how much? We have Prozinc.

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Aveira Paterson likes this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB. Glad you found us but sorry you needed to.

First of all, most of us feed out cats at least 4 times per day and some 6 times usually split up as 2 meals at shot times and snacks in between. It keeps kitty more satisfied and keeps BG more balanced as well. The timing of those snacks can be used to some extent to control the insulin cycles as well.

Sound like Whitepaws was quite ravenous this AM and that likely is due to that lovely 6.3 reading this AM. Food will definitely cause an increase in BG but certainly not up to 17.3. I think what you might be seeing is a bounce from that lovely earlier reading. Bounces happen when BG drops to levels kitty is no longer familiar with, drops quickly or drops a lot. It's a natural phenomenon over which we have no control. Bounces can last for up to 6 cycles so don't be shocked if you see elevated numbers for a couple of days.

The starting dose of 2u is a bit high. Normally a kitty is started on 1u and given that you just started testing and got that 6.3 this AM, I'd suggest you go ahead and give a dose of 1u and stick to 1u for the next few 12 hour cycles while you hone your testing and gather some data. It's possible that Whitepaws could have had a BG even lower than 6.3 earlier in the cycle in which case it could be dangerous to continue with the 2u.

More to come.....

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I am so glad you have started testing! When is your shot time and when do you feed in relation to when you give the shot? You said, "at 6:51am he was 6.3. This was roughly 20 minutes after eating a whole can. At 8 am he got ahold of maybe 1/4 of a can my other cat didnt eat. I tested again at 8:44 am and its 17.3" So, I am a little confused about where shot time fits in. Normally, you should test, then feed, then give the shot (he needs to eat a least a little before you give the shot... a lot of people give the shot while the cat is eating).

5. Aveira Paterson

Thank you! Yes I didnt agree with the vet saying only twice a day - if a human was diabetic you wouldnt force them to only eat twice a day. However Im unsure how to go about feeding him more often, and how much. Do I test before each feed? What if hes high, do I still feed him? I can only give insulin 12 hours apart, what if he needs it between then?

I also must add I have anxiety and overthink literally everything, so this has been quite the struggle to try to remain focused and calm and positive.

I did however give him the 1ui. He has been laying on the stairs since this mornings read, and finally just wandered upstairs so I think it helped. He has a bit more energy now.

6. Aveira Paterson

Hi! My apologies, Im new to this whole testing thing. We were doing shots at 7-7:30. Prior to getting the monitor I would feed him, then give his shot about 15-20 mins after hed ate. But when I looked up his numbers he was in the 'ok' range, so I didnt give him his shot. I try to feed my 2 cats separate, but one of my kids opened my bedroom door and he got in there and ate the rest of her food. I tested again to see how much of an affect that had and if he was still low, and he wasnt.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you want to give insulin around 9am. given the timing of your message. Correct me if I am wrong.

Great job getting the SS set up and added to your signature. You can start it off with the reading of 6.3 this AM in the first line under the +10 column with a date of 19Nov19 as that reading was done in what would be considered last night's cycle if my timing assumption is correct. Then you would put the 17.3 into the AMPS column for 20Nov19 along with the 1u dose.

For future reference, we test before every shot to ensure that it is safe to give insulin. For the pre-shot test, we withhold food for a period of at least 2 hours to ensure that the pre-shot test is not food influenced. Then we recommend at least one mid cycle test per cycle. If you are not home during the day, grab tests whenever you can. At night, a minimum of a before test is needed as a lot of cats go lower at night than during the day.
    Any other testing can be done whether Whitepaws just ate or not.

You feed Whitepaws at as regular times as you can and you feed him whether his BG is high or not. He needs food and can't process the food he takes in properly right now so until he gets regulated, he will likely be hungry a lot of the time.

NEVER ever give insulin more than twice daily no matter what BG reading is. If you ever give the shot and don't think it went into Whitepaws (wet fur or a medicinal smell), don't give another shot because you have no idea how much insulin he might have got.

A little more homework.....
    Can you please add some information to your signature so we don't have to go back to look things up or drive you crazy asking the same questions over and over?
    Please add Whitepaws name, age, Date of diagnosis, any other health concerns, Type of insulin and type of glucometer. Your time zone can also be helpful in some situations although we generally deal with number of hours post shot when assisting with dosing. Leave the link to your SS at the end of the signature text.

I'd suggest today, if you can, that you retest Whitepaws sometime between +3 and +9 which is when most kitties will reach nadir (lowest point in the cycle) as this is critical information to ensure appropriate dosing.

8. Aveira Paterson

Ok, so for example, in the morning, I test him, feed him, and then if required give his shot? Is this where the waiting 2 hours is, test and then wait? If he has good numbers in the morning, and then I feed, and then test mid day and hes high, do I give the shot then? But then that messes up the whole 12 hour thing?

Fixed my signature! I think.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

The two hours comes in before your pre-shot. So say you're running on a 9AM/PM schedule. You pick up food at 7AM/PM each day. That way at pre-shot time there's no food elevating his BG making it appear higher than what he actually is. :)

If by good numbers you mean you test him for his shot and his BG is not high enough for insulin, you skip for the full 12 hours until next shot time. Doesn't matter what his BG looks like between shot times because yes, it would ruin your schedule.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  10. Aveira Paterson

Ok thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.