? New to insulin. Vomiting & mild diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by buddhasmom, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddhasmom

buddhasmom Member

Buddha did a 2 week trial of 1 unit of PZI 40, ONCE daily. He did great. Started him yesterday on 1 unit of PZI 40, TWICE daily. He received 1 unit at 11:30am & 1 unit at 11:30pm yesterday, & 1 unit at 11:30am today. He did fine all day yesterday & part of today. Fed him a late lunch at 5pm & he vomited a lot, some time between 6-8pm. When I went to feed him again at 8:30pm, he was hungry & seemed fine. He ate his dinner & is now resting, still seems fine. I don't have my at home testing supplies yet. I know the vet mentioned that vomiting can be a sign of high BG. Could it also be a sign of intolerance to the insulin? or HYPOglycemia? He has IBD & has periodic bouts of mild vomiting, but this amount seemed excessive. He also had a small pile of soft stool (mild diarrhea); also could just be his IBD, but not sure.

2. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

As M02F advises, vomiting can also be triggered by low blood glucose levels. The best way to determine whether the vomiting is related to blood glucose levels - either high or low - is to home test. If you're not yet home testing BG I suggest measuring how much Buddha is drinking and peeing. It's a crude assessment but better than nothing. If you're not yet home testing, I can't recommend highly enough that you learn how to test: it truly is the best way to keep Buddha safe and improve his regulation.

Mogs

4. buddhasmom

buddhasmom Member

I found out my dad has testing materials, so I'm going to get some from him & give it a try. I just wasn't sure if the vomiting could be from low levels too. Thanks for your info. I did read they can drop 6-7 hrs after a shot & that's about when it happened this time, so I'll test around that time, 2-3 hrs before his next meal.

5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

That is great that you are going to do home-testing. To get some good data on how Buddha is reacting to the insulin you should always be testing before each shot, to make sure the levels are safe to shoot and to give a "start" number. As well testing around +4 or +5 if possible, will help determine how low the insulin is taking him. The nadir (lowest glucose reading of the cycle) can vary with different insulins and with each cat. PZI will often have a nadir around +6 or +7, although that can vary somewhat from day to day...kitties always like to keep us on our toes ;). Home testing is such a valuable tool.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.