New to Kitty Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lbwise, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

Hello! My kitty LB was just diagnosed with diabetes. He has always been a kitty who likes his food! He is 9 years old. For years he has had a mixed diet of dry and wet food. Recently he seemed more sluggish and started to drink more and his urination seemed bigger when I did the litter box. Went to Vet and was actually more concerned about his kidney values which apparently are doing ok, but discovered he had glucose in Urine. So they ordered blood glucose from that original panel.

Initial blood lab test... 460
    Went to Vet on Saturday and it was 375
    Used human meters and was getting excited as it dropped to 234 but when I received the Aplha Trak and tested it was at 395

He has been on wet food/Low carb diet only as of 4 days ago. Thanks to all who have posted about this and different foods. I am going to monitor his Blood glucose over the week and then check in with vet. nervous about insulin but understand it may be necessary. He seems to have more energy and is not drinking as much water.

Thanks for info on this site!!
    Any input appreciated!

2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hello LB and parent (what is your name?)
    Welcome to FDMB!:bighug:

The human meter and the pet meter (Alpha Track) are reading differently because a human meter is a little different.
    The pet meter reads higher than the human one. I think @BJM can explain why and how that works.

What type of insulin that the vet suggested for LB? Because there are a few different types and they each work in a certain way.

3. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

4. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

The Vet has recommended Lantus.. But we are waiting to see what happens to numbers this week with low carb diet. He actually seems to be peeing less and more alert. Not sure how long we will watch numbers before putting him on insulin...

5. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

So from what I understand is you give LB now low carb food, without insulin? But you've got a home testing kit right?
    If so, you can watch his numbers by testing him yourself.

6. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

Exactly! Though not sure how long it would take to see numbers go down without insulin?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check my signature links for some useful info, including glucose reference numbers and secondary monitoring tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.