New to lantus 9/8 amps 227

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiger and the squid, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

Good morning, friends. Tiger made the switch to lantus a little earlier this week and is debuting his lowest amps in the whole 2 month history of diabetes. The first test I did was 253, and I was like whoa that can't be right so I did a quick double test (with a different poke, so a different drop of blood) and that one read 227.

Hes been getting 2u of lantus and was on vetsulin before. Preciously I might have considered skipping his shot, but today I wonder if I should decrease? Last night he was only getting a "hi" pmps reading, so his "normal" 600+ but at +5 when I tested before bed he was at 243.

I'm going to reread the info threads but any additional thoughts would be appreciated! Hope everyone is off to the start of a good weekend.

2. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

HI and welcome to you and Tiger! Those 200's are a great improvement over the reds and blacks! I haven't been here that long either, so I'm not going to give you any advice, but I'm sure someone more experienced will be along shortly to help you.

3. Tiger and the squid

Thank you! I love seeing that yellow instead of the black and red, for sure!

I opted to dose 1.5u and I'll be doing a curve today (and probably tomorrow, just for funsies)

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome. When starting you hold the dose for 1 week, except of course if you test and get the magic number that means decrease.

It might help you to print out the method you will be following and tape it to cabinet door or fridge so you can refer to it.

Lantus is dosed on the lowest number of a 12 hr cycle.

A curve is always nice but right now since you haven't given it for 1 week and you reduced the dose, I don't know how accurate it will be. So you might want to save the strips and the pokies until your ready. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

5. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

I am too much a newbie, I am not qualified to give you dosing advice.
    Looking at you4 SS, I believe you could use some advice and guidance-
    Stand by, someone will chime in :)

6. Tiger and the squid

His pmps was a little higher. 519. Okay a lot higher. I guess I may have jumped the gun. I was just nervous. I'm committing to 2u now and keeping my fingers crossed that his lower dose this morning doesnt negatively affect him too much.

New insulin, new numbers to get used to. We'll get through this.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When did you switch to Lantus? It'd be really helpful if you'd make a "break" on your spreadsheet so it's very clear that you switched insulins.

Look at China's spreadsheet (between 1/9-1/10) for an idea of what you can do for a "break"....instead of OTJ, you'd put L A N T U S

If you went from 4U of Vetsulin to 2U of Lantus, you probably dropped too much, but let's go from here and see how it goes.

Lantus craves consistency so you want to give the same dose both AM and PM....As long as he's above 150, go ahead and give the scheduled dose.

IF you get a Pre-shot under 150, you'll want to Stall, don't feed and post for help the first time or two until you're more comfortable shooting lower numbers. Wait 20-30 minutes and test again so you'll know if the BG is coming up without the influence of food. If it does go up, you're almost always safe to go ahead and shoot, but we like to have someone who has experience sit with you the first few times to help guide you and keep him safe (and you sane!...LOL) During that 20-30 minutes you're stalling, you can post for help. Make sure your subject line says something like "STALLING, NEED HELP!" so you get someone's attention asap.

We have a "rule" here....if it's the first time you're shooting a lower Pre-shot and someone agrees to help you, they'll stay with you as long as necessary to make sure you're both OK (or find someone else that can watch out for you)

It will be important for you to get mid-cycle tests as often as you can on the AM cycle and always get at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle (if you can't get mid-cycles on the AM cycle due to work, it's even more important to get tests on the PM cycle) Most cats go lower at night, so it really is for his safety.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  8. Tiger and the squid

We switched Thursday morning. I love your break. I'll definitely adjust my sheet when I get on the computer next.

Tiger's actually been at 2u of vetsulin for a few weeks - he started responding MUCH better to his insulin mid-day, but since he was still high for his pre shots the vet decided we should switch.

I'll keep 150 in mind as his new "be careful" number. With vetsulin I was wary of 200s on my human meter so o guess that's why I panicked (even though I'm really very happy to see these lower numbers!). I feel like apologising for doing something wrong, which I know is silly.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You're right!....it's totally silly!! ;)

We all totally understand....All of us came here knowing nothing except our kitties were sick and we wanted them better...NOW!!

Having to re-learn about a totally different insulin makes it even harder for you but that's what we're here for so don't ever feel bad about asking questions.

I'm glad you switched to Lantus though....it should be a much better insulin for him (and already looks better!!)

Krystina & Nelli likes this.