New to Lantus. Hold? Stall?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Harley Baby & Michele, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hello! Started Lantus 7/11. The prior low numbers in green and blue I attribute to his fussy eating for several days. He is now back to eating his Friskies Classic Pate very well. He is free fed. A new dish of food is put down as he finishes one up. He is looking and acting terrific. Ketones are Negative.

I was unable to do curve today as work called me in. I will be checking often on Saturday and Sunday. I am really enjoying the colors Pink and Yellow!

My question is: I thought his number would be higher tonight but it is 200. Do I shoot? Stall? Hold. He is due for a shot now (8pm)

(I was going to ask if I should increase tomorrow then waited to post until I checked evening glucose).

2. Harley Baby & Michele

BTW: I just put down fresh food and he is chowing down.

3. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Yes. Shoot. I can stay up with you got 2 hours.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  4. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

200 is a fine number to shoot. I didn't bring the sticky with me but it is a much lower number to stall at.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Once you're home testing and have a few days data, we set the "no shot" at below 150 so I'd shoot the 2U now

I'd also plan on getting at least 1 more test in tonight before bed. It's really important to be getting tests on the PM cycle too. Most cats go lower at night so it's important to make sure they're safe. Also, without getting tests on the PM cycle, you're missing half the data! That's like trying to figure out what pictures are on a puzzle with only half the pieces filled in!

6. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

You have food on board and his SS is solid yellows and pinks. Get a +2 or +3 if you can, I'm guessing you will be increasing dose to get back to those few greens a few days ago.

7. Chris & China (GA)

There's also really no such thing as a "no shot" limit.....Yes, when you're new, we'll say if you get a PS under 150, you should stall, don't feed and post for help. Test again in 20-30 minutes to see if the number goes up without the influence of food.

That's a pretty good indication that the last shot is wearing off and it's going to be safe to shoot, but the first few times you shoot a lower number, we like to have someone here that can agree to stay online with you as long as necessary to make sure Harley stays safe.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  8. Harley Baby & Michele

Ok. 2 units given. I did read somewhere the hold dose but I am just not seeing it on the TR Protocol.

Thank you Carol! You can go to bed, I'm good. Thank you MT and CC! I was staring at the page waiting for reply. FYI: We need to refresh the page. :banghead:

Jill & Jade and MyTitan (GA) like this.
  9. Harley Baby & Michele

Thank you, Thank you but really no need to stay up for me, as much as I appreciate it. I will test in about an hour or so then I have set my alarm for 2x during the night.

My original question was going to be: should I increase 0.25 units tomorrow due to his history of DKA??

10. Chris & China (GA)

I'd really like to see some PM cycle numbers before you increase again. You don't have to stay up all night or anything.....just grab a quick test before bed (or what a lot of us do is drink a big glass of water so we "have" to get up in the middle of the night....and as long as we're up....well.....might as well grab a test!!...LOL)

I've gotten so good at nighttime tests that I don't even fully wake up. There have been lots of times that the only way I've known I got a late night test is because there's a number on the meter I don't remember getting!!

You're doing a great job of getting ketone tests in so as long as they continue to be negative, I'd wait another couple cycles to see what's going on at night.

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  11. Harley Baby & Michele

Will do. Yeah, I have no problem waking up during the night!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.