New to posting...MANY questions, VERY FRUSTRATED!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie Schropp, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie Schropp

Julie Schropp New Member

Hello,
    My name is Julie and our kitty's name is Corona. (but has MANY nicknames) I am seeking information/help as trying to get him regulated has been a very frustrating rollercoaster ride. Three different insulins, remission (at one point) then back, additional health problems complicating his diabetes treatment. It's just been exhausting and concerned if we are doing the right thing and not wanting him to "suffer". When I had heard other people talk about giving their pets insulin I always used to say, "that would be the day". But when faced with the diagnosis it's a difficult decision so I have promoted treatment as opposed to putting him down but I would like to be able to do what's best for him. So here I am looking for help/support/knowledge/suggestions. I checked your forum when he was first diagnosed but did not post so any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Julie and Corona! You’ve been through the mill for sure! How long ago was his FD diagnosis? I suggest you post a list of specific questions and concerns on the main health forum where more people will see them. Tell us what insulin you’re using now, what dose, whether you test BG at home, what he eats, etc.

3. Anne-Callie

Anne-Callie New Member

It’s a scary thing and I never thought I would have to be giving my cat insulin.Callie was diagnosed in August.She is not a lap cat by any means and getting her to cooperate in the beginning was hard.She is adjusting and seems to know when it’s shot time. I feed her Friskies pate and fancy feast Classic she gets 2 units of protamine zinc twice a day.Absolutely no dry food as per advise from my vet.The vet tech checks her levels and she is doing well. Good luck with your kitty.

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I see that you have already posted over in the Health forum, but for here I just wanted to say welcome to you both! I love Corona's little "hat". We used to have two white kitties with little black hats -- he is so cute!

I am sorry you are having a tough time, but please know that this is very doable. My husband and I have been doing this so called "sugar dance" as it is called for seven years now. Five years (albeit in and out of remission several times) with our first diabetic cat, and then two years with our current diabetic cat, who was diabetic for 3 years before we adopted him. My point is that I want you to see that they can live long, healthy and fulfilling lives while diabetic.

Looking forward to learning more about you and dapper Corona. Welcome to the our little friendly haven here on the web!

Best,
    Sandi.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.