New to Prozinc-- how long do vials last?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Val and Sebastian, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Val and Sebastian

Val and Sebastian Member

Sebastian is getting his first dose of Prozinc tonight after being on Vetsulin for a year.

Our Vetsulin seemed to last only about a month before his numbers started creeping up. Does Prozinc last longer? It was quite a bit more expensive, so I hope it's not going to be a monthly expense. :-|

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

2 years from the date of manufacture. BIV has told me that if I treat my bottle well it should last that long even if opened.

PZI tends to be a pretty stable insulin. If you want to maximize it's life, I'd focus on keeping it out of light [that includes florescent light] , and making sure it finds it's way back into your fridge and that where you store it in your fridge is as close to 40F as you can get it. I set a wireless thermometer where the insulin is stored [butter area - away from drafts] then adjusted the fridge temp so that area averaged 40F.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

We switched from Vetsulin too - they are totally different in that aspect, PZI basically lasts until the vial is empty. {ETA that is not true of some of the compounded PZIs, but true of ProZinc and PZI Vet]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.