New to PZI & hello!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Happy Sunday everyone! Pita is on day 2 of PZI at 1u, twice a day (per advice from members, rather than the vet 2u). His sheet is up to date but I wanted to just touch base a little and try to understand all these numbers. I'm trying to remember that he needs to get used to it for a while (a week?) to really see how the numbers work. I think everything is going well so far, as I had already seen a decrease in drinking/urinating from his diet change before the first dose was given. I think he's doing fine with the 1u so far, but also just want to make sure that seems to be OK. Thanks everyone!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Glad you came here! I still rent space here (;)) because these folks are my FD "family of origin".

Caitlin M likes this.
  3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The numbers look fine. Could you get more numbers today? Maybe a number 2-3 hours after the shot, one 5-7 hours and another 9-10. That would give you nice data going forward.

. As it is, he is in regulated numbers. I wouldn't consider an increase until you have more data and give him a few more cycles to adjust to the dose.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I'm envious of Pita's numbers lol. Maury has only had 1 good day and I have no idea how we did that :(. I'm sure the Vet is going to tell me to increase his dose again. But Pita seems to be doing really good :cat::bighug:

5. Kris & Teasel

To Yong and Maury:

You'll get to the point where your experience and advice from people here will be your guide to dosing. I think you might try 2.75 u next. Do your syringes have half unit marks? You'd have to eyeball between them for 2.75 u.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. Caitlin M

I unfortunately wasn't able to be home much before his PMPS today, but tomorrow and the rest of the week (vacation), I do plan to get more tests steadily throughout the day. Thank you so much!

Thank you, and keep us updated (although I may not understand much when you do) :)

Good to know, and I guess I'll just keep an eye on numbers staying around what I already have and continue to -pester- I mean UPDATE you all on #'s :) You think it should increase from 2u a day to 2.75u a day next? Should that maybe be after his first GC or before? I'm guessing it's a good idea to give him a full week on the 2u a day first? I do not have 1/2 unit marks but am confident I could just eyeball it.Right now I have 1/2 cc, 29 g, 12.7 mm needles. They seem to be just fine for us so far!

7. Kris & Teasel

OMG, Caitlin! My fault for giving advice to someone else while they were posting on your thread! No - the 2.75 u dose recommendation was meant for Yong and Maury. I edited it to make that clearer. For You: keep Pita at 1 u for a few more cycles.

8. Caitlin M

Hahaha that's quite alright-I had a feeling it was meant for Yong! Glad I double checked :)
    Also, how long is a cycle usually?

9. Kris & Teasel

Relieved! :facepalm:

10. Caitlin M

How long is a cycle Kris?

Also, to everyone, I think I'm making the testing experience traumatic for him (or maybe just myself). He loves the treats I give him though! I start with petting him and his ears, give a couple (2) treats. Use the rice sock ( I made it smaller and it's better for me) give him a couple treats. Then however, I give him a couple treats to try to distract him while I poke- he still knows exactly how I hold his ear when I try to do it, so he'll start to be a bit vocal and move his head so it's harder for me to poke. When I do poke I give him a couple treats. He's now also started to wriggle around when I try to use the meter to apply the blood so I give him another couple treats so I can try to steady him. UGH! So now I'm not sure if I'm giving too many treats (although it's still way way less than his past dry feeding) and also I'm realizing I do need to apply pressure to his body so he'll stop moving and I feel like it's making it worse? I know it's still all new to us and I'm praying, hoping that he'll get better. Am I just being the crazy mom or am I doing something wrong?

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The trick is to find a routine that works for the two of you. We used the kitty burrito at first. I wrapped him in a towel with his head out and set him on the edge of my couch so I could softly press him against the arm to keep him there. We gave him some treats and then poked, with his meal coming later.

Something else you can do - if he is wiggling after you get a drop of blood, put it on your fingernail and test from there.

You'll get this. It does get easier, promise.

Caitlin M likes this.
  12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, I used the burrito at first too. Gypsy actually seemed more comfortable being wrapped up like that...and over time, that made it so she was willing to stay still and get tested. She came running every time I picked up the lancets!

13. Kris & Teasel

I sit on the bath mat on my bathroom floor with my knees raised and lower legs crossed. Teasel is seated facing forward away from me between my knees. I use my crossed lower legs and knees to gently hold him and control his head and shoulders. I avoid grabbing him or making it feel confrontational.

FYI - a cycle is the 12 hour time interval between AM and PM doses.

Caitlin M likes this.
  14. Caitlin M

Thank you all! I don't have access to many rooms- just bedroom and living room- so I've been doing it on my bed. I may need to burrito him for a bit until he hopefully gets more use to it. :)

15. Caitlin M

I will definitely try this!

16. DeeDee63

DeeDee63 New Member

Hi. I am new here. I had a cat with diabetes several years ago and taking his readings was never an easy task! Wish I had known the burrito wrap back then! Sounds as though you are doing well. I joined the forum today as we are going to have my 9 year old cat tested for diabetes....here we go again! I just did some reading here https://www.vetary.com/cat/condition/diabetes-mellitus and am about to post a question to the vet. Because it all seems so long ago, I need a refresher course. Being a newbie yourself, do you have any tips? Tips on how to prepare, recommended food, keeping yourself calm? Thank you!

17. Caitlin M

Good morning everyone! As some of you may have seen, I just had a nice little freak out and posted onto the Main Forum. Pita had a 374 AMPS which is the highest I've seen since he started PZI (dear god Caitlin it's only day 3!). I looked around a little more and decided I would still shoot his current 1 unit and test again in +3 when I get home. ::shake it off:: I believe I did the right thing, as it is still early on in his receiving his insulin. On a side note-this morning's test was the easiest it's ever been! I burrito'd him, gave him a couple treats, did a really solid poke, blood came right up and I read it. I gave him SO much praise and was excited for myself. My, what a difference a couple minutes can make though once the number came up huh?

18. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Great about the testing getting easier! Sorry no one was around to help you with dosing, but you did the right thing shooting. Do try to get a few mid cycle tests so we can begin to see what Pitas pattern is. When you understand her patterns, dos get will get easier.

Caitlin M likes this.
  19. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Dee Dee. It will be easier for you to start your own thread with your questions, that way more of us will see your questions without getting them mixed up with Caitlin's. If you need help starting your own post, just ask.

20. Kris & Teasel

Freakouts are allowed, Caitlin! :) Sounds like you got a grip and gave him his 1 u. That was the right thing to do. You're still figuring out this dose. The only time a freakout is in order is if you get a BG 50 or lower on your ReliOn meter. That's hypo territory and demands immediate action - posting here, giving bits of food to bring him up, etc. No need to worry about that now, just read about hypos on here and prepare a hypo kit (use search bar at the upper right of this page). A high number is never a freakout occasion because it could be: 1. a wonky strip 2. a bounce number or 3. a "Look! A squirrel!" moment (as it's termed here to mean high for no reason we know of).

Caitlin M likes this.
  21. Caitlin M

My goodness, it was definitely a hysterical moment looking back! I had a feeling that it wasn't necessarily a 'high' number and since it's only day 3 that I should definitely still shoot. :) I do remember the 50 or lower for my meter, so I'm prepared for that/still getting the kit together. I love those 3 reasons you gave! However, is there ever a high number that I would not want to shoot with? I did a +4 when I arrived home and it's already lower, so I'm happy with that. This +4 testing was smoother too, so maybe (not to jinx myself) I've figured out a way to make it quick/easy!

Pati likes this.
  22. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Caitlin, and welcome! Good job on the testing! I noticed that the more I test my cat, the easier his ears bleed. The first few days were tough, but now he comes running when it's time to test, and the little bead of blood just pops right up. He still doesn't like the poke and tries to twist his head out of the way, but he loves the treats! Hopefully it will just keep getting easier for you and Pita!

Kris & Teasel and Caitlin M like this.
  23. Caitlin M

I've seen a lot about a bounce number but don't think I fully understand what it is.

24. Kris & Teasel

No, unless there's something going on like cat won't eat, etc. shoot the highs.

25. Kris & Teasel

If you input "bounce" in the search bar, you'll find lots of info. I'm getting ready to leave so don't have time to explain in detail.

Caitlin M likes this.
  26. Caitlin M

Thank you!

27. Kris & Teasel

28. Yong & Maury GA

Sorry Caitlin, I was just commenting, didn't meant for advice to come to me on your thread :banghead: Just glad to see Pita is doing well on the low dose :cat:

29. Caitlin M

Not a problem! Thank you :)

30. Caitlin M

Hello all,
    I'm about to do a +3 but was just rubbing his ears and can feel small bumps on his left ear. They're black, so I can't see anything, but I think this is from my testing! Is this normal? Have I been hurting him or doing something wrong? Just feel badly about it :oops:

31. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe scabs? Hopefully a more experienced member can peep in. I haven't noticed any on Maury. Can you see anything from the inside? Maury has black fur on his ears too, although probably not as dark as Pita's :cat:

Caitlin M likes this.
  32. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I think they're tiny scabs from the pokes. Teasel gets them occasionally and they're very visible because the edges of both ears are white. They come off eventually.

33. Caitlin M

Ugh, I feel horribly! Is it possible that it bothers him now when I poke that ear? Anything else I can do? Am I looking too hard? I switch every time I test. I stop the bleeding when in done and I also apply more pain relief ointment.

34. Kris & Teasel

Not to worry - it happens. Try putting firm pressure with thumb and forefinger on the area where you poked for 10 - 15 sec to stop the bleeding. Less chance of scab formation. You can also put a bit of polysporin (neosporin in theUS?) ointment on the ear after testing to help soothe/heal.

Caitlin M likes this.
  35. Yong & Maury GA

Yup Neosporin is the name brand in U.S. I also just use a tiny amount of triple antibiotic ointment, which is basically generic for Neo.

Caitlin M likes this.
  36. Caitlin M

Thank you both!

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I don't think it hurts them. Cats don't really have nerve endings at the edge of the ear so they really just feel pressure.

38. Caitlin M

Well he certainly is a convincing little actor when he starts being vocal!
    Should I attempt to leave them be and avoid repoking them?

39. Kris & Teasel

Testing is important and some days you'll have to test more than others. You can try varying the site you poke in the good area on the ear and also go from one ear to the other. I find that I get a better result poking Teasel's right ear compared to his left so I tend to use it more. Many people buy the neosporin with pain relief ointment and put a tiny bit on the ear before poking so it numbs the area a bit.

40. Caitlin M

OK, it seems like I'm doing all the 'right' things, so I'll keep going and try to be more gentle/put more pressure after I'm done. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.