New to site with recently dx diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy E, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy E

Amy E New Member

Hello, me and my 10+ yr old neutered male tabby cat Sabaay (suh-bye) are new to this site.
    He has been dx diabetic for just over 2 months now. He currently receives Rx Prozin 1.5u BID (8:00am and 8:00pm) and has now been on a grain free dry food kibble diet for about the same time. He eats roughly 15-60 minutes prior to his injection. He started out at 20lbs, and is now 15lbs since starting the insulin at 1u, then bumping up to 1.5u, along with his grain free diet. His energy and fur coat has changed immensely, while appearing to look younger. We've done one glucose curve at home seeing I was a vet tech for 9yrs, and feel more than comfortable.... yet it doesn't make it any easier when it's your own cat and they fight it terribly with stress and confusion. We've attempted another curve and it didn't get completed due him being in too high of stress. It's now been about two months since his last curve, where I've recently noticed major changes in him, again, yet different changes. He's exhibiting onset/ chronic neuropathy in his pelvic limbs (gradually within 2-5 days), lethargy, and drinking excessively. My doctor is aware of his high stress during his last glucose curves in the past and has suggested the fructosamine test, yet it was too costly at the time. Since his now onset neuropathy, I'm planning on doing his glucose curve in two days (Sunday) when I'm not working all day. I've been reading past posts recommending soft food over dry food, along with the fructosamine test being important. Also, posts mentioning breaking down a BG spreadsheet to determine future action/ changes. Any suggestions or more details would be greatly appreciated!
    Sabaay and myself thank you in advance!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    ProZinc is a good insulin.
    The neuropathy you are seeing is likely due to the blood sugar being too high. Dry food, even grain-free dry is high is carbs. Best is commercial canned foods of the pate variety like Friskies or Fancy Feast. Here is a list of such foods
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Most of us test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    The spreadsheet allows caretakers here is to make suggestions if needed.
    I would not increase dose and change to low-carb canned at the same time.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy.

Congrats on finding this site before making changes. I want to mention. Do NOT stop the dry food until you have the home testing down and you can get a few readings a day. Eliminating the dry can put Sabaay in a serious hypo episode. It must be done gradually WHILE you are testing. Take it from one who learned the hard way because I didn't know better or know about FDMB until a hypo had happened.

For the neuropathy this works very well. http://www.ilifelink.com/zobaline-for_diabetic_cats-3_mg_x_60_tablets.html

It does take some time to see improvement. It crushes easily to mix with their food. I started with 2 tabs a day and after 2.5 weeks was able to give once a day. Quite a few of us here use it.

The spreadsheet is a powerful tool for you to see when changes need to be made and will start to show patterns as you get enough data.

The only other thing I can say is take a deep breath and get started to helping Sabaay feel better.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    See my signature links for some helpful information and tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.