New to site

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vegjeta, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegjeta

Vegjeta Member

Hi my name is Vegjeta,my cats name is Little brother. He is going to be 19 years old next month.He was diagnosed diabetic in 2011.He was on insulin for 3 months,since then he has been controlled thru diet.He is going to the vet 2/20/15,for and abscess tooth:( is there anything I should be aware of as far as antibiotics and sugar? He has been eating normally.

2. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum . It's great that Little Brother has been diet controlled all this time.

Can I get you to repost your question over in the main health forum as more people check that section out and you will hopefully get more replies.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

From my understanding you have to be wary of the palatable antibiotics as these may contain sugar. I would ask the vet outright and ask him to check any medication he is going to give.

One of the antibiotics he may well use of a long lasting antibiotic injection called covenia. From my readings here this is best avoided if possible because it lasts in their system for quite a while and if they have an allergic reaction to it you can't easily undo its affects because it stays in the body for so long.

The other thing I would consider if the use of metacam. Vets will often give this medication after an operation as an anti inflammatory but again this has been linked to sudden kidney problems and I know a lot of members here refuse to have it given to their cats.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Sarah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.