New to the cat diabetes club - Pixel

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adam Sala, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Sala

Adam Sala New Member

Greetings!

My 8 year old cat Pixel was diagnosed about a six weeks ago. He had been drinking more water and filling the litter box faster than usual. I understand now these are pretty common symptoms, so I'm guessing this story has been told here a million times. I've learned a lot about pet diabetes since then but I still feel very newbish.

His diet is still dry cat food.

Wet food is also available but he won't eat it yet. I'll keep trying, but early on he had a nausea spell and wouldn't eat anything for several days. It was pretty scary with vet visits & assisted feeding etc, so I've been a bit paranoid about using hunger as a big motivator. I have moved him to scheduled feeding times though (twice/day, a couple hours around his injections). Before food was always available to him via a feeder. I'll take tips for convincing a finicky cat to eat wet food instead of dry. So far heating it, cheese, and tuna can juice has not tempted him very well.

His insulin is U-40 Prozinc. He started at 1 unit twice/day, but due to high BG readings the vet has gradually increased the dosage - now he's getting 4 units twice/day. This has me a bit concerned, as some of his current BG readings are still as bad as they were on first diagnosis (500 range).

A couple weeks ago I finally picked up a home tester (nothing fancy, a generic CVS/pharmacy glucose meter). Unfortunately I'm not getting as many readings as I'd like, maybe one good measurement every few days. The cat does not want to cooperate. I've been measuring high lately (300-500), though I have seen it get in the 90-160 range, and he's never had a hypoglycemic event as far as I know. The vet suggested I measure once every 2-3 days for now, ideally 8 hours after his morning injection. I'd love some tips on getting the cat to cooperate easier.

Thanks!
    -Adam
    (&Pixel)

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Adam, welcome to you and Pixel! I don't have many ideas for the food transition as my cat was happy to switch over, but one thing to try is a small amount of wet food with some crushed dry mixed in and on top. Gradually decrease the dry and increase the wet. What wet food are you feeding? If it's the prescription food, some cats don't like that, try Fancy Feast Classics. Also post on health for more ideas.
    For testing, try desensitizing Pixel. Pick a spot to be the testing spot. Go there as many times a day as you can, rub his ears, give him a treat and let him go. After doing this for awhile, add the poke and test. Make sure you are calm and have a 'we're going to do this' attitude too. If you need more tips, post on Health. Also it will help you, your vet and us to see how Pixel is doing if you set up a spreadsheet with the numbers you have. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    If you need help setting it up let us know.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In the US, Evo Cat and Kitten (at specialty pet supply stores) and Young Again 0 (online only) are 2 low carb dry foods which may help ease your transition. Gradually switch into those, about 20-25% per day, while home testing to monitor the glucose levels as they change. Then work more towards the canned food which is better for them. I feed the Friskies pates, myself, and a couple overweight civvies lost weight without even trying.

Check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some supplemental assessments to help you evaluate your cat.

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You can find videos on You Tube showing how to test. As time goes by, it gets easier. At first, I had to wrap my Callie up in a towel like a burrito.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.