New to the forum - My kitty Kami and me!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Megan Kochvar, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megan Kochvar

Megan Kochvar New Member

Hi!
    I am new to the forum. My 8-year-old tortie, Kami, was diagnosed the diabetes ketoacidosis in September after she nearly died! We have managed her diabetes since then, but it has turned our whole lives upside down. Kami is currently on 3 units of Prozinc twice a day. She also gets 2 cans of Glycobalance wet food twice a day. I have had issues with her throwing up about an hour or 2 before she eats, which I suspect is because she is hungry. I have been giving her some FF classic to hold her over when I am able to stop home between feedings. I received my first home testing kit (Alphatrack) yesterday and have tested her 5 times so far and she isn't a fan, but I have been able to get a reading EVERY SINGLE TIME! I was looking for the spreadsheet that I have seen here so if anyone has a link that would be great!
    Kami's numbers have been consistently high since she was diagnosed - upper 300s to upper 400s. When I took her to the vet 3 weeks ago to get her BG tested it was 192, which was extremely low for Kami, especially since she freaks out at the vet and that is supposed to elevate her numbers! I had to bring her back that evening before I fed her so they could test her then because the vet wasn't sure if we should look at lowering her dose but it was back up to 492 so we kept it at 3 units. I did tell the vet that I have noticed Kami's head has been trembling every now and then, which is a symptom of hypoglycemia from what I have read. This was before I had my kit so I had no way to test her. I am grateful I have a kit now because when that happened before I just had her eat another can of wet food and that seemed to help.
    Anyways, I love all of the information I have found so far on here! I also have another 8-year-old tuxedo cat (Bode) and he has had to adjust to the new feeding schedule too because he is more of a grazer. I look forward to coming here with questions going forward because everyone here seems so knowledgeable. I am hoping one day that Kami will go into remission, but we will see!
    Megan

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

3. Megan Kochvar

Megan Kochvar New Member

Thank you! I think I figured everything out and I have posted something in the Prozinc forum as well.
    :)

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.