New to the forum, Rosie's mom 15 y.o. Sugarbaby

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stayc, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stayc

Stayc New Member

hi I am new to this forum and happy to be here.
    I've been a mom to a baby girl diabetic since she was 2, Rosie.
    I'm Finding out all new sorts of things I have never been told about. And finally after SOOO long my baby girl is balancing out.
    But I have a question....I'm transitioning her and my 2 - 2 y.o. siblings off of hard food (as I hang my head in shame... I never knew how bad hard food was for Rosie girl) how do I do this? Cold turkey, them not the food! . Or a little at a time? They are used to food always available...
    Thanks!

2. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi and welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place - my girl was just diagnosed last week and this place has kept me sane.

Being so new, I'll let the more experienced folks comment on transitioning Rosie and her siblings to a better diet but don't hang your head - you're here and you're open to learning. That is the best Rosie and her siblings could hope for. My Genghis was on dry food her whole life - I'm sure the biggest reason for her diabetes, although I will say I had two Siamese live to 19 and 20 exclusively on dry food, too. As we like to say around here, Every Cat is Different (ECID).

Welcome!

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Please hold off on transitioning until you are home blood testing the glucose levels; removing the dry food may reduce the insulin dose as much as 2 units and you could wind up with your cat in dangerous hypoglycemia.

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

What BJM said but when you are ready to change you won't want to do it cold turkey as it can lead to tummy trouble. You'll want to transition them over about a week. LOL on your cold turkey comment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.