New to the Group

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alieaplkng, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alieaplkng

alieaplkng New Member

So... Tigger and I found out that he has diabetes yesterday. First and foremost (despite feeling very overwhelmed and like a horrible kitty mom for not knowing sooner...), I am feeling happy to have an answer and now we can move forward with a plan.

Vet prescribed insulin 1x a day to start, ordered me ketone pee stick things, and suggested the Purina DM food. From the little that I read last night, I am considering getting both of my cats on just Fancy Feast Classic wet food but I know that I have to be careful switching him to a low carb diet. Suggestions on weaning him off the dry food safely would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Alison

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Very, very, very few cats can get by with shooting only once a day
    What type of insulin and dose.
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Using pee sticks is a good start, especially those that measure both ketones (bad) and glucose. Y always want to show a little glucose in the urine since if none is showing y do not know how low the BG is. Also a urine measure on takes an average over the time the urine was generated. Rthere is glucose in the urine when BG is above 180to 280.

3. KudosMom

KudosMom New Member

My cat Kudo and I just found out yesterday as well that he has diabetes. I'm currently waiting for the vet to call me back to find out what's next. I'm trying not to be, but I'm feeling very depressed and overwhelmed. A) I feel horrible that he's been sick and I didn't intervene sooner B) I feel very very alone with this right now. Kudo is my cat but currently resides at my parent's house. This is because when I moved out my parents did not allow me to take him with me, they had grown attached and did not want him to leave. I go to my parents house almost every day as it is. At the moment I feel that I am truly the only person worried or stressed about this. I know a lot of the burden is going to fall on me but I'm ok with that because I will do whatever it takes to get Kudo healthy again. I do not know where to start, who to turn to, or how to not be really upset by all this.

4. alieaplkng

alieaplkng New Member

Hi Larry & Kitties!

We were given the ProZinc ... I think the vet wanted to start at one time a day while we adjust his food from dry to wet food.
    I bought a couple cans of DM wet food and a small bag of DM dry food to start weaning Tigger off of the dry food to wet food completely. I have every intention of feeding both of my cats fancy feast pate or friskies low carb options from now on. I don't have the pee sticks yet, he had to order some.

I'm most anxious about restructuring our routine/schedule etc. I have another cat and a dog as well.

Hi KudosMom -

I am sorry you also have gotten this news. I also feel very guilty/bad about not knowing sooner or intervening sooner. A lot has to do with financial situations. I aquired each of my animals while in a committed relationship and upon our splitting several years ago I took the sole responsibility of all three animals while also trying to get on my feet. There is not a day that I regret that decision as they are my babies, but their care was perhaps not always the best at times due to limited money (now being a single income home etc.).

My only advice for now is make sure you ask lots and lots of questions with your vet.

5. Larry and Kitties

What dose of insulin? The usually starting does is one unit.
    When you can I would bring up with your vet about going to twice daily dosing.

6. KudosMom

KudosMom New Member

I can absolutely understand the financial hardship aspect, I am right there with you! Thank you for your kind words <3 I will be doing LOTS of research tonight. I'm anxiously waiting the call back from the vet it's killing me.

I wish you the best of luck with your diabetic cat, with a mom like you it sounds like they are going to be just fine! :)

I look forward to possibly staying in touch via this message board. I appreciate all and any advise, recommendations, and communication with people who know exactly what I am going through at this time.

alieaplkng likes this.
  7. alieaplkng

alieaplkng New Member

1.5 unit to start he said.

Initially he wanted to put him on Humalin 2x a day, then I asked about the Prozinc and he changed it from 2x a day to 1x a day? I'm not really clear why?

Tigger has lost quite a bit of weight so we have to get him up to a healthy weight still as well...

Any of you had an issue with your diabetic cat peeing out of the box? I am having the hardest time getting him to use the box. (even clean/brand new litter etc.)

8. alieaplkng

alieaplkng New Member

Thank you KudosMom! it's definitely nice to know you aren't alone in this process! It's quite emotionally draining at first.

9. Larry and Kitties

It is not that unusual for an uncontrolled diabetic to "miss" the LB.
    One way to save money it to test Tigger's BG at home. Y do not have to go to the vet and vet stress can raise BG by 100 (USA) points or more.
    ProZinc is a better (longer lasting) than Humulin N but it still only last 12 hours.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  10. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

From what I understand Humalin lasts about 8 hours vs Prozincs 10-14 hours as to why he is saying only 1x a day I don't know. It is unusual. I know I was started on prozinc 2x a day at 1.5 units.

If you are in the US Evo Turkey and Chicken formula, Young Again Zero Carb and Wysong Epigen 90 are all dry foods lower in carbs than vet dry "prescription" food and might be a better alternative for the transition.

Fern was diagnosed in December I too question myself why I didn't bring him in sooner. I keep telling myself I cannot go back and change that I can only work at being the best caregiver I can from this point forward.

11. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

HI!
    Welcome.... your in the right place and it will get better.
    When I first knew my boy had diabetes I looked at the site and every time I asked a question I got "home test"
    Now... I cannot imagine not home testing-
    I now know how my cat responds to insulin and when I need to be more watchful as to avoid a hypo episode.
    I liked the way pro zinc agreed with him as far as no negative side effects it just did not last long enough for us. We switched to lantus.
    When he was initially tested at the vet he was 100 over my home test ..... lots of experience here to help you on this forum:cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.