New to the group!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Archie's Mom, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archie's Mom

Archie's Mom New Member

Hi Everyone!

My name is Jamie....I am Archie's mom. He is a 15 year old orange tabby. He was diagnosed with feline diabetes a little over a year ago. We noticed he was constantly at the water bowl and the litter box was a solid block of urine after 1-2 days. We got him checked and his blood glucose levels were over 350 when we started out. I am a nurse, but I work in OB, I am not very familiar with diabetes in cats, normal levels, protocols, etc. Our vet started Archie on 3u of Vetsulin twice per day. We were checked in the office several times with blood and urine tests. No official curves were ever done on him. He has been really good with it all. Well....a few days ago my husband dropped the brand new bottle of insulin and I could not wait for the vet to approve the rx or the cost to ship it overnight (again this month) so I was looking for other options. I stumbled upon this group and the info has been wonderful! I decided I wanted to do my own curve at home and switch him to lantus with the hope of better control and maybe even remission. When we started this journey, we didn't know any better and were told to give the insulin so we did. I asked if I should be checking and was leary about not knowing but we were told not to worry about it. I know I should know better and should have just done it anyway from the start. A friend of mine had 5 brand new pens that she gave me for free! I had never done a curve before but got all of my supplies ready---walmart glucometer, strips, lancets, karo (just in case), I got new 100u syringes, researched how to draw out of the pen and found the Lantus dosing protocol. So I checked his blood sugar, anticipating to start him with 1.8u of Lantus (he is 16lb) twice a day. AND HIS BG IS 66!!!! I'm not sure where to go from here but I am going to be checking him every few hours and see what happens for the next few days. I am going to post this to the Lantus board also but I am just so grateful to end up here with you all. There is so much information and support here. I am sorry I just found you all!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jamie and Archie! It sounds like you are going to get things under control. You will get lots of support here.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Sounds like you may have a diet controlled cat! Keep testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.