New to the group

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Terri Caiazzo, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

hi. Thank you for the add! My name is Terri, and I have two kitties. My sugar kitty just went into remission so I’ll be asking questions on diet, glucose levels, etc.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Terri and welcome! Please tell us more about your sugar kitty and your experience with diabetes. It would be helpful to know the diagnosis date, what kind of treatment you did, what kind of food the kitty is on now, and how you have determined that kitty is in remission. Do you home test so that you can track the BG levels?

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! How great he's in remission

4. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Hi. Thank you for the welcome ! Xena was diagnosed on July 16th. She started on one unit of ProZinc twice a day. Vet gave us Hills m/d wet food to feed her twice a day. After three weeks, the vet upped it to two units when her fructosamine level hovered at 445. Over the next month, I noticed her behavior change for the better (more social, cleaning herself) then she lost interest in food. I learned how to test her at home, and after two BGC where her levels were in the 80’s fasting then Nader around 90, she was taken off insulin (two months to the day).

The vet told me to keep her on the m/d wet food twice a day. She’s ravenous though. She is overweight (17 pounds which is too much for her body) so I’ve been trying to cut it back. However she wakes me up at 3:30 am for food. I am over feeding her (1.5 cans per day), but it’s so hard to cut it. She bullies the other cat to get his food so I ave to lock him up so he can eat in peace. I feel that she should have more feedings than twice a day and perhaps a better food. It’s like she’s not getting what she needs. Today her fasting was 96, 1.5 hours after eating it was 135 mg/dL and 97 two hours after that. I ran out of strips which will arrive on Monday. Thank you for your help! I’ve attached a picture of her.

Attached Files:

5. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Thank you!

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Terri, Xena is adorable!!! I just want to give her a tummy rub, LOL. Please make a signature with Xena's pertinent info that will display with each post, and make her picture your avatar. Everybody should see that cute fur baby! Here is a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE

I suggest you take a look at the food chart in the info sticky at the top of the Feline Health (Main Forum) for some alternative food for Xena. The Hills "prescription" food is actually too high in carbs and is not a good choice for our sugar cats, or any cats for that matter. Many of us feed Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pates, choosing the varieties under 10% carbs. There are many other wet foods that are under 10% carbs and you can use that chart to look them up. There is a great site that is really informative about feeding our cats: www.catinfo.org. This site is by Dr. Lisa Pierson, who also has laboriously created that chart in the Main Forum. I have found that feeding Idjit several small meals throughout the day alleviated his "I'm starving" routine.

It would also be very helpful if you would create the spreadsheet so that the BG tests could be recorded and be seen by the members here. I would really like to see the progression from diagnosis to remission. Here is a link to the spreadsheet instructions and how to understand it: SPREADSHEET

Please be sure to post any additional questions, concerns, or issues in the Main Forum. This Introduction forum is basically just a welcome mat, and we want you to get more eyes on sweet Xena and keep her in a good strong remission.

7. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Thank you so much! I will go through all this and update my profile. Xena is the sweetest cat. She is very patient when I test her blood sugar and gives me love when it’s done.

Idjit's mom and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.