New to the message board

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kms726, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kms726

kms726 New Member

Hi, I'm Kelly. I have a 15 year old Siamese-tabby named Angel. I got her as a kitten for my 10th birthday, so we have been best friends for years. I took her in for an ingrown nail and the vet took a blood test and that's how I found out she was a diabetic--her blood glucose reading was 397! Angel has always been a chubby girl and I had no idea that the dry food I've been giving her that is supposed to have all the nutrients she needs has actually been detrimental to her health.

The vet wants to keep her for observation but I don't know how I'm supposed to pay for her hospital stay or her expensive insulin. She is such a sweetheart and has never acted like she's sick so this came as a surprise to me. I'm reading everything I can about feline diabetes so she can be treated, improve her quality of life and hopefully extend her life by getting her diabetes under control.

Here is a picture of Angel at the vet yesterday:

Attached Files:

2. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. You found the right place to cut your costs way down. No need for the vet to keep her if you are willing to learn how to test blood glucose at home. Lantus is what a lot of people on the forum use. If he can write you a prescription for the lantus pens you can buy one or a box of 5 for a lot cheaper here rxcanada4less.com/index.html
    i would also recommend reading and sharing this with your vet http://jfm.sagepub.com/content/17/3/235.full.pdf html
    meter and supplies and some wet food would be about 40.00 for everything and syringes you can also buy at local pharmacy or online. i get mine at walmart its 13.48 for 100. read the stickys about lantus http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

Sarah Smith likes this.
  3. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Kelly and Angel, We're glad you found us. When a vet looked at me and said my kitty had FD my head started spinning. Now a year later and thanks to many kind and helpful people here I've not only learned a great deal, but my kitty is so much happier and healthier. So take a deep breath and start thinking of your questions. When you are ready to start asking questions head on over to the Main Feline Health board where there are many people who are ready to help you wrap your head around all this. We've all been right where you are and now with some time, some education and a bit of patience your Angel can be helped to feel better.

Sarah Smith likes this.
  4. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Angel :bighug:

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly and Angel; she looks to be well-named! Welcome to you both.

Did the vet run a fructosamine test as part of the diagnostics?

Also how long has her sore paw been an issue?

Did Angel show any other clinical signs of diabetes prior to diagnosis (e.g: drinking and peeing a lot; much hungrier than she should be; tatty/dander-ridden coat; very inactive/lethargic)?

Mogs

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Hang in there! We have info and resources to help you.

Prescription food is not necessary - over the counter, low carb, canned food is available in many countries, including the USA. I feed Friskies pates, for example.

Ordering insulin from the site mentioned above can cut the Lantus cost to about 1/3 of US prices.

Home testing reduces the need for expensive vet visits to run curves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.