New to the process

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gweny poo, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gweny poo

Gweny poo New Member

Hello,
    I am very new to this situation and I need some advise. My Cat, Gwen (we call her gwenny poo), is a newly diagnosed diabetic. It all started when I took my two cats in for a yearly check up. I mentioned at the time that one of them or both has been peeing outside of the litter box, not a speckle, but a lot!. They did blood work and a urine sample. Her numbers where in the high 500's low 600's
    Turns out one of them had a uti and the other is a diabetic (gwen). They had started her on vetsulin and the other they gave a antibiotic. It worked for a few days because she was her old self. then the peeing outside the box started again. I knew who it was and they increased it a bunch of times and did curves. once she came home from the vets office she would be fine, until the next day. started all over again. We ended up getting a glucose monitor and record the numbers for the vets office. It was apparent that she might be insulin resistant. We did notice it was in the 500's and 400's.
    Then they decided to try a new insulin called bovine. Worked for a few days or a day and went right back to where she started from. Now they are saying that she might be resistant to this one. On top of all of this she ended up with a bad uti. they gave her two shots of antibiotics.
    I'm really worried that they aren't going to find something that works. Has anyone at all ran into this situation where it feels like nothing is working??? any advise would help.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome to FDMB. The purpose of this board is to provide information and support for all diabetic kitty care givers, so you have come to the right place.

I am so glad to read that you are testing Gwen's blood sugar at home, that's one very positive step in the right direction.

In order to have as much information as possible available so members can read and respond to your questions, would you please take a few minutes and create a signature. This will display with each of your posts so you won't be asked for the same information repeatedly.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

When you have completed the signature, I suggest you copy your post here in this Introduction forum, and create a new thread in the Main Health forum HERE, create a title and paste the message. This Intro forum is more like a welcome mat and not the ideal place for detailed responses to your questions. More members monitor the Main Health forum so that they can be of assistance and I want you to get the help and support you are looking for.

Please include when Gwen was started on Vetsulin, what the dosage was and how long you used it. Regarding the new "bovine" insulin, please provide the name and manufacturer from the box or label that you have so we have more information to go on. What is the dosage you are trying with Gwen now, and how long have you been using it so far? When we have your signature information, plus the additional insulin information, we can tag some of the more experienced members for further input.

We will do our best to help you learn to manage "Gwenny Poo's" diabetes, and get her feeling better. :cat:

3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, I’m sorry both kitties turned out to be sick but I hope they are feeling much, much better soon. There is a wealth of support and information here to help you get Gwen back to her regular self! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.