New to the site- Hoping to find stress relief/hope- dealing with neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leigh B, Dec 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

We discovered my boy, Murphy, was diabetic in May this year. We started him on Lantus for several months and his results were not getting better. He was hanging 300-400's. I went to a new vet, and learned that some cats respond better to Prozinc. He IMMEDIATELY responded when we changed him to the new insulin. However, during this time, he started showing signs of neuropathy. It is not getting better. He is able to come up steps and jump on the couch, but it seems to be worsening. I have purchased Zobaline. I gave him one pill a day for a week, and have been doing 2 pills a day for the last week. (Two weeks total on the Zobaline). I keep hoping it will get better.
    I know that having his BG under control is the most important factor. I am doing a curve at home today. He was at 485 before food and 1st shot today!! UGH. I feel like we take one step forward and 2 steps back.
    I've read several threads here, and decided to sign up. It breaks my heart to see him walk. I am doing all I possibly can, and feel like it is doing no good.
    I struggle with having patience. Do any of you know how long it may take for the Zobaline to work? I'm going to be focusing on his BG levels and continuing the Zobaline 2x a day.
    I have seen some posts on here that sound like there were worse cases than Murphy that had a happy outcome. Fingers crossed that my boy improves.
    Doing all I can :-(
    Thanks for the support!!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Not sure how long it takes for the Zobaline to work, but as you said, the main thing that will help the neuropathyis getting his glucose under control. If you’ll set up our spreadsheet it’ll help us see what’s going on and be better able to help you. Here are the instructions, let us know if you need help setting it up
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Also be sure to check out the prozinc forum and read the yellow stickies at the top. Then post there or on Health, and they can help you get Murphy regulated
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

3. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Thank you. I have stopped charting and tracking b/c he seemed to be leveled out in the 190-200 range. I'm a little confused about what may be causing his sudden high numbers. I have not changed anything...just maybe food? I've transitioned from the Purina wet DM to Friskies pate. I've done a TON of research and have seen all of the charts posted here. I'm feeding him the classic blends that are recommended on the charts. Otherwise, I'm doing 2 1/2 units of the Prozinc twice a day....just added the Zobaline for his neuropathy. I can always tell when his BG is not good b/c his mood is so obvious. It breaks my heart.
    I just went home to test his BG exactly 6 hours after his am dose. It read 346. Still way too high....again, was high 400's first thing this am.
    Thoughts on the food? I will go back to the DM if I have to, but I have 2 cats and at $55/case I just cant really afford it.
    I'll take a look at the spreadsheet and start updating again--now that his numbers are suffering.
    I appreciate your help.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Come post on the Prozinc forum. They are the best to help you figure this out. As for the food, maybe try Fancy Feast classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.