New to the site. . .

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Janet Hubbs, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janet Hubbs

Janet Hubbs New Member

Hi,

My name is Janet and my kitty is Thelma (her sister is, of course, Louise), 6-year old tabby. Thelma was diagnosed on Monday, May 23 and by Wednesday, May 25, was rushed to the hospital with what turned out to be Diabetes-based Ketoacidosis. She has been in intensive care ever since. I have not even started to get into the weeds of treatment for diabetes--am just in the prayer stage that she'll survive this double whammy. Any encouraging words or prayers to the kitty God will be deeply appreciated. Many thanks for this site!!!

JH

Attached Files:

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Janet . So sorry to hear that you and Thelma have gotten off to such a rocky start with the diabetes diagnosis. :bighug: :bighug:

DKA (ketoacidosis) happens when glucose numbers are high, there is not enough insulin in the body and sometimes there may also be an infection. The ER is the best place for her and the treatments will work at lowering her glucose levels and getting the electrolytes back in order. DKA is serious but is treatable.

I am sure you will have many more questions once Thelma is out of the hospital. You might want to do some reading, or speak with your vet about doing home testing. Also having ketodiastix strips...used for testing ketones in the urine will need to be used to make sure the DKA does not return.

In the meantime prayers and ((HUGS)) being sent your way.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to the message board, the best place you never wanted to be.

Fingers crossed she pulls through.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

More prayers and good wishes on their way for you and Thelma (and Louise too). All fingers and paws crossed for a full recovery!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and healing vibes for sweet Thelma:bighug:

6. Janet Hubbs

Janet Hubbs New Member

Awful news. Thelma passed away tonight. She had been doing well, eating on her own and getting ready to come home from the hospital on Monday and then--boom--they called me tonight to say she had passed. She was six years old and a wonderful, feisty little tabby. Thanks to everyone for good wishes. I really thought she would make it. Just heartbroken.

JH

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Thelma.
    {{hugs}}

8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Fly free sweet Thelma:rb_icon:

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers at this difficult time

10. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

((JANET))) I am so so sorry to hear that Thelma has crossed the bridge. Please hold your special happy memories close to give you peace and strength at this difficult time. :bighug: :bighug:

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear your beautiful Thelma has passed. You were her guardian angel and now she is yours. Rest in peace, Thelma.
    :bighug::bighug:Janet and scritches for Louise.

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oh, Janet ... :(

I am very sad to hear your heartbreaking news. My heart goes out to you in your loss.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

14. Janet Hubbs

Janet Hubbs New Member

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments: "The kindness of strangers," with the shared bond of kitty love. While this is of course the site no one really wants to be on, as BJM said above, I would far rather be on it than now have no need of it! At any rate: Best wishes to all of you and the kitties you are keeping alive with your devotion. It's been a very short but emotionally gratifying experience for me and you are all HEROES!!! Thank you, again.

15. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

((((Janet))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.