New to this - advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jessie's Girl, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessie's Girl

Jessie's Girl New Member

Hi everyone! My name is Abby and my cat Jessie was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday - I posted in the introduction forum here (http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-and-looking-for-validation.215985/#post-2395377) and was redirected for more advice on the main forum.

Mostly, I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to wait a few days, buy an at-home glucose monitor, and test her again before starting her on insulin (I'm thinking Lantus?). I don't have a good feel yet for what is urgent and what is just concerning; I know 500 is bad, but is it bad enough that I should be rushing her back to the vet tomorrow/the next day? I have already changed her diet to a high protein/low carb one so hopefully that will have some effect.

Thanks in advance!! I'm feeling pretty scared right now but I'm relieved to find an active and kind community here, since I already have about a million questions <3

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi again Abby, thanks for bringing your questions and concerns over to this forum so quickly.

I can suggest you visit the local Walmart and buy the ReliOn Prime glucose meter and strips. Very affordable and locally available. A box of 26 or 28 gauge lancets. A lancing device is a personal choice, some members use it, some just use the little lancets free hand. I use a cotton ball to back the ear and to protect my finger, and then to compress the poke site lightly for about 15 seconds to help prevent bruising. I also use Vaseline before poking, to help the blood drop bead up instead of soaking into the fur, then a tiny smear of pain relief ointment just to relieve any discomfort. We always give Idjit a treat as a reward for putting up with such foolishness, a bite or two of cooked unseasoned chicken breast, and many members use freeze dried low carb snacks.

JanetNJ told you of the video of her testing her kitty, CC, that's in her signature and it's a good one! Here is a link to the testing links and tips here on the board in the FAQs forum (lots of good stuff to read there including what to do in a hypo situation)
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

There are many how to inject and how to test videos on YouTube also.

We use a spreadsheet here to record insulin and testing data, this is linked to the signature so that members can review progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Testing Jessie is going to give you the data that is going to help you determine "what is urgent and what is concerning". There are many long time, experienced and knowledgeable members here that can help you interpret these tests and offer input on "next steps". The more data you can provide, the better the members can advise, it's going to take more than just one more test to see what Jessie's blood sugar is up to.

Testing is a process of patience and practice, for both you and Jessie. You can sing to her...believe it or not it calms the human tester so you don't pass on the anxiety vibes to kitty. Find a place where you are both comfortable with good lighting, and always offer that treat, successful or unsuccessful test. It becomes part of the daily routine.

Best wishes with it all, I know you are trying to do the best thing for sweet Jessie.

3. Jessie's Girl

Jessie's Girl New Member

@Idjit's mom thank you so much again for the warm welcome. I feel very reassured by your advice! I checked the hours for my vet and I will have to wait until Monday for an appointment to get the ball rolling on insulin anyway, so in the meantime I will go out tomorrow, get a glucose meter, and make my first attempt at home testing. Fingers crossed that she doesn't make a fuss and all goes smoothly!

Thanks again!

Idjit's mom likes this.
  4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I noticed in your signature that you are switching to Fancy Feast. I don't know what she was eating, but switching to a low carb diet can significantly lower the glucose levels.

If you can start testing before she is on insulin is a great idea. Then you will be able to see how well the diet change is lowering her glucose levels. If you start on insulin Monday, you need to start with a low dose, 1/2 to 1 unit twice a day. I do not recommend starting at anything higher. For new members we recommend using a "don't shoot" number. What this is, is the lowest preshot glucose reading you will use as your cutoff to skip the dose. Until you know how her body to respond to the dose, I suggest using 200 as your "don't shoot" reading. Any reading below this number you will skip the dose. As you learn how she responds to the dose, you can lower this number. Don't worry, we can help you when you are ready to lower it. The reason we recommend using a don't shoot number is to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia. If her glucose levels drop too low that could be dangerous. It is better to be to high for a short time than a moment too low.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  5. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

what they said! all the members here are helpful and caring and know what they're doing, it's already paying dividends for Catcat and me

cheers to switching to a low-carb canned food right off the bat, makes a world of difference

welcome!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think that's a fine idea!! As long as there are no ketones in the picture, it's the best time to do it!

Switching the diet can make a big difference in the numbers so doing that first (before starting insulin) is the safest way to go

7. SDWendy

SDWendy New Member

Good to know that 200 is the "no shot" meter. I'm curious, what is a "dangerously close to hypo" number? I'm 1 day in, so i have no clue where their "sweet spot" is for levels. Will be heading to Walmart today for test kit, lancets, & fancy feast pate - thanks for your insights @Idjit's mom !

8. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

A very big welcome. You have found a great community of very helpful folks and I count my blessings every day that I stumbled across this site when I was in the same position you find yourself in now. We have all been there, overwhelmed, concerned and downright scared. Everyone here is so supportive and you will feel at home in no time. It is a very steep learning curve but folks here will help you along the way and just remember there is no such thing as a dumb question. Ask as many questions as you have its really the best way to learn.

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi @SDWendy and welcome to FDMB. It would be very helpful for you to start your own thread so that responses to you don't get mixed up with responses to the originator of this thread, Jessie's Girl.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-use-the-fdmb-the-basics.132260/
    We want to answer your questions and provide appropriate links to reading material, and of course we want to know about your kitty. This is all very new to you, and you are already being proactive in getting testing supplies and low carb food. I want to talk to you about the diet change further, because if your kitty was/is a dry food or higher carb wet food eater, the transition to an all low carb diet needs to be made gradually if your cat is already on insulin. And you need to be testing correctly in order to be aware of blood sugar drops with the diet change. I refer you to the FAQs forum HERE for info on Hypos, as the "take action" number differs between human and pet meters.
    Looking forward to getting to know you and your kitty. :cat:

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Abby and SDWendy, Everyone here is so knowledgeable and caring and so very helpful. I don't know what I would do without them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.