New to this and feeling a little overwelmed..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Su Jones, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Su Jones

Su Jones New Member

My name is Susan and last friday I found out my Leo(7yrs) is diabetic. Now I am trying to learn all I can about checking his blood,using the vetpen, and his diet so that he and I can spend many more years together. My husband first saw Leo as a feral kitten while at work in August 2008.Then Leo went missing and my husband didn't see him until the beginning of October. He was a skeleton in fur when my husband caught him and brought him to me. I never new that a feral kitten could become such a lovebug but that's what Leo is, he's my LoveBug and I need to understand this new situation we find ourselves in and maybe prevent my other fur babies from having to go through this too.

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Susan Ah, I so understand where you are right now. I can relate. So glad that you found us. And so very glad that you will be testing Leo to keep him safe. Here is a good link on Home Testing:http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-home-test.htm

You will want to test before each shot and some additional test in between the 12 hour cycle. Another reason to home test is to keep your kitty safe. Find a place in your home where you will always perform the test and give lots of hugs before and after testing. There are many videos showing you how to test. Here is a picture of where you test on your kitty.

There are many meters. There is a pet meter called the Alpha Trak2 and human meters. Some use the pet meter because it is what the vets use so the numbers will match up. The meter and strips are expensive though. Most use human meters that can be purchased at any pharmacy. It typically reads a little lower than the pet meter but we have ways of compensating it. Many use Walmart's brand, Relion Micro or Relion Prime, because it only needs a tiny drop of blood. They cost around $15 and the strips are around 35 cents each. The Relion Prime's test strips are 1/2 the price of the Micro, which is a nice savings with all the testing you will do.

It is recommended to feed food that is under 10% carbs. Here is a list of cat food to choose from food chart you will note that the food with fish are lower in carbs however it is recommended that you only give fish once a week due to its mercury content. Many use Fancy Feast, 9 Lives, Friskies, etc. This list can also be found inwww.catinfo.org If you are already giving insulin and you have not transitioned to wet, low carb cat food, be sure to test while you are transitioning. This is because by changing to low carb food, it could decrease your kitty’s number by 100 points or more.

Incidentally, my cat Bubba was born to a feral cat and my friend safe trapped her and all her kittens and got them all adopted. She had name my Bubba, Leo because he looked like a little lion, Leo the Lion.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please just ask. This is a great group of people who are so willing to help and encourage.

3. Su Jones

Su Jones New Member

I am using the Alpha Trak2 for testing and Vetpen for injections. Leo has always been a kibble fiend but I started to transitions all my cats to wet food last year because I had concerns about this happening. I wished I had known how bad dry food is for cats years ago but at least I know better now and dry food is used as a treat now for everybody but Leo (no treats for him now). The vet has Leo on Royal Canin Glycobalance can for the time being until we get a handle on things. I just did his evening blood draw and it is back up to 525 after being down to 314 this morning so I am trying to figure out what that means. I know it is early days and I have alot to learn just hope to get Leo regulated and us into a groove as smoothly as I can without too many screw ups on my part.:)

4. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Susan and Leo, welcome to FDMB! It sounds like Leo is in great hands with you guys :)

nora likes this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Did you check to see what the carbohydrates are for the Royal Canin Glycobalance is. I didn't see that particular formula on the food chart that I linked to my first post to you. It would be worth a call to the manufacturer to see what the carb count is. Many of us here have experienced that just because the vet prescribed it, doesn't mean it is low enough is carbs. The vets seem to be married to certain companies where the carb count is way over 10%. I don't know if that is the case with this brand and formula but, it is worth you checking into. The carbs need to be 10% and under. Anything over that could contribute to keeping his numbers higher.

6. nora

nora Member

It is overwhelming, but being new to this also, I can tell you that it will soon become more comfortable as you learn more. The people here are very helpful and patient and there is lots of good information. In just a few weeks, I have become able to get the insulin into my wiggly Kali about 80% of the time and she looks so much better!! It's still a little scary not knowing what's going on inside her and I'm not home-testing yet, but that will come soon. I know you will be comforted by the support you find here. Nora and Kali.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

nora likes this.
  8. nora

nora Member

Thank you--I keep a pretty good eye on my kitties, as I'm sure we all do, so having these non-device tools as a back-up is very helpful!--Nora and Kali

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.