New to this and need help please !!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by amy keay, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amy keay

amy keay Member

hi

Im Amy and my cat is Sooty. I’m in the UK.
    Sooty was diagnosed with diabetes a week ago. He is a black, male, neuturerd cat (a little overweight !)
    I was given instructions on administering insulin, instructions to give him 2.5 units of cansulin in am (30 mins after food) 12 hours later another shot
    1st shot - 2.5 and he seemed a bit lethargic but after a couple of hours bounced back.
    Spoke to vet and reported these outcomes and was told to reduce units to 1.5.
    2nd shot last night 1.5 given.
    This morning, 1.5 units given and ever since he has been lethargic, sleepy, depressed and has stopped eating. He also threw up a teaspoon of bile. As a result of this I have not given him a shot tonight. He has had a little bit of tuna and is drinking lots. What do I do ? If he’s like this tomorrow I’m tempted to take him to emergency vets. I wasn’t advised to do any home testing.
    Any help gratefully received - I’m worried that my little man is suffering

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! This is very stressful at the beginning. Here are my comments:
    • most cats are started on a dose of 1 unit every 12 hours regardless of type of insulin used
    • they can feel icky when insulin is started because it will affect BG levels in a way their body isn't accustomed to
    • if the dose is too high they can drop too low and feel awful
    • if the dose is too low the BG will be too high and they'll feel awful
    • we're big advocates of testing BG at home because it's the only way to know what a dose of insulin is doing to kitty
    • sleepy, depressed and not eating can be signs that ketones are building in his bloodstream - can be dangerous
    • if this continues take him to the vet and ask specifically for a urine ketone test, along with other checks.
    You can buy urine ketone test strips at any human pharmacy and test Sooty's urine right away. Here are some ways to get a sample:
    • put the end of the test strip right in his urine stream as he's peeing
    • slip a shallow, long handled spoon under his backside to catch a little pee - you don't need much
    • put a double layer of plastic wrap over his favourite part of the litter box and poke some depressions in it too catch pee.
    Most test strips have to be dipped and allowed to develop for 15 seconds before viewing the colour change in very good light.

Here an excellent guide to using Caninsulin put together by @Elizabeth and Bertie (from the UK):
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-caninsulin-vetsulin.186099/

I hope this helps. Please come back and we can get you started on helping Sooty feel better. :)

Jill & Jade and Diana&Tom like this.
  3. amy keay

amy keay Member

Thank you so much for your advice - it’s put my mind to rest a little - I just don’t like to see him suffer and he’s certainly not himself. I’m sure we all feel the same on here and I’m so glad I found this forum !
    The ketone aspect has never been mentioned to me so I’ll get some strips and test his urine as soon as I can.
    As he’s drinking lots of water will that help to flush them out ?
    Also, if he has a proper meal tomorrow morning is it worth giving him his shot of insulin ?
    Thanks
    Amy

4. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Amy, welcome to FDMB, you are certainly in the right place for all the help you could ever need while treating FD.

The first thing I'd say is that the starting dose of insulin you were told to give was very likely too high. We usually suggest starting on 1u twice a day, and working slowly up from that if necessary. It's vital to test blood glucose before every insulin shot so that you know if it's high enough to actually warrant a dose - giving too much insulin can be very dangerous so you do need to be testing as a priority now.

As I've typed the above I've had a notification that you've had another reply so I won't add other points I was going to make about food etc as well as testing. The beginners guide that some of us put together last year will tell you pretty much all you need to know, but you will almost certainly have questions so do feel free to come back and ask - that's what we're here for. This board has many members all over the world so in different time zones, so there is always someone around to help. @Elizabeth and Bertie and I are in Surrey, UK and have been members for many years. A recently joined UK member, @Becki and sox , may also have some thoughts for you as you start off on this journey.

Have a read of the document linked above and let us know if there's anything you need clarification on. Best of luck!

Diana

Jill & Jade and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hi @amy keay welcome to you and sooty.
    Your in the right place for help... Every one here has been so good to me and helped me with all the questions I've had along the way.

As they have mentioned you may have found your starting dose was too high.
    Sox was started on 1.5u I had to lower the dose due to his bloods dropping to low.

If there's anything I can help with I'll try. I'm still pretty new to all of this but have learnt lots from here.

Kris & Teasel and Diana&Tom like this.
  6. amy keay

amy keay Member

Thanks all for your help.
    I have no way of getting a glucose testing kit before his dose is due tomorrow morning (around 7.15am).

He hasn’t eaten a lot tonight (I have left food out for him) and is drinking lots of water and I suspect needs a wee (his favourite spot seems to be my bathroom floor but that’s fine and the least of my worries).
    Do I give him a shot tomorrow if he has his breakfast ?
    I think I’ve got a steep learning curve ahead and trying to read lots without getting too confused !

7. Diana&Tom

It's ok Amy, we wouldn't expect you to run out and get a testing kit at 9.30pm! But it is something to look into as soon as possible. Meanwhile, I'd suggest trying to get Sooty to eat some breakfast tomorrow and lowering the dose to 1u, just so he at least has some insulin in him. If he doesn't eat and doesn't look well, ring the vet for advice.

Yes it is a steep learning curve but you'd be surprised how quickly you will pick it up if you care about your kitty and are willing to learn...that's why I tagged @Becki and sox , who is also quite new to this but very quickly learned the basics and is doing incredibly well.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  8. amy keay

amy keay Member

Thanks again.
    I’m prepared to learn as much as I can about this to help Sooty live well and happy. That’s the goal anyway !
    Will keep you updated on progress.
    I’ve also got a shopping list for tomorrow morning (thanks to the Guide for beginners which was very useful)

Diana&Tom likes this.
  9. Diana&Tom

I think you'll be just fine, Amy. Do read and re read the guide so it all sinks in and falls into place, then you'll be much more aware of the whole scenario and can discuss things knowledgeably with your vet. (Actually, vets don't always have the experience we'd like them to have when it comes to FD so sound yours out and make sure they are on the same page as us here... )
    See you back here soon!

10. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I know it all seems a minefield at first but give it a few weeks and you'll start to feel more comfortable with the decisions you make with dosing and what you need to do.

The spreadsheet makes it easier to make decisions on dosing because you can see the patterns of what doses for.

Any questions just ask away. I've had my fair share with asking lot of questions :D

11. amy keay

amy keay Member

Morning.
    I’m an early riser (especially with Sooty being out of sorts).
    He seems a tad brighter first thing and has had a tiny bit of food and gone outside for his business.
    If he comes in and eats his breakfast (a full meal) I’ll give him a 1u shot and see how we go.
    I’ve had a look at the Guide and very useful.
    One question (well lots actually).
    How often should I be feeding him ?
    He has a chequered history and as a result was homeless for a year and has learnt to scavenge food and eat what he can when he an (hence why overweight).
    Should I be free feeding or at least leaving food out for him or try to restrict the meals to breakfast and tea ?
    I’ve also read that foods high in protein (chicken, tuna) are ok to give as snacks (I’ll also get some Gourmet Gold in gravy in today to ensure I’ve got some high carb food in case).
    Also, had a look at the spreadsheet and home testing. It makes sense to be testing him before the shot. (Humans have to so why not with Sooty ?!) my vet has never suggested this and I’m a bit nervous as don’t really know what to do. The spreadsheet instructions are clear and i think I know the readings to be looking out for but don’t necessarily know what readings mean in relation to how much insulin to be given.
    Sorry if this message is a bit jumbled - having a brainstorm.
    Thanks again.

12. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Morning. I've just got up for Sox daily routine lol.
    I used to feed my cats morning and night. But changed to feeding a few smaller meals a day now (breakfast, lunch, dinner and before bed) as I read that it was much better on their pancreas I think than 2 large meals morning and night.

I cook a small chicken fillet each and use that as treats for mine or buy the 100% pre packed treats you can buy. I currently have done freeze dried chicken cube things from Wilko's.

My vet was also like yours didnt really seem to push home testing but I did and showed her the spreadsheet and she was really surprised at how much info I got.
    Your first few test can be a little worrying but once you've done s couple it becomes second nature.
    I watch several you tube videos that show what to do.

This was also me to but again the further through your journey you get you can see especially with the spread sheet and home testing what certain dose do and wether there enough or maybe not quiet enough and that what helped me see wether it needed a higher or lower dose. ( And all the wonderful help off here of course)
    If I wasn't sure if post a question and see what came back.

You'll get there with this just keep asking questions :D

Diana&Tom likes this.
  13. amy keay

amy keay Member

He’s had a shot of 1u. He almost seemed to know it was coming and sat really still for me (he’s now resting on my lounge floor where I can keep an eye on him)

I had a look at your spreadsheet and it is very impressive !
    You use a human glucose monitor ? Can I can these from any pharmacy ? I’m nipping to Tesco later and I’ll have a look there.
    I’ll also have a look on you tube and see what it says. I’d rather know more than less and to know that I’m giving him the right dosage.
    Hopefully no emergency trip to the vets today.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  14. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

If you do ever have any problems giving shot I give mine while Sox is eating and to occupied to notice what I'm doing.

Yeah I use a freestyle lite human an meter I had mine of my nan but you can get different names in pharmacy. Places like boots, Lloyds pharmacy and Argos sell them too.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  15. Diana&Tom

All sounding good, Amy, you've learnt loads in just a few hours!

Yes, a human meter is fine and what most people here use. Tesco pharmacy should sell them, or Boots for sure. They can be quite expensive so look for one that uses strips that are easily obtainable and not too pricey - a popular choice is the Code Free from Amazon, you could order that and meanwhile look at videos etc here to show you how to test. It's a knack you have to acquire, but not difficult. I've just woken up and a bit bleary eyed so can't remember offhand what the other meters are called - but if you do a search (top right hand corner) for UK meters, you should find other threads that will help. In fact, searching for anything you want to know is a good starting point, especially if the board is quiet and you're not getting many replies. When you start really getting to grips with it all and have a very specific question, it might be better to start a new thread with a different subject header. And when you start recording your bg readings and have a spreadsheet (there are people here who can set that up for you if you're not technically inclined) you can start posting on the Caninsulin forum for very specific dosing advice. There are different forums for different insulins as they work in different ways.

Becki and sox likes this.
  16. Diana&Tom

One other thing I meant to mention (got a cup of tea inside me now!) - it would be an idea to ring your vet and ask them (tactfully!) how they diagnosed Sooty as diabetic. Most vets do so on the symptoms you describe plus something called a fructosamine test - this is not a single "spot" bg reading, but a blood test that comes up with a number that indicates bg over a period of two or three weeks (this test is only useful at dx, not on an ongoing basis to determine dosage - that's where testing with your meter comes in). So I'm assuming your vet did this fructo test, and didn't just take a random test using a meter as part of your visit? The fructo result would be a number in the hundreds (much higher than a random test with a meter).

The reason for asking is that a single meter reading wouldn't normally be sufficient to dx diabetes, as blood glucose can rise due to other factors - infection, stress, other illnesses - so you do want to be absolutely sure you're treating true diabetes. You very probably are, as I suspect the fructo test would have been done, but when a vet prescribes a starting dose of 2.5 units (too high, as we've said) I would want to question on what basis that dose was suggested. Hopefully you've got a good vet, but many aren't particularly experienced or expert when it comes to FD so it's good to be clued-up ourselves. We've seen vets prescribe even higher doses than this, and owners find FDMB and are shocked to learn how dangerous overdosing can be. So just saying this really so you can be sure you start off working with your vet, ask them questions and discuss the various issues. A good vet will be delighted that you've done your research but others are more stubborn and anti doing something different that you've been advised to do by a bunch of people on the internet!

17. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Whatever
    meter you choose just look for one that takes a small 0.3 size sample. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

18. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi,
    The vet did a fructo test and I vaguely remember him saying on the phone to me the readings were of the 400 - 500 magnitude.
    I don’t know what his reasons were for saying a 2.5u dose - to be honest it was a bit overwhelming to begin with and I took it as red that this was the right thing to do ! Obviously I know now it wasn’t and another vet at the same practice told me to reduce to 1.5u (2 differing opinions in the same practice) the same day.
    I’m going to try to tactfully ask questions of the vet tomorrow morning (we have an appointment on Thursday). I want to read more so that I come across knowledgeable and ask educated questions. The more I know the better !
    I’m going to have a look at some videos tonight about how to do the blood test and readings. I’m not technically minded but my husband is quite good at spreadsheets so a task for him ! He’s also involved as much as possible to know warning signs etc but I’m doing the reading !
    Sooty seems a bit better today - in fact a different cat from yesterday. He had 1u this morning and will have his tea in about 20 mins and another 1u at 7.
    Thanks everyone for your help, I hope you and your kitty’s are doing well and have had a nice day.

19. Diana&Tom

All sounds good, you're on the right track!

20. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi all.
    Just a quick update.
    I’ve been giving Sooty 1u since Saturday and he’s had up and down days.
    Yesterday was a good day and he was a happy cat - in and out as usual about 20 times !
    He’s eating one main meal in the morning, then 1u, snacks of chicken and occasional 1/4 sachet at lunchtime and main meal in the evening plus 1u.
    Today for some reason he has been ravenous and thirsty again.

1. Question is - I panic at night time cos I want to rest but don’t know if it’s safe to go to bed - should I be offering him a chicken snack or 1/4 sachet before my bedtime (normally 9ish) or leave him during the night ?
    2. Also, why would he be drinking lots today ? We’ve had a good few days when all seemed to be going in the right direction.
    3. Also, got vets tomorrow - Questions to ask ?
    4. Not home testing - I spoke to vets and they said only few experienced clients ?! were testing and because he’s only recently diagnosed not suggested ? Doesn’t make much sense - surely I want to be testing because he’s only recently diagnosed !

21. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I found night times were the time I'd worry most.
    I'd give insulin at half 7 and then check again at half 9 and feed a meal before bed. Depending on what Sox numbers were at half 9 depended on wether I'd set an alarm for the +5 or +6 mark.

My vet said to me home testing wasn't a big deal. I though different though cause you surely wouldn't expect a human diabetic to inject themselves with out knowing there levels.
    It's so much safer to check pre shot and also checking though the day gives you an idea of if the insulin is working and if the dose is ok.

Did you manage to get yourself a meter?

Diana&Tom likes this.
  22. amy keay

amy keay Member

I’m checking on him every 10 mins (it seems) and all he wants to do is probably sleep ! Trouble is I can’t sleep, I’m a worrier and don’t want anything to happen overnight when I’m asleep (I could never forgive myself)
    I’ve got some chicken so tempt him with that during the night (when I’m awake so at least I know he’s had something !)
    Just having a look on Amazon for Monitor - accu chevk Aviva seems a popular choice ? Or the Bayer Contour XT ?
    I looked at You tube videos for how to do it - Seems I have to find the marginal vein in the outer ear and all I need is one droplet.
    I’m hoping the vets will do a spot check tomorrow and we’ll see what the levels are then and see what he says to do !

23. Diana&Tom

Hi Amy
    I'll address the issue of why today hasn't been such a good day, as Becki is answering your other queries... this could be because Sooty's bg is too high for comfort today. Without test data it's impossible to say if this is definitely the case, but it's the most likely explanation. If you look at other people's spreadsheets you'll see how bg goes up and down from day to day, even on the same insulin dose... this is one of the reasons why FD is so frustrating and why it really is a commitment for the caregiver.

I'm afraid your vet is plain wrong. There is no reason at all not to home test, and every reason to do so - first and foremost, keeping Sooty safe. Even on 1u you want to be absolutely sure that he is high enough for a shot. All of us here would 100% recommend that you get yourself kitted out with a meter and strips, and start testing. I know it's not something to look forward to as such, but it's the best way to keep Sooty safe and then begin the journey of getting him on a dose that suits him, or even remission.

As far as which meter to get is concerned - the Accuchek Aviva is a good choice I think. The main outlay to consider when buying a meter is the strips - they are sold in little tubs and you'll think that one tub will last for weeks but it doesn't, only days when you're testing regularly. So check out the price of strips first. You can often buy strips on ebay much more cheaply than from a pharmacy, but check the seller's feedback. BTW if you have pet insurance, it should cover these supplies.

Will be interesting to see what spot check number you get at the vet but remember, this is very unreliable as "vet stress" often elevates bg so the number you get there may not be what you'd get at home at the same point in the cycle. Plus, a single reading doesn't really mean much out of context, you need to look at it in conjunction with how many hours after insulin it is, or after food... bg will go up and down over a 12-hour cycle.

Anyway, you can ask the vet to do a spot check and watch how it's done - and then you'll be better equipped to try it at home. The main things to remember are to keep as calm as possible, warm the cat's ear, and give him a little treat afterwards so he associates the test with a positive outcome.

Hope all this makes sense. Let us know how the vet visit goes. And please do think seriously about a meter. We will be much better able to help you further down the line if you have some bg data for us to comment on - otherwise we'd just be guessing and that's not the best basis to give proper advice!

Becki and sox and Kris & Teasel like this.
  24. Diana&Tom

PS just asked what meter another UKer uses and it's the Accu Chek Performa Nano, which is apparently a good choice. Worth looking for...

25. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi Diana

Thanks for the message.
    To be perfectly honest I’m not sure how much my vet understands about this. He started him on 2.5u and even on the Caninsulin website it says not to start on anything higher than 2 !
    I’m going to buy the Accu Check Aviva from Amazon - I would be happier knowing his levels before I inject and to give me the reassurance that I’m doing the right thing
    I can’t just judge the shot levels on what I think his mood is and what he has or hasn’t eaten - it’s not fair on him and (as I’ve learnt) potentially dangerous !

Diana&Tom likes this.
  26. amy keay

amy keay Member

I’ll have a look for the accu check Nano now

27. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I am exactly the same I would stress about if he would be ok through the night. One member in here told me you get used to living with a certain amount of uncertainty which I thought how can that be but it is true.

I've never used those as mine is a abbot one but I'm sure some one on here should have experience with one.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  28. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Also I was advised on here that if your vet is able to prescribe prozinc insulin that works much better for cats as it's a slower release. I had to ask my vet specifically for it when I went in.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  29. Diana&Tom

Unfortunately an awful lot of vets don't understand FD very well. If you think about it, vets are like our GPs - they know a little about a lot of things but not necessarily a lot about any one thing! If it's any consolation, a not inconsiderable number of people on this board have switched to a new vet after realising that their existing vet has given bad advice. It makes sense to start on a low dose and work up if necessary, surely - insulin is a very powerful substance and an overdose can be fatal. Sorry, not trying to worry you, I think you're already convinced of the need to test so if the vet says no you'll just have to go it alone... with us here supporting you.

Becki's comments above are right - you get used to living with a certain amount of anxiety, but you have a lot less worry if you test bg before giving insulin. And yes, Prozinc is better really for cats than Caninsulin (which is really intended for dogs) but here in the UK vets usually prescribe Caninsulin first. You may be one of the lucky ones who does well on it, but if not don't despair, there are other insulins, such as Prozinc, with different actions.

30. amy keay

amy keay Member

Accu check Nano a bit cheaper and available at boots - I can get to a boots tomorrow so that’s the first stop tomorrow morning !
    Then I’ll have levels and more confidence. I don’t want to let my precious little boy down.
    I’ll worry about the costs of the strips later - he’s not eating as much so saving pennies on food at the moment !

Diana&Tom likes this.
  31. amy keay

amy keay Member

I’ll ask the vet tomorrow about Prozinc? He’ll know then that I’ve been reading about this and if he looks at me blankly time to change vets !!

I’m going to test - it illogical not too ! (If that’s the right way round !)

Diana&Tom likes this.
  32. Diana&Tom

Great! You'll feel sooooo much better when you're more in control. And don't worry if the vet doesn't want you to test, just do it anyway. Sooty is YOUR cat and you're the one with responsibility for keeping him safe.
    Yes ask about Prozinc but the vet may say carry on with Caninsulin as you've started with it... but will be interesting to see his response when you start talking to him with your new found knowledge! You probably know more than he does now...

33. Diana&Tom

PS when you buy the meter, check how many strips come with it - it may be only ten or so which wouldn't last long if you're testing twice a day or more. So you may want to buy an additional tub (or you may want to wait and see how you get on). You'll also need a supply of lancets (to prick Sooty's ear) - you'll get a few in the starter kit but not many. You should use a fresh lancet for each test. Luckily lancets are much cheaper than strips!

34. amy keay

amy keay Member

Yep thought that might be the case !
    Don’t want to run out of strips or lancets and no point having the machine if I’ve run out of the basics.

I’ll aim to get at least 2 weeks supply with 2 tests a day and I’ll probably buy it all at the same time.
    After that I can look on eBay or online or start saving boots points up.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  35. amy keay

amy keay Member

Sorry one more question
    Because we have started on Caninsulin can he be changed to Prozinc ?

36. Diana&Tom

Yes he could in theory but this is something that only the vet can agree on, however much you beg! The thing is, Caninsulin may be fine, it is fine for some cats. You don't know until you try it. But if you spoke to the vet tomorrow or further down the line and said you'd been doing a lot of reading and liked the sound of Prozinc and could he prescribe it, you'd be at his mercy. You don't need the vet's permission to home test but you do need him to prescribe another insulin IF necessary.

37. amy keay

amy keay Member

Ok thanks. See what he says tomorrow

38. amy keay

amy keay Member

I’ll update once been to vets tomorrow.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Might need help too once I’m testing (and also pre-testing)
    I’ll probably start a new thread at that point.

Becki and sox and Diana&Tom like this.
  39. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hey there... You actually don't want to hit the vein, but the area between the vein and the edge we call the sweet spot. Here's a picture.

BTW, I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

FB74F8E1-4A63-4553-9DC4-FF04947E3182.jpeg

40. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi

Thanks for the info - I’ve had a look at your you tube video and it’s very helpful !
    The only thing I’d say is that I couldn’t see the actual point on the Ear that you put the needle in ?
    I’ll use the diagram as a guide and try to have a look at the Ear when there’s a light near by so I can spot the vein and know to go slightly off from where the vein is

41. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi

I bought an Accu Check Performa Nano today ! Yayyyyy - the first step completed.
    I’ve obviosuly opened it up to see what’s included (10 test strips - I know I need more - on the shopping list for tomorrow), lancet drum, pouch and also a finger pricked fastclix ??
    It says (reading the instructions) that the finger pricker thing can be set to different depths depending on thickness of the skin. This is a human meter and I’m unsure about whether I should use the finger pricker device ? Am I better off just getting some lancets separately and using them ?
    Got vets in an hour - very nervous and anxious.
    Sooty has been very sleepy today and drinking quite a bit.
    I’m withholding food (2 hours before vets) so if he does a glucose test I’ll get a reading (not influenced by food)
    Will update later as I’ll probably need some reassurance and advice (again)

42. Diana&Tom

You don't have to use the finger pricker thing at all, no - in fact it's probably better not to if possible as the sound of it clicking can startle the cat just at a time when you need him to stay still and calm. So yes, just use a lancet "freehand" - I think it's much easier, personally.
    Sorry Sooty hasn't been too good today. When you have an idea of what his bg is, that might give a clue.

There are loads of tips for testing that you can read/see, in fact I saw a post on Facebook earlier today that I'll try and copy here...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Reason for edit: Sp
  43. Diana&Tom

This was written by @Elizabeth and Bertie

Home testing is a new experience for both human and cat. So do allow yourself time and space to get used to the process.
    Below are some tips that I put together for someone else. Something here might be helpful…

HOMETESTING TIPS & TRICKS
    Some things that helped me.

1. WARM EARS. Probably THE most important thing. Warm ears bleed very much more easily than cold ones. You can warm an ear by massaging it, or by holding something warm against it; ie a pill bottle filled with warm water, or a ‘rice sock’ briefly warmed in the microwave.

2. MASSAGING immediately below the ear prick, with finger and thumb, can ‘milk’ more blood out. I almost always do this, if only for a second or two.

3. VASELINE. A teensy weensy smear of Vaseline on the outer edge of the ear will enable the blood to ‘bead up’ and stops it disappearing into the fur. This also makes it easier to see the blood droplet if the kitty has dark ears.

4. RESISTANCE. The lancet needs something to ‘resist’ otherwise it can push the ear away rather than pricking it effectively. Some folks use a piece of cotton wool or folded tissue. I use one of my fingers, but sometimes do accidentally take a blood sample from myself that way.

5. TWO EAR PRICKS close together can often produce enough blood for a test when one ear prick might not.

6. TREATS. It is important to reward the kitty for each attempted test, whether the test was ‘successful’ or not. Cats very soon learn to associate tests with treats. And some will soon come running for their tests. A ‘treat’ is usually a food reward of some kind, but some folks reward their kitties with a cuddle or a grooming session. I actually crumble a few treats for my cat and test him while he’s hoovering up the crumbs.
    Remember to reward yourself too. Chocolate is good…

7. GET COMFORTABLE. If you are physically comfortable you’ll be more relaxed, and also less likely to try to rush the process. Some people like to test their cats on a counter top or a desk, maybe next to a desk lamp. Some people prefer to hold their cats on their laps when they test. Some folks incorporate testing into a grooming session. You’ll find what works best for you. And once you get used to home testing you’ll quite possibly be able to do it anywhere, and maybe even while the kitty is asleep.

8. RELAX. Cats pick up on our moods. The more relaxed and ‘matter of fact’ we are, the more relaxed and confident the kitty is likely to be.

9. PATIENCE. Be kind to yourself. You’re learning something new. (And you’re learning something wonderful!)

44. amy keay

amy keay Member

Thanks Diana, really helpful.

I’ll go out tomorrow and get the lancets and some more strips.
    Be interested to see what the bg level is today - it may give me confidence that I’m on the right track or completely off tack.
    Time for more coffee for me - I’m pacing round the house and nerves are getting worse.

45. Diana&Tom

Yes, it's all about the bg level as you now understand... let us know what the vet says and what the number is there. I expect it to be highish, a combo of vet stress and being late in the cycle when the insulin has worn off.
    Try not to worry, it will all fall into place much more readily now you have the meter. You're certainly not alone in feeling nervous, everyone is at this stage but knowledge (bg numbers) is power!

46. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job deciding to test your kitty in spite of what the vet told you. :woot: Regular testing at home is the only way to see what the insulin is doing inside the cat. @Diana&Tom is so right when she says that knowledge is power.

Not to scare you... but this is a true story from my experience. My sister's cat was diagnosed with diabetes over the summer and her vet told her not to worry about testing for two weeks and not to change the dose for two weeks. If my sister had not tested the cat frequently, as I insisted she do, and move the dose down I don't think the cat would've survived because the dose was too high. I will also add that early on in our diabetes journey I saved my own cat's life by testing him frequently and taking action when he was too low instead of listening to a vet who clearly meant well but didn't know what people here deal with 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Please let us know what we can do to help you. We love questions here. :)

Diana&Tom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  47. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi

I’m back from the vets and the vet WANTS me to test him ! He suggested an Alphatrack but as I’ve got the Accu Check we start tomorrow morning.
    Also Amazon can’t get the Alphatrack until Monday and i don’t want to wait that long before starting.
    He also wants me to get a urine sample to test for Ketones which I’m going to get tomorrow morning and take up there as soon as the vets opens.
    He is drinking lots today and is out of sorts.
    He’s had his tea and looks like he wants to settle (very lethargic).
    Is it worse giving him the shot (1u) and it being too low or giving him too much ?
    I’m getting confused again with the Ketone issue.
    Will hopefully have some Figures from tomorrow morning so we’ll see what they say.
    I’m practising on myself tonight !

48. Diana&Tom

The vet has changed his mind about testing then, I wonder how that happened? Whatever - good news. You'll be fine with the meter you already have so yes start practising on yourself now to get used to it and streamline the process as best you can for tonight, although it will take a few days to really get the knack so it becomes second nature.

Did the vet take a test? We still don't know what the bg was any time today,

As for wondering if 1u is too much or too little, we can't speculate really. But 1u is usually a safe starting dose so best to stick with that for now at least and see how he responds when you start testing. If a dose is too low and keeps a kitty in high numbers for too long, that's potentially damaging, but if it's too high you risk a hypo situation in the very immediate future - so although you don't want to see high numbers for too long, neither do you want to see a very steep drop that could have far worse consequences. It can be tricky finding an "ideal" dose but that's for the next stage, when you have some data and people can comment on its effect.

So for now, get to know the meter. See if you can set up a spreadsheet. And have another good read of the beginners document. Once you've got to grips with testing it may be better to post on the Caninsulin forum where people with specific experience in that insulin will see it.

And as for ketones? Ketones are always a worry if a cat has high blood glucose so it would be good to rule that out so you have one less thing to worry about.

49. amy keay

amy keay Member

I’ve tested myself and my husband with the meter - getting the hang of it (but still more practice needed).
    The starter kit only came with 10 strips so 1st thing tomorrow I’m going out to get some more.
    Vet wants tests done every 2 hours.
    I think he asked for the testing as he was expecting sooty to be s bit brighter but he just lay in his cage and didn’t move.
    We didn’t get a check at the vets (I did ask) and he showed me how to get the blood sample but didn’t test - I should have pressed him for it but didn’t.
    We have some strips for tomorrow so 1st thing tomorrow so will be testing.
    I’ll set up a spreadsheet at that point and post on the Caninsulin forum.
    Worried about him tonight though - he’s drinking loads and very lethargic

50. Diana&Tom

A test every two hours when you haven't tried testing Sooty himself yet may be quite an ask, but do your best and see how you get on. If you are able to get data every two hours that would be a curve - from pre shot number through to onset (when insulin takes effect) to duration (how long it lasts) and then up to pre shot again. Be prepared to waste a few strips in these early days - if you don't get enough blood, for example, you may get an error reading and have to start again with a new strip.

I'm rather surprised the vet didn't do a test as it might have given us all an idea of what's going on. It could be that Sooty is very high and that's making him feel grotty. If he's well into double figures or up in the 20s, he won't be feeling great. So it could be that he needs more insulin. We simply don't know, and meanwhile you're doing the right thing to stay safe and stick with 1u because we also have no way of knowing if he's actually running fairly low and the 1u doesn't suit him. It sounds as if he's high but the only way to see how high and how best to proceed is having bg data to look at.

I do understand the worry, we don't like to see our kitties poorly. Give him lots of TLC and hopefully tomorrow will be the start of getting somewhere with making him feel better.

51. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If you want to try testing his urine for ketones at home you can buy human ketone test strips at any pharmacy. Here are some ways to do it:
    • put the end of the test strip right in his urine stream as he's peeing
    • slip a shallow, long handled spoon under his backside to catch a little pee - you don't need much
    • put a double layer of plastic wrap over his favourite part of the litter box and poke some depressions in it too catch pee.
    Most test strips have to be dipped and allowed to develop for 15 seconds before viewing the colour change in very good light.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  52. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi
    Been out this morning and Boots didn’t have any ketone strips - going to try another couple of pharmacies.

He has been drinking loads all night and wouldn’t touch his breakfast ( I can’t give him his shot until he’s eaten)
    He’s locked in and I’m hoping he does a wee shorty so I can get a sample to the vets.
    Going to try and get a blood sample too,

Is there anything else I should be doing ?

53. Diana&Tom

It's hard to say what else you should be doing as you're aware of the things that need to be done, ie blood and urine tests. The results of these will give you a better picture. If he's drinking so much he'll be using the litter box a lot too so if you can't get ketone strips, at least get a pee sample and take that to the vet and ask them to test for ketones as a priority. And do try to get blood for a bg test - from everything you say it looks likely that he is pretty high and he really should be getting insulin. He's probably not hungry because he feels rotten but if you can tempt him with a favourite morsel - anything - and get him to eat, you can shoot.

How long has it been since you noticed these symptoms? Cats are very good at hiding illness and he may have been diabetic for a while before the dx so the sooner you can establish a testing and shooting routine, the better he'll start to feel. It may feel like a mountain to climb right now but once you start it becomes much easier.

54. amy keay

amy keay Member

Unless he is peeing somewhere else in the house he hasn’t had a wee since yesterday (despite the amount he’s drinking).
    He’s eyeing up the cat flap and wants to go out but I’m not letting him out until a wee. Then off to the vets with the sample.

55. Diana&Tom

So if he's locked in the house, try to get a blood test!

56. amy keay

amy keay Member

He had an eye infection about 2 weeks ago and I took him to the vets and they prescribed antibiotics and metacam. He then started drinking lots and peeing on the floor so that’s when I asked for the blood test and flucto test and it came back with diabetes. So he’s only really had the drinking lots and peeing lots symptoms for a couple of weeks,

57. Diana&Tom

So he was fine before the eye infection? That's interesting. Infection can and does elevate bg so the blood test may have classed him as diabetic when he was still recovering from that. I think you need to ask the vet about this and get the blood and urine samples taken asap. The key to this is knowing whether he needs more or less insulin and at present we just have no idea.

58. amy keay

amy keay Member

Just got a sample -20.4 mmol/L !

That is high !!

59. Diana&Tom

Yes that's high and more or less what we'd expect from what you've been saying. Take heart - it could be worse (meters can read up to 30 and above).
    So now give him his favourite food, make sure he keeps it down, and give 1u. Then if you can do what the vet suggests and test every two hours, we'll know how the insulin is acting and how long it lasts.

60. Diana&Tom

Two things: do give Sooty a little treat after testing. And see if you can set up a spreadsheet to log bg data...

61. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi

Got a urine sample, urine was quite dark considering he has been drinking so much.
    Also managed to feed him (I had to finger feed from me to him) and he’s had his 1u shot.
    After all that I gave him some chicken and let him out (he’s happiest when he’s outside)
    Off to vets now with sample and 11.15 for second bg check.
    I’ll look at the spreadsheet instructions a bit later and hopefully be in a position to get some levels included !

62. Diana&Tom

Ok good progress this morning!
    If you can't do the spreadsheet don't worry, there are people who can set it up for you very quickly - just say.

63. amy keay

amy keay Member

Done 2 more readings -
    +3 = 20.6
    +6 = 21.4

Spoke to vets and no ketones in urine. They said keep 1u but appears it probably needs to be increased.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  64. Diana&Tom

Great news no ketones! Vet is probably right, the 1u may need to be upped, but interesting to see how long the 1u lasts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.