new to this board--hi everyone!--questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by TMR, Mar 3, 2013.

1. TMR

TMR Member

The vet suggested I increase the lantus to 2 units in morning and one unit in the evening. I work night shift 3 nights/week and he was afraid that if I give her 2 units and then leave her alone, I wouldn't know if she went hypoglycemic. He said to do that for a week and see how her blood sugars did. Then I think he wants me to give 2 units in the evening and morning if she tolerates it.

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus works best on consistent dosing, changing dose at night and morning isn't ideal.

Did you get any test results today? Before you increase you might want to check for bounces.

3. TMR

TMR Member

So I ordered some EVO catfood and since it is 0% carbs (now hers is 18% I think) is it ok to continue the increased dose of lantus? Should I switch her food gradually? Do you think I should give her 2 units at night and 2 units in the morning? Her blood sugars have been between 250 and 400 most of the time.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Even dosing is preferred here. How about 1.5 units twice a day? (With monitoring)

I would transition the food gradually to avoid GI upsets like vomiting or diarrhea. Some cats react to food changes; some may not. If you give insulin thinking the food will stay down and it doesn't, you could run into a hypo situation.

If you are testing at the nadir - around +5 to +7 hours after giving insulin - you can monitor the effect of the food transition and adjust the insulin for it gradually, too. The glucose levels may change around 100 points and we don't have a rule of thumb for how much to reduce the insulin. It may need reducing, depending on the level of control so far.

5. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Terri

2 units is to much insulin for her weight, she should only be on 1unit in the morning and 1 unit to be safe. My cat only weighed 9lbs as well. The vets do not always know about dosing. My vet did the same thing to me, as my cat weighed 9lbs as well and she put her on 2 units twice a day which was to much.

Terri

6. TMR

TMR Member

Thank you!

7. TMR

TMR Member

OH, I JUST READ THE COMMENT ABOUT 2 UNITS BEING TOO MUCH! So are you saying that even though her blood sugar is 250-400, I shouldn't increase the insulin due to her weight?

8. terri1962

Terri

To be conservative and starting new based on her weight their is formula for dosing insulin to start. It is she is 9lb which is 4.1 Kilograms. 4.1KG times .25 equals 1.025 which would be her starting dose.
    So her starting dose based on her weight would be 1 Unit morning and 1 unit evening to start.
    Why don`t you go over to the Relaxed Lantus board and post over there, Mel(Momma of Muse) is usually on there and is very helpful.

Terri

9. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Terri,

With Lantus it isn't so much where they are at preshot as how far down the insulin is taking them at their lowest point that we base the dose on. So cats just ride high all day long and we need to increase the dose, some will fall very fast during the day and bounce right back up at preshot time. That is where testing becomes important so we know how fast and how low they are going. My little girl Autumn (although I can no longer really call her little) was under 6lbs when I adopted her as a diabetic, her BG was 528, and I started her on 1u eventually raised it to 1.25 but that proved to be too much for her once I transitioned her over to an low carb/high protein diet...today she is 14lbs (her ideal weight) and is on a scant .25u and may eventually completely give up insulin altogether. On the flipside of that is my Maxwell..he was 10.5lbs when I adopted him and never went higher than 1u and again once the diet changed he went into remission and has been insulin free for 2+ years now. He is also a large cat by frame and is currently 17lbs also his ideal weight.

As much as I wish this was an easy formula of if the cat weighs x, and eats y, then the dose is z that just isn't the way it works, there are many many factors to figuring out the correct dose and only a very few do we have any control over whatsoever. While yes she will probably need more insulin while still eating dry food without knowing how low the dose is taking her and now with a diet change we would rather be conservative than risk her health by giving her too much insulin and sending her into hypo...High numbers kill over time, too low of numbers kill very quickly.

Autumn went 10+ months without any treatment whatsoever when she was first dxed until I adopted her, but she is still here and now is trying very hard to give up her shots. If you would like to post over on Relaxed Lantus I will try to help you figure out what is best for your little girl.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

10. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you order Young again... zero %?

or Evo which is 8%?

Since Evo can be found in stores and Young Again can not. I assume you ordered the Young Again.

11. TMR

TMR Member

I think it is turkey and chicken dry cat food. 0% carbs.

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There is no fixed amount of insulin per glucose level, so you'll be guessing, based on what you observe. As it takes 3-5 days to adjust the dose on Lantus, you'll have an idea of the effect if you test around the nadir while transitioning slowly to avoid GI upsets. Vomiting will throw the glucose to dose relationship right out the window into hypo territory if you aren't careful.

13. TMR

TMR Member

It has been a rough week. First I was really sick and then both my kids had health issues--one even went to the ER---so I haven't been checking Midnight's blood sugar every day. But I am getting the EVO catfood tomorrow (0% carb) so I will transition her starting then. I have still been giving her 2 units lantus in the morning and 1 unit at night--it has been almost a week since I increased the morning dose from 1 unit to 2 units. I checked her blood sugar today and it was 284 before breakfast/insulin and 250 6 hours later. I will check it again tonight before dinner/insulin. That will give me a starting point before switching her food. Does this make sense? Then as I transition her food I can keep an eye on how it affects her blood sugar. I had one more thought today: the vet wanted me to only give her 1 unit insulin in the evening in case her blood sugar dropped while I was working nightshift. But if I am home at night I would probably be asleep--so what difference does it make? Doesn't it make more sense to give her the same dose in the morning and evening?

14. rvontrapp

rvontrapp Member

Glad to see you back :smile: and glad you and your family are feeling better.

15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

16. TMR

TMR Member

Well, that completely SUCKS. I ordered the food from 3 different places and the first 2 turned out to be out of stock, and it is very expensive. I will check when I get the food tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know!

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes. Please see the Lantus stickies here to read more about using Lantus.

18. TMR

TMR Member

Thanks for the link....there are SO many message threads there, I don't know where to start. But I will try to find what you are referring to.

19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just start at the top and work your way down.

Use the SQRRR approach you may have learned in school - survey, query, read, review, recite

Survey - Skim over posts to get an idea what they're about - this sets up "advance organizers" in your brain where you'll put in more detail.

Query - figure out what questions you want to be able to answer after studying.

Read - take notes, if you want

Review - see how your content recall is

Recite - see if you can answer the questions you generated.

20. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

You've probably already been pointed to most of the "Stickies" at the top of the Lantus Forum, but I'll summarize them for you below:
    • New to the Group?: General Info on Lantus, glucometers, syringes, dosing, what a typical Lantus curve might look like, food lists, etc....
    • Tight Regulation Protocol: dosing information.
    • Info, Proper handling, & Storage: syringes, pens vs. vials, etc....
    • Insulin Depot: explaining how the depot works and how Lantus and Levemir differ significantly in dosing from all the other insulins available (i.e. PZI/ProZinc).
    • Shooting and Handling Low Numbers: What to do when you see numbers under 200 when first starting out or 150 after you've been doing it for a while. Specifically for introducing the "shoot low to stay low" method of the Tight Regulation protocol. (I wouldn't worry about this one just yet.)

:thumbup Fascinating. Never heard of this approach before now. :idea:

21. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

if you scroll past the "Announcement" section to the "Topics" section, the six Lantus & Levemir TR Stickies are marked with yellow stars.
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

22. TMR

TMR Member

I got the EVO chicken and turkey and it is not part of the recall. Phew! However, the bag says it is 7% carbs. The list from this website I found (which now that I think about it might have been wet food, but I thought was dry food) said it was 0% carbs. Well, I spent almost $60 on it and it is 15 pounds, so it will probably last me a couple months, so as long as Midnight tolerates it, I will feed it to her. Then next time I will try to find a lower carb dry food. Believe me, I am really trying to do all the right things!!

23. terri1962

Terri

You are doing the best you can. Most of all you must make sure she eats. Life can get busy. How are her numbers looking? Her Blood Glucose Levels, how have they been?

Terri

24. rvontrapp

rvontrapp Member

Yes, I agree with Terri. It is better than what Midnight has been eating, by far! Let's hope she likes it.

25. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Here's hoping she loves the new dry food. It is so hard when a kitty throws up all the time with the canned foods. I've had cats that could not tolerate any grains or even rice in their food (ibd), fish allergies and beef allergies.

Now Midnight. Mommy got you some yummy new food. Please let us know how you like it.

26. TMR

TMR Member

Looking at this chart, it looks like I selected one of the lowest carb dry foods: Dry Cat Food Nutritional Information, Compiled by Janet & Binky, Updated: February 2, 2008. I tried to post a link, but it isn't working.

27. terri1962

Terri

Have you given her any of it yet? Hopefully she will eat it and do alright with it. You have to feed her what her little stomach will tolerate.

Terri

28. TMR

TMR Member

Not yet. I just got it this afternoon.

29. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Switch gradually to reduce GI upset. Mix a little in each day like this:

25% day 1
    50% day 2
    75% day 3
    !00% day 4

30. terri1962

Terri

Are you giving Lantus 2 units in the evening and 1 unit in the morning? Is midnight having strange BG readings? I saw you questioned the vet in one of your previous posts about that dosing.
    You were correct, Lantus is dosed evenly. If you give 1unit in the morning, then you should give 1 unit in the evening, otherwise it will cause wacky numbers.

Terri

31. TMR

TMR Member

I am going to give 2 units am and pm until I see how/if her blood sugar changes with the new food.

32. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Um ... how about 1 1/5 units.

Its best to test a new dose when you are awake and home to monitor, just in case.

33. TMR

TMR Member

How can I really monitor her after her evening dose? I usually give it around 7 pm. I work night shift 3 nights a week: 7 pm to 7:30 am. So I give it to her as close to 7 (am and pm) as I can. Even if I am off work and home, I might go to bed around 9 or 10 pm, so I wouldn't be awake to monitor her during the night.

34. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the vampire club. I routinely set the alarm for middle of the night to do a test. Not every night, but easily twice a week. Or if I need to get up at night to use the washroom, or if I happen to wake up naturally I will go test then too.

Wendy

35. TMR

TMR Member

What exactly do you do if you get up during the night? Just check on the cat or test the blood sugar?

36. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

We test. You can't always tell just by looking. Some cats don't show signs until they are too low.

37. TMR

TMR Member

It has been about a week switching to the new food. I am almost out of the old food. She is eating well. The first couple meals, I don't think she liked it or just seemed confused about it, but now she eats it all. I don't think Midnight's bowel movements (still loose) or urination (still a lot) have changed. I have been giving her 2 units lantus every 12 (ish) hours. I checked her blood sugar this morning. It was 294. I will check it again mid-day and this evening before dinner. But if it is still just as high as it was on when we started (1 unit twice a day and higher carb food), should I go up to 3 units twice a day?

38. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

It is a bad idea to increase in whole units.....You could miss the optimum dose and also possibly find yourself in a hypo situation .
    Increases are in 0.25 units at a time. ( they are some times 0.50u when all test numbers are above 300 )

It would be really helpful if we could get a spreadsheet set up for you.
    setting up a spreadsheet instructions

I'm not good at tech but there are some here who will help you actually get one set up if you have trouble.

39. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

I would like to share with you a spreadsheet of a cat who absolutely would not eat wet food....
    She was on the Evo dry until she found the Young Again Zero Carb and it made a huge difference.
    You can see what happened on this spreadsheet dry fed diabetic

I'm not an advocate of dry. I feed canned to my cat but if you are staying with dry. ( And it is your decision )
    I would get the young again zero carb when you finish that bag of Evo. Heck. I think I would get one sooner and mix them now.
    Dry food keeps their numbers higher.... It is metabolized differently and stays in the system longer .
    I believe your numbers will stay higher even on the Evo. As it did for the cat in the example.
    That cat had to work its way up to a much higher dose to compensate for the evo dry. ( And she didn't do the increases right... she jumped in whole units early on before she learned not to do it that way )

Perhaps you could introduce canned food as a treat when you are home and eventually get your cat to a canned diet.

The spreadsheet helps everyone see your numbers and that will help with advising you when you need to adjust your dose.

40. TMR

TMR Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I was getting the 2nd or 3rd lowest carb dry cat food, from the list I saw. I spent about $60 on a huge bag so it won't be empty soon. Maybe I will mix it with what was recommended. This is so frustrating! I can't believe I have spent $1000 on my cat and she didn't even have surgery or anything like that! It is a lot of money!

41. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

It is a lower carb ....
    I just happen to be able to provide an example of one cat's experience. And I want all kitties to have the best shot at doing better or remission as they can have.

I have a step mother in law who takes her vets advice over mine ( and he's telling her bad info )
    Her cat is probably diabetic or borderline and she's feeding much higher carbs. It's hard to watch and keep my mouth shut. :eek: :YMSIGH: :roll:

Good thing you found this board....
    You should be able to save money in the future by doing your own curves. The vets love to do those for you and it's not necessary.
    Everyone has great money saving tips.

42. TMR

TMR Member

OK. So it has been a week since I have been switching Midnight to EVO 8%. Most of her meals have been that, with just a little Purina DM mixed in to get rid of it. On the Purina DM, her blood sugars were in the 200s to 300s before breakfast, mid-day, and before dinner. Today it was 294 before breakfast and 66 six hours later. Do you think that means the lower carb food is helping and I should cut down on her insulin?

43. TMR

TMR Member

44. TMR

TMR Member

I am totally confused about the spreadsheet. I don't understand how to update it or get to it in the future.

45. rvontrapp

rvontrapp Member

Oh, I'm not very good with the spreadsheet either; I had to have another FDMB member help me get it set up. I've never used Google docs before. But, I can tell you how I get mine updated.

*I sign-in to check my email (gmail).
    *On that main page where all your emails are listed, at the top right-hand corner of the page is your email address written out with a little triangle or down arrow next to it.
    *Left click on the arrow and a drop down box will appear and will have some selections: Account - Privacy, Sign-Out and another selection or two.
    *Select Account and it will take you to an "Accounts" page and on the right side of the page it has a menu for "Other Tools"
    *Under the "Other Tools" menu select "Go to the Dashboard to see all Data"
    *On the "Dashboard" page, scroll down to the "Docs" heading. Select "owned by me" or "shared by me" and Midnight's spreadsheet should be one of the documents listed
    *Any changes you make to the spreadsheet from within your gmail account (like how you accessed it by these directions) is automatically saved so you don't have to "save" it before closing it or logging-off/out

I'm sorry these directions are so convoluted and round-about. I hope this works for you. It is the only way I know to access my spreadsheet to make updates. If someone has a more direct way to access and update the spreadsheet, I am all ears!

46. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

in the web address, type docs.google.com

That will take you right to a sign in page.

Enter the e-mail you used and your password, click, and voila, you are at your list of documents.

47. TMR

TMR Member

OK. Anyone have input on the 66?

48. terri1962

Terri

You might want to start a new post, this one is getting over 3 pages. Put in it you need help with dosing information. Also include in the post how much insulin you are currently giving. You might also want to include what you are currently feeding Midnight.
    Otherwise they would have to read back through 3 pages of previous posts.

Terri

49. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

66 is a great nadir number! As long as he didn't drop too low before or after that 66 (since it was +6 hours after his shot, he probably didn't), I'd be very happy to see that number myself. :mrgreen:

From the looks of things, you're giving 2u in the AM and 1u at night. This is NOT an effective way to use Lantus since the Lantus depot never properly forms. You want to be able to safely shoot the same dose both AM and PM and I have a feeling that 2u twice daily will be too much for him. If I were you, I'd split the difference and give 1.5u AMS and 1.5u PMS for a couple of days and see how Midnight does.

ETA: Just noticed the dates on the spreadsheet. My suggestion would be to insert an extra line between 4/9 and 4/18 so others don't make the same mistake. ;-)

Since you've got a spreadsheet set up, I would suggest you move over to the Lantus Board where more eyes can see your posts. We post daily "condos" about our cats with their numbers and this is where we can any questions we might have or advice we might need from others using Lantus. Feel free to check out a few of the posts and see the formatting. My suggestion would be to make your subject something like this:
    "3/18 Midnight AMPS 294, +6/66 - New Here, Need Dosing Advice"

50. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful mid-cycle number. Did you shoot 2 units the night before? the note for that line says you were going to shoot 2 units am and pm.

Just saw the date gap - a blank line, shaded gray will help visually separate the 2 chungks of entries.

51. TMR

TMR Member

66 is good??????????? What is a normal blood sugar range for a cat? What do you consider hypoglycemic?

52. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

Yes - its great!

My diabetic cat who is now diet-controlled has tested from 48 to 80 since going off insulin.
    1 of my other cats usually tests in 40s and 50s.

66 is a nice, healing number - the more time Midnight is under 150, the more likely her pancreas is to heal and start doing its job all by itself!

If you had 66 early in the cycle, eg. +2 or +3 it may have been cause for concern and you may have had to test more and possibly take charge of the cycle using food.
    eg. If she dropped below 50, you would give her some high carb food (just a little) to bring her numbers back up and then she'd get a dose reduction :D

53. TMR

TMR Member

So do you think I should continue the 2 units in the am and pm? Does this mean it is working well the way I am doing it now?

54. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not a dosing expert - just a comment when I see a really nice number.
    If you post over on Tight Regulation, you will get a response.

55. pteacher

pteacher Member

Hi...I am new here, but love your post and totally agree. My kitty has yet to come home from the vets after just being diagnosed yesterday. I am overwhelmed with all of this. Right now, the vet has said nothing to me about home testing except that she will send me home with some crystals I can put in the litter box that will turn color if there is a problem. Doesn't constant testing make the cats ears hurt and also make them run and hide from you knowing what is coming? I have a real hard time doing anything that causes pain even when I know it is for their own good. I have yet to give a shot or do any of this. I also have another cat at home and it will be a challenge with all the food changes. They are used to having constant access to food, but I will be getting rid of the dry food container and only giving them the wet. Now to get them to like the lower carb varieties instead of the gravy ones. :roll: I know all of this will take time, but it's just so sad and my prayer will be that my kitty (Rocky) will be one of the "lucky" ones who will go into remission fairly quickly. His "mommy" is a wimp! nailbite_smile

56. TMR

TMR Member

I can appreciate your comments. After going through this for about 6 or 7 weeks, here is what I have decided:
    1. If you can switch to wet, low carb, high protein food, do it. I agree that it is healthier for the cat and might help regulate the blood sugar (ideally decreasing or eliminating the insulin requirement).
    2. If you cannot or choose not to switch to wet food, try to get the lowest carb dry food possible. The next best thing to wet food.
    3. You can do it. A tiny little shot of insulin once or twice a day is manageable. It really isn't a big deal after a while.
    4. I agree with home testing, in general. I have chosen at this point not to test before every insulin shot. In a human being I would definitely do that. I would not give insulin without knowing the person's blood sugar first. But it is a cat. Although I am going to a lot of time/money/effort to take care of my cat, I am doing it my way. I am testing periodically, not daily. It is not hard to use the home meter. You put a little strip in the machine, the machine automatically turns on, and you put the tiniest little drop of blood on the strip. It takes a few seconds to get the result. It really is easy. And the supplies (meter, lancets,and test strips) are very cheap at Walmart. The only challenging part of it for me is getting the tiny drop of blood. Warming Midnight's ear first helps. Sometimes I have to poke more than once to get the blood. They say cat's ears don't have many nerve endings so it shouldn't hurt them much. I see it as a part of taking care of my cat. Not as hurting her.
    5. You can do it. You can do it. You can do it. Even if it takes some time to process everything. I think I would recommend looking at this website and message boards for information, and no where else. You could spend days on the internet (like I did at first) researching this but it will just make you crazy. These people are going through the same thing and give sound advice.

57. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Hi Rocky's Mommy! Don't worry; you've found the best place you wish you never were. :lol:

Ear testing does not hurt the cat; their ears are less sensitive than our own fingertips and they are simply inconvenienced by it.

I suggest you perhaps start your own post and give us a little more information about yourself and about Rocky (i.e. what kind of insulin has the vet prescribed, what made you suspect something was wrong, how much he weighs, does he have any other medical issues, etc...).

We're here to help in whatever capacity you need it. :YMHUG:

58. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Welcome Rocky and His Mom

FIrst off you might want to start your own post with an introduction so everyone knows you are here and can help you out.

Now to address a couple of things that you mentioned in your post. I have 14 cats...yes 14, two of which are diabetics everyone here eats what my two diabetics eat, with a slight variation that one of my diabetics eats Fancy Feast, because she is highly allergic to all grains, while my other diabetic (who is in remission) and the other 12 non-diabetic cats eat Friskies and 9-lives Pates. With only a couple of cats you should have no problem switching everyone's diet to the same as Rocky's. As he really isn't going to require anything special other than it needs to be low carb canned...the prescription stuff is unnecessary and doesn't contain anything ingredients wise that can't be found in regular commerical canned catfood.

As far as testing hurting them and making them run and hide..NOT AT ALL!! In fact both of my diabetics were adopted as diabetics when their previous owners either couldn't or wouldn't treat them and elected to have them euthanized instead. Yet right now one of them is laying on my lap purring his head off and making me type one handed, while the other one is asleep about 2 ft away on the couch. But I can tell you right now I could turn on Autumn meter and not only would she not run from me, she would run TO me. Cats are very smart and it doesn't take them long to figure out that the shots make them feel better and that testing gets them a tasty treat before and after. In fact even after being in remission for over 2 years now Maxwell still comes running when he hears the meter beeps on

Because they were adopted as diabetics I started testing within minutes of meeting them, so if I was doing anything that hurt them, they would have absolutely nothing to do with me afterall they didn't know me from Eve when I started sticking them with needles or poking them in the ear. Yet both are just as affectionate and loving as any of my other cats, and sleep with my husband and I every night, snuggle with us on the couch and follow me around the house during the day. In fact Autumn has her little routine every morning where she comes running when our alarm clock goes off so she can give us kisses before she goes and jumps up on her testing spot to wait for her morning test and then goes to the kitchen to await breakfast with the rest of the kitties.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang