New to this feline diabetes stuff

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shyla, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shyla

Shyla New Member

Hello my name is Shyla my 3 yr old kitty dick was diagnosed dec 10th with diabetes and I'm doing novolin 5 twice a day for him and feeding him friskies pates and shreds until he gets more used to pates but recently he just started peeing outside his litter box once a day otherwise he will use his litter box and my husband hates cat pee he is going to the vet today at 330 so hoping to get more answers

Kate and Kloever likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    - The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Novolin is one brand and besides N/NPH is also avaialbe in the faster acting R and mixtures of N/NPH and R. Hopefully, you have N. N only last 8-10 hour normally and is not best for cats.
    - Better insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective.
    - Are you giving 5 units twice a day? 5 units is a very very high starting dose especially for N.
    - Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    - You are right about gong to the Friskies pate foods
    Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

That's a huge starting dose of insulin. And as others have said, Novolin N isn't the best for cats. And Novolin R should not be used as a basal insulin.
    I wish you luck at the vet visit today, and that your husband understands that sometimes people / others have issues and it won't last forever.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

With that dose, just to be prepared, here are our guidelines for identifying and treating hypoglycemia (glucose which is too low).

5. Kate and Kloever

Kate and Kloever Member

I'm here for ya girl!!! :)

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Shyla,

I'm glad that you took Dick to the vet in order to identify what might be causing the inappropriate peeing. For information, sometimes when diabetic kitties are not regulated properly they may develop toileting problems, but they tend to resolve when blood sugar levels get better controlled (worth a mention to your other half!). If you're getting blood work done in the future, I'd suggest asking your vet to check Dick's B12 levels. Sometimes diabetic cats develop neuropathy (nerve damage) and that might feed into the litter box issues. Supplementing the diet with B12 methylcobalamin can be a very effective treatment for neuropathy. Zobaline is a methylcobalamin supplement suitable for diabetic kitties (no sugar in the tablets).

Be sure to let us know how Dick got on at the vet, and whether there is anything else we can do to help.

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.