New to this forum and new to cat diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becki and sox, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

It's not 'typical' that the high numbers on insulin would be higher than the numbers off insulin (we would hope the numbers would all be lower!). But it could well be that Sox's body is responding to lower numbers by raising it's own blood glucose (bouncing). That could certainly raise the blood glucose higher than he was off insulin. 'Bouncing' is frustrating, but quite common, especially initially...

If it's Butchers, the calories seem to be between 79 and 83 calories per 100g (according to the food list).

2. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Ooo okies so it may still settle down then.
    Yes it's the butcher's I have thank you for that.

@MrWorfMen's Mom do you think I should check BG in the night again?

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

It never hurts to get those mid cycle tests but I also appreciate the need for a good night's rest. Given he's higher again tonight, I'd definitely do the before bed test and unless he's down a fair bit, (roughly 11 or below) you are probably ok to skip setting the alarm.

4. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Can they also bounce when they aren't on insulin?

5. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

12.2 before bed. Snack fed going to try any go the night with out checking

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  6. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Morning guys just feeling a little concerned as Sox morning BG are going up alot higher than they used to be before he was on insulin. He always used to range in the yellow area with the odd purple here and there but now he's seeming to always be in the purple?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's probably a good idea to start a new thread...this one has over 300 comments.

You might also want to start posting in the ProZinc forum where you'll get the most experienced ProZinc user's advising you

8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Sound advice on both counts.

Becki @Becki and sox, sorry to see that higher number. It seems to me that Sox is something of a 'bouncy' cat (that's just my ten cents). If that's the case there are different ways of approaching the issue.
    I second Chris's suggestion to post directly on the Prozinc forum about this. That way you will attract the attention of many more Prozinc users.

Eliz

9. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Have done thank you. I think I've managed to post it on the prozinc board and the normal health board some how :eek: lol.
    I think he possibly is. As his body get used to the lower numbers should those higher numbers come down?

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  10. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom hey bed reading tonight of 11.6 should I set an alarm for +6 hours tonight do you think?

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Let me take a look at SS. BRB.

12. MrWorfMen's Mom

Can you stay up another half hour and test again to see whether Sox is holdng, rising or still dropping? That's a big drop for 3 hours.

13. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom yes I'll test at 11.
    I tested and gave his food just before half 10.

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's Ok. I take it you gave him low carb which may bump him up a bit but will just be hitting his system. I just want to make sure he's not on a major mission tonight. He came down a fair ways today too by +5 so he's definitely working the 1u better.

15. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

He is yes. Yeah it was just his normal low carb food I fed.
    His highs just seem to be going abit higher than they were before.

16. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

9.1 reading just

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

The higher numbers are likely a bit of bouncing because of the drops Sox is getting. They will calm down as his body gets more used to the lower numbers. He's very active tonight so as much as it pains me, I'd be inclined to say test again in 2 hours and see if he is staying steady or finally on the way up. I think he'll be starting up by then but I think to be safe, better to test. I'll be around and will check back in to see what he's doing.

18. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom okie dokie who needs sleep any ways :woot: lol.
    Yes I definitely agree better to be safe.
    I'll post on here when I've tested.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  19. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

7.8 on the +6 reading do I need another alarm?

20. MrWorfMen's Mom

Holy Cow! Sox is really working the juice tonight. Give him some MC food. He should be finished dropping now and medium carb should boost him up for a while. These are nights that are tough until you know how he's reacting and you are just starting to see his reaction to the 1u dose. If I were you, I'd either stay up for a bit and retest at +7 just to be safe or set an alarm for a couple of hours. So sorry Becki but he is really active tonight and safety is paramount! He's in great numbers now and has probably reached nadir or is close to but only by testing will you know for sure. Nice cycle though!

Becki and sox likes this.
  21. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Ok I only had his normal food to hand so I have given him a little bit of that with a few crunchies mixed in. I'll set another alarm for a couple of hours and retest.
    Suppose this is the only problem with working and needing to test through the night isn't it.

22. MrWorfMen's Mom

Once you get settled on a dose and know what he does with it, it gets easier but you are still in early days. There may be some nights when more testing is needed but that's part of getting the numbers down. You started off with a bang, backed up the dose as a result and now this increase is showing a bit more positive result. If you are exhausted and don't want/can't get up middle of the night to test, and he is having an active night, you can use food to being them up so you can get some sleep. Right now though, it would be good to find Sox's best dose if possible. You have to take care of you too so don't be afraid to say I just can't test anymore. Sox needs you so you have to look after yourself!

Becki and sox likes this.
  23. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi Becki. You have 3 threads running simultaneously and this thread has well over 300 replies. In order to keep pertinent information together, please post in the thread you started earlier today in the Prozinc forum: New to prozinc first week of giving insulin help/advice please (UK).

You'll also find others over there who have hands on experience with the same insulin you're using.

As soon as your comfortable (tonight or tomorrow morning), please continue posting in your thread on the Prozinc Forum. You can change the title in the subject line if you'd like. This thread has become much too lengthy.

24. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Sorry if I've cause any problems I just thought I'd message on here to speak to mrworfmens mom as she's helped me alot and I didn't know there was a limit to threads.
    Sorry again.

25. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

No worries... not a problem! :)

26. Monstergarage

Monstergarage New Member

I never ever let my cats go outside & you shouldn't either!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.