New to this site, not new to Feline Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LoudKez, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoudKez

LoudKez New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, however my cat has been treated for diabetes since Sept 2012.

Good news is he's totally being managed by diet now. He's come off insulin injections and he's thriving! And then some. Jacob the Cat, has 38+ lives, and he's still fighting (many other illnesses, including cancer).

I've joined this forum, in the hopes of finding an alternative to Purina DM wet (regular formula), as what we thought was meant to be possibly 1-2 months of palliative care (for cancer), has now laster 12+months, and I'd like to give my little old man, some new flavour options for his meals.

I'll post a detailed thread in the appropriate forum as per the protocol.

Nice to see so many pet parents striving to help others.
    Kerri & Jacob the Cat

Attached Files:

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Check out Cat Info for some ideas on feline nutrition and a downloadable foodlist in the right column of the home page to that site.

3. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

If you could update your signature with information, like meter used, insulin used, age of cat and what ever else you would like to share, that would be most helpful. You can update your signature by clicking on the upper right.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter
    general location (city and state/province)
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site from another Ontario Canadian. So glad to hear Jacob's diabetes is managed by diet only and that he is also fighting off his other health issues.

BJM provided a link to the some cat food info. You mentioned other health issues. If any of them are kidney problems, you will need to try to find foods low in phosphorus for Jacob.

One of our Canadian members (who just happens to be in the your area of Ontario) is working on a canned food listing for Canada so if you can let us know what other health issues Jacob is dealing with, perhaps we can help you find some alternatives that will expand his menu.

6. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Kerri from the fellow Londoner Linda mentioned!

As she mentioned I've been working on an all-Canadian food list. It's slow going but I have 2 varieties of PC Extra Meaty foods that are low carb and reasonable phosphorous. I wanted to find something lower in Phosphorous for Genghis - I had been feeding the Fancy Feast (classics only - chicken, turkey & giblets, etc). There are photos and ingredient listings for the PC foods on the second tab - I've noticed they don't show up well on mobile devices but should work fine for a Mac or PC.

Here is a link to what I have so far - the rest will come when I get the values from the manufacturers.

Welcome to the site! Jacob is a handsome fellow - he looks like quite a character.

7. nora

nora Member

Goodness, Keri, you've done an amazing job with Jacob getting him stable on diet alone, especially with his other health issues. It sounds like he deserves some other yummy options. I'm new at this, so I'm just here to congratulate you and thank you for reminding the rest of us of what can be done for our babies!--Nora and Kali

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Per Feline CRF, cooked egg white is low in phosphorus and a good source of protein.
    Per Cat Info, you can add 1 ounce lean protein to 5 ounces of cat food to lower fat and carbohydrate content more.

So you might add 1 ounce of cooked egg white to the 5 ounces of cat food, mix well, and portion out to help reduce the phosphorus load.

Additionally, depending on the stage of CRF, you may wish to use a phosphorus binder.

nora and Brashworks like this.
  9. nora

nora Member

Thank you! Will try this!--Nora and Kali (and Savvy)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.