New to this

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by srh4601, Jan 5, 2018.

1. srh4601

srh4601 New Member

Hi everyone! My 10-year-old male cat, Boo, was just diagnosed yesterday. His glucose was over 500 and I will need to change his diet and start insulin. I am feeling very overwhelmed with all the information and opinions out there. I am also feeling financially stressed. I am a single parent who works part-time due to health reasons. My two rescue cats are my therapy animals. I cannot even imagine having to surrender Boo due to his diagnosis, but I am unsure how I will be able to afford all the vet visits and the insulin. Does anyone have information on financial help or maybe just some words of encouragement? Thank you!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Boo! We have lots of money saving tips. To start, there’s no need for the expensive vet prescription foods, an over the counter low carb wet food will work just as well. Many of us use Friskies Pate or Fancy Feast Classic. Come over to the Main Health Forum and tell us more about sweet Boo and we will show you how to home test him (keeps him safe and saves money by not having to pay the vet to do it!) as well as other things to make this sugar dance a bit easier to manage!

3. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Welcome Boo and Boo's parent! :bighug:

srh4601 likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! As Sharon already said, you can find inexpensive low-carb wet foods, and you can test at home. Both will save you money and contribute to keeping Boo safe and getting him healthy.

srh4601 likes this.