New to vetsulin need some advice on first dose.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Cathy & Mini, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Cathy & Mini

Cathy & Mini New Member

My name is Cathy and Mini (Kitty) is getting the vetsulin. This is my second diabetic cat. I was on this site years ago with (Big) Kitty,
    We Brought her to the vet this morning and her bg was 397 at 10am and were told to go home and give her 2 units. But with our schedule, 6 or 7pm works better for the 12 hours apart. So she has not gotten any insulin yet.
    When I did the pmps (7pm) I got 267. She has been at around 320 the couple times I tested her this week (couldn’t get to vet till this morning)
    Ok so I have ready decided to try 1 unit at first but with her being below 300 now, without any insulin, do I try less? I have the syringes that the vet gave me which are U-40 but do not have half unit markings.
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
    Cathy

BBelshan likes this.
  2. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Sorry no one has responded yet. I am new so I can't really give great advice yet. It looks like on the sticky that 1 unit seems to be the go to starting does. It helps to try to get a curve to see how low the cat drops. If you are uncomfortable giving 1, I am sure giving less wouldn't hurt, it is better to be a bit high than too low. I found that my U-40 syringe plungers seemed to be the thickness of .25 units (not counting the dome). I hope that someone with more experience can help you out.

3. Cathy & Mini

Cathy & Mini New Member

Thanks for the reply! This morning she was at 290 so I gave her a half unit. I do plan on testing her again approximately 6 hours from then to see how she is. I do agree that being a little high is better then too low.

BBelshan likes this.
  4. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Vetsulin seems to have an earlier nadir than other insulins. I found my cat's lowest was 3-4 hours later so at 6 your kitty might be on the rise. Good luck getting the numbers. I still haven't managed a complete curve!

5. Cathy & Mini

Cathy & Mini New Member

Mini was 233 at +6 and 317 at pmps. I gave her one unit and will check again at +2. I might get a +4 before bed. I won’t be able to do a full curve until Friday.

BBelshan likes this.
  6. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

If you find you need to increase again, try to go up in .25 units at a time. Sometimes a half unit is too much.