New: Totally Wonky Numbers; on Antibiotics; What to Do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MissLuna, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissLuna

MissLuna Member

Hello All! I just joined, our kitty, Miss LunaMae, having been diagnosed 9 days ago. I just posted an introduction, downloaded the spreadsheet and added the numbers. I am now requesting your wonderful advice!!!

LunaMae was at the doctors 5 days last week - she had an "all clear" check up 2 months ago - she took a dive over the weekend, and a week-ago Monday had a number of tests. She has a kidney infection and diabetes. Her BG numbers numbers have been all over the place - the vet agrees with this. He also agrees that during her check up there were no signs in her tests, which is unusual. I like this vet a lot. I went to bring her in for a curve, and hadn't been yet trained on how to test her, and she was acting really out of it. I decided to give her some corn syrup. He wasn't happy with this, as it did not help the curve, but agreed based on her symptoms that it was the right thing to do. I was trained on how to use the lances, but have been much happier using the lancing device. I am using the Alphatrak 2, and just ran out of strips, but should receive more this afternoon (so very expensive!)

She has had a few "scary low" numbers since, and is receiving low doses of insulin. She is on a very high protein diet now, only wet food. If some of you could take a peek at her spreadsheet, I would be grateful! Her vet has already changed her "1 in the morning and 1 in the evening" to 1 unit in the morning and .5 in the evening. She is eating more food now, and feeling a whole lot better (it was scary for a few days there) - it was scary when I gave her 1 unit in the morning on the 25th and her BG dropped from 426 to 36 in 5 hours. So I gave her .5 the next morning, but honestly I couldn't feel the plunger move at all (it is so little!) and her numbers did not go down much at all. So for the evening dose, when she was at 301, I gave her .75 This morning her BG was even lower, so I gave her no insulin.

I've been force feeding her using two large syringes (no needles of course) fairly successfully every morning and evening. Yesterday and today she lapped a little as well. She is happy, looking so much better, jumping up on our bed, coming out to see how everyone is. Regarding the insulin: .5 seems to be too little. .75 too much. I know that it takes a while to regulate, but her BG numbers just are getting way too low.

Or is this because her kidney infection is being treated, and she is getting high quality wet food? Maybe she won't need insulin? Do I just keep poking her poor ears multiple times a day?
    She is on Lantus 100. The needles are correctly sized, with "half" markings as well. I am being VERY careful, and am the only one to feed/prick/test/administer medication to, so that we can avoid any issues (no double dosing, in other words.)

With her numbers so low today, I don't want to give her insulin until my new testing supplies get here later today. Has anyone else seen such dramatic swings with such a small amount of insulin? (She had lost some weight, and is about 6 lbs.) Your expert advice is so very welcome!

ps, as she was at the doctor's 5 times last week, and Winky twice (I found an unusual lump on her that we had biopsied) we have already spent over $3,000. I would rather not have to take her in to see what the vet had to say yet - he will want to do another curve, and I feel as if I can do that successfully at home, with less stress effecting the results, once my supplies get here. She will already be going in late next week. Thank you!

2. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Can you get to Walmart to pick up a cheap human meter? Most of us here use human meters because they are much cheaper and easier to access.

I won't give you dosing advice for Lantus, but those lows this morning are very concerning! Lantus is a long acting depot insulin, so even if you don't give her more, it still keeps working for several days. You may be better served posting this in the Lantus forum where more experienced members can give you expert advice.

MissLuna likes this.
  3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Infection can easily raise blood glucose (BG). If she has an infection, and the antibiotics are clearing it up, she will need less insulin. Adding in the low carb canned food can lower her BG even more. Could she end up not being diabetic? Yes, it’s possible. You will need to be very careful monitoring her BG.

The Alpha track is expensive. Most people here use human glucose monitors. They are cheap to buy and the strips are cheap and easily accessible. They read a bit lower than the pet ones, but we just adapt to that. I hope someone else will post with recommendations for you.

MissLuna likes this.
  4. MissLuna

MissLuna Member

Thank you so much!

5. MissLuna

MissLuna Member

Thank you! We are using the AlphaTrack 2, because a work-friend of my husband's gave it to him, and the vet prefers this one. But OUCH! I will need to make my way over to Walmart!

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Our vet recommended the AlphaTrak also, and we got that, then when I realized how much we were spending on strips, we got the Relion Confirm. Takes the same very small blood drop and much more affordable, plus in the event of great need, we can get more strips at a 24 hour Walmart. The human meter is still going to tell you if BG is high or low, and it's good to have a back up.

MissLuna likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The cheapest place for alpha strips is usually amazon. Go through ibotta and you'll get 3% back. I've found I can also get freestyle insulinx strips off eBay and they work good in the alpha. I have gotten them for 10-14$ for 50. Helps save money.

MissLuna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.