New User Needing Help with Dosing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KPassa, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

A new user posted in the wrong spot, so I wanted to make sure they didn't get lost in the shuffle. I've re-directed them to check here for response.

Re: Looking for advice with insulin dosing

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately, Lantus is not the type of insulin where you can effectively use a sliding scale. Rather, Lantus works best if you give the same dose, twice a day. It's great you're home testing.

Normal blood glucose (BG) is 50 - 120mg/dL (2.8 - 6.7 mmol/L). With your cat's BG dropping to 2.7, you want to reduce the dose to 0.75u.

If your kitty is seeing numbers that are below 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L), I don't know if you have the data to shoot. Most of us have a spreadsheet with our cat's BG test data. This provides us with a sense of the pattern our cat's BG follows as well as a sense of whether it's safe to shoot. We recommend that if ou get a pre-shot test that's under 200/11.1, you post and ask for help.

You might want to look over this set of instructions on Shooting & Handling Low Numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.