New Version of Lantus Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dusty Bones, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

2. I wonder if the name means it would be a U300 concentration instead of U100? If so, that'll mean a whole new world, including different syringes. :)

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would not expect new syringes. You can use U30 insulin in U100 syringes. No real difference that using U40 insulin with U100 syringes. The FDA might not allow new syringes because of likelihood of users purchasing the wrong ones.

4. Larry, I'm figuring U300, not U30. If it is supposed to longer lasting with lower doses, it would need to be "more potent" wouldn't it?
    I agree on the syringe logic. People might buy the wrong ones.
    Since humans use larger doses in general, maybe a stronger potency is logical. Instead of twenty units, maybe they can shoot less? But it would wreak havoc with cat caregivers who already shoot amounts that are hard to see in the syringe.
    I guess we'll learn more about the new Lantus at some point...

5. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

It wouldn't necessarily be more potent just more stable with less peaks and valleys between injections.

6. From the Sanofi site. So it requires smaller doses?

7. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Yeah, looks like less frequent and lower dosing requirements with more consistent release. Should be a game changer!

8. The original article you posted explains the whole point(s) behind the new insulin.
    1- the patents for Lantus expire in 2015. Which I guess means that other companies would be able to produce the formula? Bright side for us is that would probably mean it would be cheaper?
    2 - Sanofi is the #2 company, behind Novordisk, in the world diabetes market. Their "new insulin" has been delayed by the USDA until at least 2017 for further studies. U300 could hit the market by 2015, giving Sanofi a two year jump on the competition. With annual sales just under one billion dollars by 2017.

I had no idea that "diabetes" is a $42 billion per year market! Holy carp!

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It says less volume, not less dose. One unit of insulin defined as:
    1. the activity contained in 1/22 mg of the international standard of zinc-insulin crystals.
    I suspect it is a higher concentration since large volume of Lantus does sting when injected. Likely it will only be sold only in pens where you just dial the dose in units.

10. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Straight from the article I posted: "The long-acting insulin, known as U300, requires less frequent or lower dosing than Lantus and offers a more consistent insulin release."

Either way, what I'm focusing on is the consistent insulin release that will result in less hypos and hypers. It should make every diabetic's life easier and in our case less too worry about during the night or while away from home and not watching our kitties. Hopefully our curves will be less curve and more straight lines.

11. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

This also makes me wonder if it might be the first 24-hour insulin for a cat? Imagine having to dose only once a day!

12. Mocha'sMom

Mocha'sMom Member

Smaller doses? :shock: It's so hard to see the ones we are doing now! To go smaller might be really hard, and easier to mess up nailbite_smile ...But to have a 24hr insulin would be really nice :roll:

13. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Like Larry said, it may only come in pens so you can dial in the dose with no or less error. Exiting times await us! :eek:

14. I think the issue with pens is that you can only adjust in full unit increments. Remember this is for human diabetes, and humans don't "micro-dose" like we do.
    It might be helpful for acro-cats, many of which are on Lev, in part due to the large dose "sting" that Larry mentioned.

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

As an FYI - there are at least 2 companies applying to produce a generic version of glargine, with a possibility of 2014-2015 marketing.

Mylan is one company

Some info on the patents involved here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.