New/Vetsulin dosage help

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by jcc1531, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcc1531

jcc1531 Member

Brief history:
    This is Peyton's 3rd bout with diabetes. First time was around 10 years ago and I just did what the vet said. No at home testing and used Humulin insulin.
    2nd diabetic episode was last summer. Monitored very closely at home, used Lantus insulin and was in remission within 2 months.
    3rd episode, using Vetsulin and was diagnosed a little over a week ago. He stayed at the vet all last week to get regulated but of course that didn't happen. 2 days at the vet his BG was almost normal and they didn't give him insulin those two days. Last day they started once a day insulin.
    I brought Peyton home Friday and the vet suggested 1 unit of Vetsulin once a day. I don't have all our supplies Saturday sonic started testing yesterday. I didn't want to start poking too much the first day so I only testing AMPS (am preshot). His BG was 148. I wish I would have tested him again but I didn't.
    This morning his AMPS was 134. I read about when this insulin is usually at its peak and tested him again then (BG 45). I fed him a slightly higher carb food and it increased to 53 after an hour.
    I called the vet to see if I should decrease the insulin to 0.75 units once a day but he recommended 1 unit every other day. That doesn't seem right to me so I wanted to ask the Vetaulin group.
    Peyton has gone into remission twice and I don't want to miss a chance to get him in remission again. Seems to me that skipping an entire day of insulin and then giving it would just confuse the pancreas. But what do I know? Ha!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Julie,

There really isn't a group of people on the Vetsulin forum since so few people here use it. You'd be better posting on Health.

Shooting once daily doesn't work well. It often means they are in decent numbers the first 12 hours and then high the second 12 because insulin only lasts 12 hours in cats. We also suggest not shooting under 200 until you have enough data to help you know what might happen with his levels.

Hope to see you on Health. I post over there.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I agree--main health is more traffic-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.