New with a question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rainwatersky, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwatersky

Rainwatersky New Member

Hi, my name is Rachel and my newly diabetic cat is Autumn. Shes 15 years old and also has kidney disease.
    I just gave her first insulin dose 40 min ago and I'm nervous about hypoglycemia. How long do I watch her? Would it onset quickly? The vet said it sometimes happens the first day because the insulin is a shock to the system.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

What type of insulin and how much did you give?

3. Rainwatersky

Rainwatersky New Member

Its lantis and her dose is .1 twice a day. Just gave her second dose actually it's been 12 hours.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Rachel and Autumn. I read your first post and your concerns about Autumn possibly experiencing a hypoglycemic event. I will tell you right now that just observing a cat isn't necessarily going to alert you to hypoglycemia. Many cats are without symptoms, until the hypoglycemia is severe enough and sometimes critically dangerous. The best way to keep Autumn safe is to test her blood sugar, just like human diabetics do. FDMB advocates testing before every injection to be sure it is safe to do so, and then during the 12 hour cycles to ensure the blood sugar is not dropping too low, and to track the insulin effects. If you or a loved one was diabetic, you would take every safety precaution to ensure health and well being.
    We can help you learn to safeguard Autumn, and to effectively treat the diabetes. A low carb wet diet is recommended, home testing and effective dosing with insulin. Please begin with visiting the FAQs forum HERE to begin learning about feline diabetes and how to help Autumn.
    A signature will help greatly by providing Autumn's pertinent information with each of your posts, here's how:
    click on your username in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using /glucose meter you're using/what she eats/any other meds or health issues she has.
    There is a wealth of information about the insulin you are using in the Lantus forum HERE
    I know there is a great deal of information that you will be reading through and you will have many questions. Please post in the Main Health forum http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/ so that more members can review and respond. This Introduction forum is only the welcome mat and we want to help you effectively on this new journey.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree with the above suggestion to test. It will take much of the stress away from guessing of she's too low or if a dose is too much or too little. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.