New with Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Martas, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Martas

Martas Member

Hello!
    we are new with lantus. We come from prozinc. Today is the first day, we started with 2 ui. I am very excited about the change, to see if it helps little Cuki. I'm also terrified.
    apologies for the language, I am using a translator

a hug

Diane M and Zorro's mom like this.
  2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Lantus world! There are amazing people on here and if you have any questions or concerns just ask:bighug:

Martas likes this.
  3. Martas

Martas Member

thank you!
    very new everything compared to prozinc
    I'm trying to see what are the important hours to test Cuki, since I spend many hours away from home, alternate hours, and at night it is almost impossible
    I have to do a planning!!

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to the group! Where are you located? We have a number of international members and we may have someone who speaks your native language.

There are several differences between Lantus and ProZinc.
    • First, are you using U100 syringes? Prozinc uses U40 syringes so I'm hoping your vet told you about the difference. You do not want to use the needles that come with a Lantus pen -- the pens only dispense insulin in 1.0u increments and we change doses on 0.25u amounts.
    • Lantus (and Levemir) are both long-acting, depot-types of insulin. Prozinc is not as long acting nor does it form a depot. Because Lantus is a depot insulin, it takes several cycles for the depot to stabilize after a change in dose
    • With Prozinc, dosing is primarily based on pre-shot number. With Lantus, dosing is based on the lowest number in the cycle -- the nadir. This means you need to get tests during both the AM and PM cycles in addition to your pre-shot tests.
    Please let us know if your have questions.

Martas likes this.
  6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Welcome Martas & Cuki! People will help walk you through each step :). I see you've already got Sienne and Gabby on the thread here so you are in amazing hands :D.

Martas and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  7. Martas

Martas Member

Hello!
    thank you!
    We are from Spain
    I'm using u100
    The main problem is that I work 3 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon and at night I work 8 hours in the house of an old woman. That is why I seek to organize for the better control of Cuki.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  8. Martas

Martas Member

Thank you very much!

9. Martas

Martas Member

VerĂ³nica explained to me the operation of Lantus and has advised me the new syringes of 0.3 ml

10. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Martas, Hi again. Don't be terrified, the people here will help you. They are terrific. When you can, edit your signature to reflect that you are using Lantus and what the dosage is.

On your spreadsheet, you can make a blank line between when you used Prozinc and when you started Lantus. Write in that line that you started Lantus so the members know when the change happened and can see the differences in the BG readings. If you need help doing that, there are members who can do it for you.

Martas likes this.
  11. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Bienvenidos, Martas y Cuki!

Martas likes this.
  12. Martas

Martas Member

Hi again! I have made a green line to separate, now I will correct my signature! Thank you very much!

Idjit's mom likes this.
  13. Martas

Martas Member

Thank you very much!!

14. Martas

Martas Member

in depot means that when it is filled, in a few days, her numbers will go down more? or what does it mean?

15. Martas

Martas Member

I shot at 9.30. I leave home at 10.30 until 13.30
    I go back out at 17.30 until 8.30
    Shot at 21.30 and leave from 24.30 to 8.30
    Is it a bad schedule for lantus?

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Martas likes this.
  17. Diane M

Diane M Member

good luck to you both!...Muffin is new to Lantus also...from ProZinc. And I'm terrified, too. I will keep my fingers crossed for both Cuki and my Muffin. By the way, how many units of ProZinc was Cuki on?

Martas likes this.
  18. Martas

Martas Member

Hello!
    Good luck for your kitten too!

she did not exceed 2.5 ui of prozinc, there she had a hypo that I did NOT detect, and the vet reduced my dose by half. And we started again, but when she added the dose she also raised her preshot, and had a lower nadir with 1.5 ui than with 2. I do not understand it, that's why the change.

this morning it was 539, but at +2 280
    I do not know if it's good or if it got too low!

It's very scary, a lot.

19. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! Try not to be too scared! It will be ok....

You'll get lots of great advice here!

That is quite a drop from 539 to 280 which means the insulin is working. Is your kitty eating well? Have you changed her diet recently?

Again, please keep posting - you'll get lots of support and help here :)

Martas likes this.
  20. Martas

Martas Member

Hello! thank you!

I feel insecure with all the changes, it will happen to me, I hope.

cuki was with wet without carbohydrates for 4 months, until he developed ibd and pancreatic insufficiency. That is the diagnosis of her new veterinarian. For 25 days it has been dry and humid. the plans are to return to the wet as soon as possible, but it is difficult because she only wants a wet one, which she can not eat. I keep trying wet with it. She has a very strong allergy, both in skin and digestive. says the veterinarian that when we stabilize her allergy, her numbers will go down.

she is eating 60 grams of dry and about 140 grams of wet a day. She also takes 10 days with Lypex pancreatic enzymes.

hugs!

21. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

we all worry
    we all want the best for our cats
    you are not alone

change is constant with our cats with diabetes, nothing stays the same at least in the early stages :rolleyes: :arghh:

welcome to the community :bighug::bighug:

you will get all the help you want, here :smuggrin:

22. Martas

Martas Member

I know, we all worry a lot. It's so hard not to have control of everything!
    Hugs!