New with so many questions!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nemosmomma, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Hello all!
    On Friday my 15 year old boy, Nemo, was diagnosed with diabetes! I thought my head was gonna explode! First he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. We got that under control and then he was diagnosed with kidney disease. He was still acting really off, even with sub q fluids, so the vet wanted to do more bloodwork to make sure he wasn't in total kidney failure. This is when his BG showed 524! I was given a ton of info and sent on my way to try to find a way to get the insulin. I was a total wreck and my head was spinning...I'm sure y'all have been there! By the grace of God I was able to get the insulin so I could start him last night. Today he had canned food 3 times, he doesn't eat alot, and got 2 injections. He's on 1unit every 12 hours. I have to say this is the first day in months he acted more like his old self. I've been reading and reading everything I can and I'm working on getting a glucometer asap. My biggest issue now is the food. I NEED HELP!! I have a total of 5 cats who are used to free feeding dry food and getting canned twice a day. Now that I've read all these things about diet and dry food I feel like a bad mom! I'll deal with that later, what I need to know is how to transition everyone to just canned?? Or can I leave alittle low carb dry food out and increase their canned to three times a day? If no on the dry food can I leave canned out throughout the day? I just don't know where to start and I want to do what's best for all my kids, but especially Nemo. I just lost his sister to cancer in March, I can't lose him too because I made a mistake! Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Canned is best. But if you want to leave a little dry, there are only a handful of dry low carb foods. I leave out a little epigen 90 for my non diabetics (8 carb I believe). Another acceptable one is Dr elsley's clean protein chicken and Young Again Zero carb(my cats like it but it gives them the runs).

Nemosmomma likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Nemo
    It is a steep learning curve in the beginning and it is normal to feel stressed. We all felt like that at first. But you have come to the right place.
    Can you tell us what type of insulin you are giving Nemo?
    That is really good you are going to home test the blood sugars....well done. If you have any issues, just ask for help. Here is a link to home testing
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    If you could set up your signature by following the link below, it would be very helpful to people helping you and they won't have to keep asking the same questions. Here is the link
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    Here is a link to FAQ
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/
    I would recommend you copy and paste your post over onto the main forum where there are a lot more people to help you. Ask lots of questions. Here is the link to th main forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/
    Bron

Nemosmomma likes this.
  4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome!!

Take a big breath all of this can be seriously overwhelming at first but it does get easier.

Regarding the food, the best you can do (for them and for you) is change everyone to wet low carb food, it may take a while because each cat is different, when I did it three of the switched without any trouble and with the first plate I gave them but the fourth one took about 2 months to transition, what I did is I gave her her dry food under my supervision and whatever food I left out was the wet low carb (carbohydrates) only.

I can leave the wet food out for a few hours without any problem but maybe the best is to get a time feeder because that way it won't get dry and you can even place an ice bag in it if it's going to be several hours.

Also you can make food icicles, just add a bit of water to the food and put it in the freezer ( in ice cube trays or something like it ) then when you want to leave them food you take one out and leave it after a few hours it would be melted and ready for them to eat.

Also it would be good if you could post his lab results to get an idea of how's he doing and what stage of CKD (chronic kidney desease ) he is, what his phosphorus levels are, depending on that you may need to give him not only wet but also low phosphorus but not the prescription kidney food because that one is very very high in carbohydrates and it won't help his diabetes

Nemosmomma likes this.
  5. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

I'm new too on my 2nd week and felt overwhelmed also when I found out. THEY will easily transition to can food and even my vet says to leave out for grazing alittle of my Costco Kirkland signature they lived on pretty exclusively until the last two weeks. Feeding 3 times daily now Friskies, 9lives and Special Kitty from Wally world and still dreading giving Simba the poke for blood. *Like Maya Angelou said. Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better do better. :^)

Nemosmomma likes this.
  6. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank you so much for that info! This last week has been crazy trying to figure things out , talking to the vets office, trying to find an AlphaTRAK monitor to borrow so I can do his glucose curve at home...etc. This site has been such a HUGE HELP and knowing I'm not alone is such a comfort! Thanks again oh and awesome quote!!

7. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank you for all the info and link's! This week has been so crazy that I didn't even have a chance to check the replies. I just posted a plea foe help on the main forum and now I'll go back to your links and do all that. Thank you so much!! Amy and Nemo

8. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank you for all that advice!! I'm gonna get all his info posted as soon as possible!!

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy and Nemo, be assured that you are going to get the help you need here. I was also one of the "stunned" ones on diagnosis, and found the information and support I needed right here. I found many other sites with great information, but this is "home" because of the support system and wonderful people.
    Step by step, you are going to learn to manage and integrate Nemo's care into your life. You are definitely not alone. Hundreds of us here, all behind you. :bighug:

10. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank you so very much! I know with all the sites I looked at I was always referred back here! Not feeling so alone helps so much!!

11. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Amy, I am so glad to read your response. It is a bit unnerving, I know..but you can do this and we will help you every way we can.

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You can get an Alphatrak on amazon. A starter kit is like $50. Insulinx strips work in in and are much less expensive than the Alphatrak strips. ($35/100)

Nemosmomma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.