New Year’s Eve dilemma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

so Truffles has recovered from the virus but I am really struggling to sort his levels this time. I am out to friends for dinner tonight to see in the new year. He would be due a shot at 9pm normally so should I just skip tonight and start again in the morning?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Are you going to already be gone at shot time? If not, would you be comfortable giving a reduced dose?

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I guess my first question was stupid. You said you are out for dinner, so you probably will not be home at shot time. But, you did not say when you will be leaving. I think that matters. If you are leaving late enough that Truffles glucose is already high enough to shoot, you could give a small dose, if you are comfortable with it. If not, you could do as you said and just skip and start again tomorrow.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I've given Teasel's Lantus dose as late as 2 hours after his normal time with no adjustment to dose size AND dose size or timing the next morning - no negative effect at all. And it's a depot insulin! It was an experiment to see what would happen and ... nothing awful. Broke the rules, I know. :)

5. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

We are out by 5.45. Shot due 9pm back after midnight depending on weather! He is at 69 +6 so nice and low. Going to have to miss tonight and I might give earlier tomorrow morning.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd skip

Anne Biddle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.