Newbie and anxious

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cema18, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cema18

cema18 New Member

Shakey was just diagnosed Monday. Brought him into the vet because he was drinking a lot of water which was not usual. He has been with us since the day he was born and is currently 12 years old. He has cerebellum hyperplasia but doesn't know he is handicapped. I quite anxious about the idea of giving him shots every day and testing. We have an appointment with the vet tech tomorrow to teach us how. We have a colony of stray cats most of which were feral and showed up for a free meal. Shakey was born to one of the feral cats before she was trapped and neutered.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It is overwhelming in the beginning, but it gets better. The shots and testing will be 'no big deal' in no time at all... really!

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome. Learning to inject the insulin and home testing can seem daunting at first, but it does become part of your daily routine. Please let us help you learn more about the processes and help you feel more comfortable. If you haven't already, go back to the Home Page and and read the "Getting Started" section and then the "Education". I know I had to go back over some of the topics and not everything was clear at the beginning. Ask questions and bring up issues in the Health (Main) Forum. More members view those posts and will be able to respond.

cema18 likes this.
  4. cema18

cema18 New Member

Thank you!

5. cema18

cema18 New Member

Thank you. I have been reading everything on this website and watched some videos too. My vet recommended this site.

Uno's mom and Idjit's mom like this.
  6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Isn't that terrific that your vet recommended the board! This is such a supportive community and I hope you find everything you need here. As soon as you can, create your signature so that Shakey's information is available when you post. It can be updated at any time if things change. Here is a link on how to do this: SIGNATURE
    I don't know if you have noticed but we use a spreadsheet to track the insulin injection times/doses as well as all the blood sugar level tests. This spreadsheet is linked to the signature and then is also available to members when you have questions or concerns. I will include the link for that also: SPREADSHEET
    If you have any problems setting up the spreadsheet, there are members who can help. :cat:

Uno's mom likes this.
  7. Uno's mom

Uno's mom Member

Welcome to the group! I'm jealous that you have a vet that is supportive of the FDMB. My vet became very cocky and hostile when I mentioned I had been doing research on feline diabetes with the help of the FDMB.

It really does get easier and the happiness I feel in being able to help my sweet boy (whose mom was also a feral kitty I adopted) is beyond measure:) and makes all the testing and shots worth it.

Best of luck to you and your kitty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.