Newbie - Aspen the cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Aspen, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aspen

Aspen New Member

Hi there, My cat Aspen was diagnosed in early August. Since then, we've switched him from dry food to wet canned food. He is also getting 1.0 units of Lantus every 12 hours (as prescribed by the vet). I did not want Aspen to suffer through a curve at the vet b/c of both cost and stress level for the cat. Yesterday, our Contour next EZ glucose monitor arrived and we are starting the home monitoring process. Our first test was at +7 hours after the AM feed; his reading was 80. We are planning to test him again right before his PM feed and Lantus shot.

We want to try and do a mini-curve at home tomorrow. Any advice as to how/when/what intervals to perform a mini-curve would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Typically, a full curve is from pre-shot to pre-shot, testing every 2 hours.
    A mini-curve is from pre-shot to pre-shot, testing every 3 hours.

3. Aspen

Aspen New Member

Thanks, BJM. I'm still trying to get the hang of getting enough blood from the ear. I poked my poor cat 5 times before I got enough blood.

I'm doing it free hand with a lancet but might try using the pen next.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you absolutely have to get blood (ex possible hypo), aim directly for the vein. Just be prepared to get the droplet quickly and blot, as it may bleed profusely and one good head shake will spatter blood everywhere!

5. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@Aspen , Using a very tiny amount of ointment, such as neopsorin, polysporin or even vaseline with a q-tip can help bead up the blood. Dab a tiny amount on the ear before you poke.

I freehand. I use a cosmetic pad to hold the ear in place and poke. Then I use the pad to gentle blot off any blood.

Another tip is warming up your cat's ear first. Many use a sock heated up with rice. I used a warm (not hot) damp wash cloth inside a ziplock bag and apply it to CJ's ear before I apply the ointment and poke.

What size gauge are you using? Starting out, we suggest using a 26 or 28 gauge. You'll get blood more easily. Alternatively, if you have a thinner gauge such as a 30 gauage, you can try poking twice or more in the same area.

It is helpful to aim for the "sweet spot", the area between the vein and the outer ear. Click on image below.

I'd suggest going to the Lantus forum for help because you've got really great BG (blood glucose) #'s and you may or may not need to give the PM shot.

Look at BJM's glucometer notes in her signature line above. It is very handy. You don't want Aspen's BG #'s to fall under 50.

Attached Files:

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Aspen

Aspen New Member

Thanks for the helpful advice, Cat Ma. I am using 30 gauge so I will try poking twice in the same spot. I am still pretty nervous when I poke Aspen, so although I try aiming for the "sweet spot", I might be missing.

His numbers do look very promising, but it's early and I'm not convinced I'm doing it all correctly.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

7. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

8. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I was nervous in the beginning and worried CJ would grow to hate me but she actually sits on command and waits to be poked now! I found using a 26 gauge (any brand from any store is fine; I buy mine from Walmart) easiest and fastest to get blood. You'll find what works best for you. It takes practice but it will get easier.

Cat's have few nerve receptors in their ears so the poking doesn't hurt them. The more you poke, the easier blood will flow because poking helps create new and more capillaries.

This will get easier! You are doing a great job!

9. Aspen

Aspen New Member

Thanks again, Cat Ma! I aim to do a curve tomorrow and will look for help analyzing the results on the Lantus Forum.

Cat Ma likes this.
  10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@Aspen, the #'s continue to look good. Have you had better luck getting blood today?

11. Aspen

Aspen New Member

Yes, thanks! I've been using your suggestions and it's getting easier. He still flinches when I poke him but hopefully that will pass. :)

Cat Ma and Critter Mom like this.
  12. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

You're doing a terrific job! Keep up the great job with those green #'s!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.